October 19th, 2008

State polls show Obama with advantage in key battlegrounds

Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.
Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.

(CNN) - A string of new state polls suggests Barack Obama still holds an advantage in several key battleground states, and is within single digits in a state that has voted Republican in the last two presidential elections.

New CNN poll of polls in three swing states - Ohio, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - show the Illinois senator with a lead, while a new poll in West Virginia puts John McCain ahead.

In Ohio, the latest CNN poll of polls shows Obama with a 1 point lead over McCain, 47 to 46 percent while the Illinois senator has a 13 point lead in a Wisconsin poll of polls and a 8 point lead in a Minnesota poll of polls.

Both Minnesota and Wisconsin voted for John Kerry in 2004 while Ohio has gone to the Republicans in the last two elections.

Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-41 percent. It's a considerably smaller gap than the 13-point margin of victory President Bush garnered there in 2004.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said in a taped-message to supporters Sunday that the campaign will be pouring resources into West Virginia during the final two weeks of the presidential race in hopes of turning it blue.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. tefera

Go obama!!

October 19, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  2. KC

Is there any republican out there that can post any TRUE reasons why I should vote McCain? I meen realy! Give me one good reason! No, not this time, I belive in hope not hipe.

October 19, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  3. Abe

Don of Wisconsin,
    What will you rather the voters do? Wait till election day even when they've already decided. Your charges of voting often is patently false and seems designed to smear more negativity on the Obama / Biden Campaign. The truth of the matter is voting is a choice and the timing is personal. All the Obama/Biden Campaign are trying to do is encouraged voters to go to the poll early, is it a crime?

October 19, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  4. NC Mom

Republicans are claiming that anyone who disagrees is not "pro-American". If you are from the democratic leaning section of Virginia, you are not a "real Virginian". McCain/Palin will can never bring the country together if the Republican key strategy is based on divisiveness and really ugly attacks. I hope more and more Americans see through this, and Obama's lead widens.

October 19, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  5. nb

Four stars in our korner the Black man has arrived we have ourserflves
    some army leaderchip now. Oboma and Biden it is time to vote him into power.

October 19, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  6. michael

pack your bags McCain your vitriolic campaign is over thank God. you have done more to divide this country than you ever have to unite it..you and the Mrs Palin that is good riddance!!

October 19, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  7. Seanie

Thank You Gen. Powell for the heartful and truthful endorsement of Senator Obama. A true honest leader. This make my heart fill with so much joy. He is truly putting this country first.

Everyone please get out and VOTE on Nov. 4.

October 19, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  8. Jean-Philippe Montout

To The Editor,

As a US black immigrant from the French West Indies, Guadeloupe, now an American citizen, I have supported the Senator Obama for many reasons and will vote for him on November 4th. His impact to the African, carribean, European world is overhelming and affecting millions of us. My brothers, and sisters living in Paris, along with most europeans see in Barack as a complete makeover of the world economic, social, and cultural development, that we have not seen or experiencing before. I believe he will be bringing not only a change to the American social and cultural identity, but also a new image of America around the world. The foreign Media accross the Globe is watching, and hoping for theNew United States of America that will emerge should he be elected The President of the United State of America.

Best Regards,
    JP

October 19, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  9. Emmanuel

The race is almost over ,i wish a lot of luck to the two candidates but i hope that Senator Brack Obama will be the next president of he united sttes of america.
    God bless them and bless america.
    thank you.

October 19, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  10. obamagurl@tx.rr.com

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE-GET OUT THE VOTE AND VOTE EARLY!!! I'M GOING TOMORROW IN PLANO, TEXAS. GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!

October 19, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  11. Alaskan For Obama

I gotta admit that I was way excited to vote when Obama and McCain were close in Alaska but then McSame had to go and pick Palin taking all of the joy out of my vote. I will vote anyway because I believe you have no right to say anything about this country if you didn't vote. Anyway, I hope the people in Colorado, Nevada, Ohio, Virginia, Florida, and North Carolina appreciate the opportunity to really make their votes count and not take it for granted, because some of us don't stuck in strictly blue or red states don't get the opportunity to really make our voices heard in elections like you do.

October 19, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  12. obamagurl@tx.rr.com

TAKE A FRIEND WITH YOU EARLY VOTE, WE KNOW THE REPUBLICANS ARE TRYING TO SET THE STAGE FOR A RECOUNT!!!!!!!!!! DON'T BE FOOLED BY THEIR SHENANNIGANS!!!!!!!! WE CAN TAKE BAKE OUR COUNTRY!! "YES WE CAN"

October 19, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  13. Louise G.

I pray to God each night that Obama/Biden will win this election. I do pray that in the morning when my husband & I awake that Obama will be more up in the polls.All we have to do is listen, read, and look at what Sen.McCain/Palin is all about. Palin & Todd don't even like America, so why is she here. Think people, think, God gave us the ability to think for ourselves, use the knowledge that you have. None of us are dumines. At least I know I am not. God Bless AMERICA, land of the FREE and Home OF THE BRAVE.GO OBAMA/BIDEN 8/12.

October 19, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  14. Ohioan for Obama

I am an old Independent who voted for Obama. I know two retired independents who voted for Obama and one fundamentalist Bush voter will vote for Obama.

GoObama/Biden

October 19, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  15. obamagurl@tx.rr.com

OOPS I MISSPELLED "BACK" SORRY FOR THAT.

October 19, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  16. Thomas

With all the media bias, voter fraud and hollywood attacks Mr. O should be leading by 20 points or more. What seems to be the problem. ya'll. People don't like the hateful venom democrats are obsessed with.

October 19, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  17. Emmanuel

Who ever want the real change for our country need to vote on november 4th,if you want to be part of the history with Senator Barack Obama as our next and first Black president of the united states of america,you need to get out of your bed and go to the poll and make your vote count.Vote for Barack Obama.

October 19, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  18. Danny, TX

I'm in TX. I knew this is Republican backbone, but I vote for Obama anyway. My vote probably doesn't help Obama win this state, but I vote for what I think is right.

October 19, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  19. G.W.McPain

McCain and Palin represent Charles the Wall Street Investment Banker and Don the oil executive. No wonder they get upset when Barrack talks about raising their taxes. What they don't get, just like they don't get anything about the economy, is that Joe the plumber and Ed the Dairy Man do not make 250000 a year even in Alaska and Arizona.

After 8 years of Bill and a horrible 8 years of Bush, America will have another 8 years of B, B for Barrack, B for the end of Backward 18th century Republican ideas, B for the beginning of 21st century America, B for Biden.

Go and see yourself in the mirror John and Sarah, you will be surprised to see George the President that was and Dick the VP that was (or wasn't :))

October 19, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  20. The Smartest People are for McCain!

Colin Powell dropped the ball. He will now become a minor footnote in history. Regardless of how he may try to spin it, he jettisoned all his Republican principles to vote for a socialist/communist – simply because he's black. What a small, petty and insignificant man! What a disgrace!

October 19, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  21. obamagurl@tx.rr.com

"Thomas" you're right, "absolute power does corrupts absolutely" just look at what the Republicans have gotten us into. Two wars, trillilion dollars worth of debt from the war, no bid contracts Halliburton- "Darth Cheney", disregarding of military families be repetitive tours of duty, decrease in enlisted men, lack of accountability from "your President Bush", blurring of lines in the separation of powers, need I say more...

VOTE OBAMA!!!

October 19, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  22. david davis

For the sake of your children's future, just say NO to Obama.

October 19, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  23. Darryl

Way to Go Colin Powell.

October 19, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  24. allan

Its incredible to hear the FOX channel promoting hate and division I even hear Joe in the morning calling Obama Socialist. Its incredible to hear this. People dont be fool The Republican and only the Republican are responsible for everything gone wrong in this country. The unprecedented power, goverment involvement in our life, The wars my son is fighting in, The new socialist system they got us in, look at our schools, health system, and now add to all this the country division they are engaging. My friends is a crime what the Republicans have done and they should be punish and punish hard a good 8 years out of goverment should do it. Dont be fool lets make them pay nation wide. We need them out of there we need to help our country, our people, our kids and our future generations. I know the Republicans think they are the only real Americans and the rest of us are just the rest. We should show them diversity and unity not like their rallies where theirs no diversity. We are a country of white, blacks, latinos, asians, europeans, middle eastern, jews. We are all one we are United States of America.

Nov 4 for a change and the unity of our country.

Obama/Biden 2008

October 19, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  25. Vahagn Mkhikian

OF course Obama says to vote early because Republicans are known for disenfranchising poorer voters when election day comes. Not to mention, you get your vote out of the way and don't have to worry about long lines.

I'm in California and I WISH we got to vote early.

October 19, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |