October 19th, 2008

State polls show Obama with advantage in key battlegrounds

Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.
Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.

(CNN) - A string of new state polls suggests Barack Obama still holds an advantage in several key battleground states, and is within single digits in a state that has voted Republican in the last two presidential elections.

New CNN poll of polls in three swing states - Ohio, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - show the Illinois senator with a lead, while a new poll in West Virginia puts John McCain ahead.

In Ohio, the latest CNN poll of polls shows Obama with a 1 point lead over McCain, 47 to 46 percent while the Illinois senator has a 13 point lead in a Wisconsin poll of polls and a 8 point lead in a Minnesota poll of polls.

Both Minnesota and Wisconsin voted for John Kerry in 2004 while Ohio has gone to the Republicans in the last two elections.

Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-41 percent. It's a considerably smaller gap than the 13-point margin of victory President Bush garnered there in 2004.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said in a taped-message to supporters Sunday that the campaign will be pouring resources into West Virginia during the final two weeks of the presidential race in hopes of turning it blue.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Lise

Some Americans might be happy and others upset at hearing that the MAJORITY of Canadians are excited about Sen Obama... We have our own T-shirts supporting Obama!!! He would be elected here by a landslide!!!
    The WHOLE WORLD would feel more secure if Obama got elected instead of the war-happy McCain!!! He seriously sounds scary!!! Too old, too not-with-it!, erratic, impulsive, angry... does not inspire confidence!
    God bless Sen. Obama! God bless the USA!

October 19, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  2. Gordi Canada

November 4 is going to be game 7 for me int the stanley cup playoffs,
    I will be so nervous all day at work...I don't have a vote but I be so sad if Obama dosn't win,Please everyone get out to vote . Iwill give Mcsame credit for how funny he was at that chaity roast ,he beat Obama there,but not to lead your country.Good news about Powel.I wouldn't be shocked to see more GOPsjump ship for the sake of
    future of the USA.In closing I will say if you guys elect Obama ,I will never again call you all red necks!

October 19, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  3. Ohioan for Obama

Vote early and then help others get to the polls on November 4. A new day is coming.

Good-bye Sen. McSame and Gov. Barbie Barracuda.

October 19, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  4. Patrick, Takoma Park MD

We're close to the finish line, but this is no time for Obama supporters to relax. Go to BarackObama.com and look for a way to get involved.

October 19, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  5. pol

Rally of Palin in swim suit – the last chance for McCain. May be with Syndy but I am not sure about her,..We are so stupid and exitable!

October 19, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  6. Ian Phillips

Powell is quite correct about the transformational remark.
    The world is waiting for the USA to return to being a full partner not a bully. Obama inspires me with hope

October 19, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  7. Linda, Allen, TX

Go to the polls as soon as they open for early voting and vote for Obama. Tell all your friends you did, and encourage them to do so as well. This is no time to get cocky.......it is time to get out the vote!

October 19, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  8. maurice

hmmmmmmmmmm maybe cnn ran off the other guys with there unfair/biased reporting on obama.as i see there are fewer and fewer repubs posting here and have posted on other sites. just remember cnn when the election is over some people will remember your 1 sided ticker. and reporting.

October 19, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  9. Paul Lennon

I have to agree with Palin on this one.

Obama has not once talked about how to lower the national Debt
    The country we once knew is no longer, thanks to wall street rip off

This is no time for socialism

October 19, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  10. J.V.Hodgson

If the last 8 years represent the epitomy of the American dream then maybe we could all agree to vote Republican. The fact is Joe the plumber is not a plumber (unlicensed) and cannot be part of the American dream on what he earns. He cannot buy that business other than with another sub prime loan!
    Maybe Ed the dairyman does not even know how to milk a cow!? But on the other hand of course is making a lot of money out of the high milk price out of the rest of us.
    If you share how those dreams are being fulfilled best of luck to you.
    Palin continues to be an empty vessel making a lot of noise and contributuing nothing other than rabid unjustified nonsense thats speaks loudly and untruthfully basically to base that is illogically enraged and studiously avoids the real issues facing America and the the international community both economically and diplomatically;
    I wonder why, not really she was a fatally flawed choice as VP. Oh sorry I forgot, she was mayor of Wasilla, governor of Alaska for 2 years and a PTA member and the ethics of a pit bull = bite first and decide after if you did the right thing since winning is all that matters!!
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

October 19, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  11. TT

If you don't vote in this election, stop complaining for the next 4 years.
    At least.

