October 19th, 2008

State polls show Obama with advantage in key battlegrounds

Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.
Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.

(CNN) - A string of new state polls suggests Barack Obama still holds an advantage in several key battleground states, and is within single digits in a state that has voted Republican in the last two presidential elections.

New CNN poll of polls in three swing states - Ohio, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - show the Illinois senator with a lead, while a new poll in West Virginia puts John McCain ahead.

In Ohio, the latest CNN poll of polls shows Obama with a 1 point lead over McCain, 47 to 46 percent while the Illinois senator has a 13 point lead in a Wisconsin poll of polls and a 8 point lead in a Minnesota poll of polls.

Both Minnesota and Wisconsin voted for John Kerry in 2004 while Ohio has gone to the Republicans in the last two elections.

Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-41 percent. It's a considerably smaller gap than the 13-point margin of victory President Bush garnered there in 2004.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said in a taped-message to supporters Sunday that the campaign will be pouring resources into West Virginia during the final two weeks of the presidential race in hopes of turning it blue.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Anonymous

Go Obama – he will be the best President EVER!

October 19, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  2. Joe

Republicans are disgraceful bunch of......you know what...I am sick of them...I used to respect John McCain But he has shown his true side, with all the negative ads, picking Sara Palin.....making ultra stupid calls on economy and suspending the campaign...

I have lost all my respect for John McCain. I mean this man accused bush of so much that he is doing. he accuses Obama of so much that he himself is doing...

Sarah Palin and Todd palin belong to Independent party group, something like that...Search them on GOOGLE...

What that means is that, This group wants separation of alaska from america....They want alaska to be independent country.....

VOTE DEMOCRATS

October 19, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  3. Remy

Obama shows courage and honesty on issues affecting Americans but McCain/Palin shows their inability to deal with issues. McCain/Palin talk some sensational stories like RUMBO and that never solve the problems of the people!

Remy, Canada.

October 19, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  4. Not Surprised At All!

YAWN ... who really thought that a liberal black man wouldn't endorse a socialist black man? This ain't news folks! The news is coming ... trust me when I tell you that Obama will never be the leader of the free world. If he becomes the leader ... you won't be free!

October 19, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  5. diakenpoy

People, you are approving stealing hard earned money from somebody to give to you as tax cut. Obama's plan of spreading wealth is take from the rich and give to the poor. What happens to the people that earned their money working hard. What of them? Wonder how low Obama looks at the american now. This is not about racism, or experiences, its plain not right!

October 19, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  6. Lynn

CNN is always behind! Other polls have had Obama up in Ohio for at least a week!

October 19, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  7. Barr 2008

WRITE IN BARR!

Real Republicans are voting for BARR !

October 19, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  8. Scott in PA

"Planted" Joe the Plummer?? So Obama went door to door in a neighborhood that his campaign hand-picked, and somehow McCain was able to "plant him". Are you serious???

Obama is preaching socialisim and he could not of been more clear about his intentions.

October 19, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  9. Robert

I thought that the Republican Party stood for free markets, for fiscal restraint and, in general, for less government in our lives. Now, after 8 years of a republican administration, we are faced with less privacy, greater deficits, and what amounts to semi-nationalization of the banking sector. The Republican Party cater to the social issues of former Dixie Democrats so much that it now staggers to the far right like someone whose had far too much drink. What else explains the choice of an unqualified candidate for Vice President? McCain, a man I used to trust and respect, now acts more like a puppet of the RNC than the "maverick" he used to be. I refuse to give this empty shell of what was once the party of Lincoln my vote ! The Republican party I grew up with has lost its identity. And I am voting for Obama.

October 19, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  10. Sarah

I think the choice is becoming very clear now...
    Obama/ Biden or goodbye America. A drastic change is needed and it is coming

October 19, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  11. jonathan

Nobody talked about absolute power when Bush had a Republican Congress. So why now? When someone can come up with a legitimate criticism that is not counteracted by fact and/or precedent (i.e., Republican's engaging in similar acts that they now consider the domain of Democrats, registration and voter fraud for example), let me know.

October 19, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  12. Doug

Vote however you want, but vote and do it based on policies and not hoopla. Support neither a maverick nor a messiah – just ask yourself – based on their stated policies – what do these guys mean for you if elected. Are they going to spend more, or less? On what? Can America afford it? Does America need it? What are the economic and social implications of your choice? And who will be pulling their strings? It's really a big deal. And – media stories aside – I don't think either candidate is a demonstrated leader. You have a choice between an anointed and gifted – but unproven – rookie versus a determined and experienced – but largely out of the GOP leadership loop – rebel. These are not the characteristics of a strong leader. Choose wisely and hold them accountable. The next eight years need to be so much better than the last eight.

October 19, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  13. Sarah

Come on Ohio,
    Please don't repeat your 2000 and 2004 mistakes!
    Obama/ Biden is the right choice

October 19, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  14. TheOneX

I think Obama is seriously brainwashing alot of people. I am very very smart when it comes to knowing people. No matter how much he says , it seems to drag people in. I will be voting democrat, but not because i believbe in Obama, but because that is who I am Democrat. But i seriously think Obama is brainwashing alot of people millions, in fact. That is the truth.

October 19, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  15. good morning iraq

Palin is absolutely right. All you Obama supports read up about Karl Marx and you'll see what socialism is all about. I know I don't want that for my country. I see no reason why I should pay taxes to help someone who is too lazy to work. I work with people on SSI or "welfare" and 75% of them could be working instead of taking a handout. But they won't give up their monthly check to even try! These are the people who will benefit the most from Obama. I don't mind helping people who help themselves but I don't believe in handouts. Handups not handouts.
    Read up on socialism and you'll see this is exactly where Obama wants to take us and then check out how similiar socailism is to communism. Not much difference folks! Distribute the wealth, that's what they are both about. Don't let anyone get too much, if they do take it away and give it to some poor soul who deserves it more.
    BTW I think I just lost all respect for Colin Powell. I think he's the one getting senile! The only reason he's supporting Obama is because of his color. I am SO tired of race being a factor in this election. You can't tell me that if Clinton had won the primary he would have endorsed her even though her policies and Obama's are very similiar. Give me a break!

October 19, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  16. BRM

No one has won yet.... we can't get cocky and we can't get too convinced that we're almost there. Elections are on November 4th. If you don't vote nobody wins.

I'm voting early and I'm voting for Obama/Biden.

October 19, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  17. klaw

P.Lennon –
    We have already crossed that socialist threshhold – the Bail Out!
    Buying up banks stock, buying mortgages, etc. – government owned and government regulated. We need regulation. Look what de-regulation got us.

October 20, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  18. Doctor Ruth De Paris

Go! Go! Go! Obama//Biden We Are With You Every Step Of The Way And Our Feet Will Not Fail Us Now!!! Stay On Your Positive Message and Greatness Will Be Your Guide!!! Goodness Will Be Your Light!!! And You Will Make The White House The Right House!!!!!!!!

October 20, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  19. Jo@aol.come

Omama should go back to chicogo and take a sleeping pill and wake up in 2009, nobody likes him. Go back where you came from gooffy.

October 20, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  20. Pat

I do not trust John McCain or Sarah Palin! I wouldn't trust Sarah with a pit bull.

The United States is suppose to be a land of the free but during this presidential campaign this country is only a land of the free if you are white.

October 20, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  21. Janice

To: Daniel Cabrera
    Merrillville, Indiana

Go home and stay there! Senator Obama and Senator Biden are both doing a great job of clean campaigning. They are what is best for America to bring her up to where she belongs – the greatest Country on Earth!

You and those who think like you cannot recognize natural leaders.

There will be some decsions that will not please all of us, but as long as it benefits this wonderful Country in the long run all of our citizenry will benefit.

October 20, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  22. CitizenS

Daniel...I am so happy to see you educate yourself as should others. However, do you educate yourself on the Clinton Administration. How was your pocketbook then? Do you educate yourself on the the tireless, stressful relentless job of the Presidency and how would Mccain fair then? Do you educate yourself on the potential of a Palin presidency should Mccain be incapacited and the lack of knowledge, education, forthrightness, worthiness, let your husband do your job-ness, kitchen table budget-ness and truly unethical-ness that equals a Palin presidency. Please, Daniel, educate yourself as to whether a person who is a Harvard graduate, shows a steady hand, thoughtfulness to the situation, steadfastness in principles, 1 house, 1 car, with the ability to rise above the fray and LEAD as an Obama presidency shows. Educate yourself regarding a potential Biden presidency with his principles, knowledge and mature attitude would bring if the need arose. EDUCATE YOURSELF IN FAIRNESS TO YOURSELF. OBAMA/BIDEN 08 12

October 20, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  23. Stickit

vote for Obama/Biden. mcshame/pailin are just morons.

October 20, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  24. Jane

I find it interesting that you say "absolute power corrupts absolutely" Isn't that what the USA has suffered through the last 8 years ? We wouldn't be sliding down a steep incline as a nation if someone else besides Bush had been president. I could never understand why the Republican party members did not stand up to Bush and impeach him.
    Jane

October 20, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  25. Steve

It's a shame:

You are partially right about being creatures of habit but that is what makes us humans different from animals. It is our ability to use logic and common sense. But the republican party has lost all common sense to continue backing John McCain after all the negativity that is coming from his campaign. Then the choice of Palin as VP?? I won't even go there on that one.

I think the post I saw on the article regarding General Powell's endorsement of Senator Obama clearly demonstrates the mentality of the republicans "I do not think its a good idea. if you are a republican, you have to go for the republican candidate even if you do not like the candidate. ….A very bad idea going public and supporting somebody else. " That is pretty sad but says it all doesn't it. Blindly follow the party and forget common sense, forget reasoning, forget everything that makes us humans and blindly follow a campaign that will do anything to win.

Obama/Biden 08/12