October 19, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  12. Western Voter

Finally we may get a president that makes us proud to be Americans...Americans need to take responsibility for the outcome of elections...in a democracy you get what you deserve.

I believe America is a great nation...and it deserves a great president...that is why I have already voted for Obama.

October 19, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  13. go away mongers- Ventura,CA

I remember West Virginia in the Primary---Hmmmmm. For such a beautiful State, I really wonder about their thought processes.
    Obama will win in a LANDSLIDE.

October 19, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  14. pol

Do this country wants to have a president who loves to be underdog? President – not leader but underdog. Under everybody – that is what the world is waiting from America?

October 19, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  15. It's a shame

With all the hate and stupidity and division that has come from McSame and crew, I just don't know why people would still vote for them. They now sound like the people that fought against the civil rights movement. He has offered nothing and people are just cheering them on. But I guess we are creatures of habit as they say. For the small minded people don't get this wrong, am not saying Obama is Jesus. But when the king asked who did they want? They asked for Barabus. Of course Jesus had to give his life that we may obtain life, but they looked change right in the eye and asked for evil.

Obama/Biden 08/12

October 19, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  16. Don of Wisconsin

What disturbs me most about Illinois Senator Obama's campaign, is his horrific emphasis on "Vote Early". Anyone out there old enough to remember the Chicago currupt political system's mantra of "Vote Early and Often"?

Yes, CNN, I know that this will be "moderated" until 'comments are closed for this article'. N'est-ce pas?

October 19, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  17. pol

Does this country want to have president McUnderdog?

October 19, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  18. KC

I was just on FOX news and am just amazed! Now all the rupublicans are calling Colin Powell a nut job! Well let me tell ya, I have been a life time republican supporter and I agree with Powell. Obama all the way.

October 19, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  19. Wayne D. PA

Remember 2000 it can get stolen from us take somebody to vote if they need a ride. Get here early because after 5pm you have to stay in line. 2008 for Obama/Biden

October 19, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  20. clarity

Senator Obama is running a brilliant campaign.

October 19, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  21. Arizona Democrat

It is no wonder Obama is up in these states. Poeple are now educated and not as dumb as MCcain might think. Planting Joes the Plumber is just trying to get poeple to go MCcains way. MCcain you can fool our mothers and fathers but you cant fool us. Your ship with Palin is sinking.

October 19, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  22. judy - san leandro, ca

I agree all of Obama's supporters should go out and vote no matter what the weathers like or how long the lines we make our vote count in record numbers and rely an important message to McSame/Palin that we the people want Real Change we are sick and tired and Eight years is ENOUGH!

I've already have my abstenee ballot and I will be definitely voting and will call my 20 year son who just registered to vote this year as a democrat to fill out his ballot early so I can drop them both off in the mail on time.

This is our time America we need to Elect Senator Obama as President on November 4th.

October 19, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  23. John in DC

I wish I had $150 million to spend in 1 month and 4 days. Whew!!!

October 19, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  24. Pat

McCain and Palin's lies and half truths are truly nauseating. They spin whatever side of the issue Obama stands on to bring it over to their side and actually think we aren't going to notice! Sarah Palin needs to dial a clue and a prayer. And if McCain says "My Friends or "My Friend" one more time I'll be sending him my bill for a new TV as he will be the reason I put my foot through it! Thank you for allowing me to share my last two cents worth.

October 19, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  25. Thomas

Sorry I don't trust the guy and I also don't trust Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reed or the media. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

October 19, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |