October 19th, 2008

State polls show Obama with advantage in key battlegrounds

Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.
Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.

(CNN) - A string of new state polls suggests Barack Obama still holds an advantage in several key battleground states, and is within single digits in a state that has voted Republican in the last two presidential elections.

New CNN poll of polls in three swing states - Ohio, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - show the Illinois senator with a lead, while a new poll in West Virginia puts John McCain ahead.

In Ohio, the latest CNN poll of polls shows Obama with a 1 point lead over McCain, 47 to 46 percent while the Illinois senator has a 13 point lead in a Wisconsin poll of polls and a 8 point lead in a Minnesota poll of polls.

Both Minnesota and Wisconsin voted for John Kerry in 2004 while Ohio has gone to the Republicans in the last two elections.

Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-41 percent. It's a considerably smaller gap than the 13-point margin of victory President Bush garnered there in 2004.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said in a taped-message to supporters Sunday that the campaign will be pouring resources into West Virginia during the final two weeks of the presidential race in hopes of turning it blue.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. michael in MO

Of course, yet another Obama network "poll" suggesting "the anointed one" is floating to the presidency, where he will be adorned by golden fleeces and awe-struck, text-messaging, worshippers. Drunk with "Kewl" aid, you believe buzz words like "hope" and "change" are something unique to politics. Obama remains an empty suit, and an American Idol figure frighteningly similar to days of venerable Germany in the early twentieth century. A few generations removed, and how quickly we forget. And the best joke of it all – Obamabots continue to label Gov. Palin as inept and unqualified – as if Obama is any MORE qualified than she is!!??? Get real.
    Signed, another life-long Dem for McCain.

October 19, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  2. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! "1"

Gen. Colin Powell, thank you Sir, from a proud vet to one of the highly decorated war heroes, you made our day!

October 19, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. Tweet

I absolutely agree with you. We need to pull together now more than ever before...no matter how much we have volunteered, we need to step it up a notch. Republican lies and innuendos worked in their dirty campaign (truth came out AFTER elections), and we will not allow them to do it again! Get out and fight and volunteer and vote! AND you are also right. We need to support him, stick by him, and work with our representatives in Congress and our senators to change this country around for the better. He will need us ALL as Americans together to fight to regain the dignity, respect and pride this nation deserves! Look at the polls all you want...but put NO faith in them!

October 19, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  4. LAI

What is this ridiculous, over the top McCain focus by CNN lately???? I've never felt that the network was especially balanced, but rather tends to swing violently from extreme to extreme.

Obama receives the endorsement of a republican general, ex-sec. of state and your headline story is about McCain enjoying being an underdog??? SHEESH!!

October 19, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. ts

Can someone stop Rove and Palin from destroying Social Security ?

Hopefully, McCain,72, will retire now.

October 19, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  6. Person Who Can Read

"John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-46 percent."

Uh....

October 19, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  7. Jason Hussein, Nashville, Tn.

I really wish that McCain supporters would stop and think about something. Even if (big IF) he wins the Presidency, he faces an opposing congress. Which means, his health care plan…DOA, his tax proposals…DOA, and for that matter, ANY of his proposals…DOA.

I also watched what seemed to be the pathetic attempt by the GOP to be an "October surprise". It claims something I have seen over and over, that Barack Obama is not a naturally born citizen of the United States. This accusation has of course, been proven wrong. My firm belief is simple, how can a canidate that is a "terrorist", "non-citizen" be allowed to get this close to the presidency without warning from the FBI, CIA, and INS?

The answer is simple, all of these accusations are completely false. McCain supporters, I know it's hard, but stop lying to yourselfs and the rest of us. You are losing, stop being sore losers.

CNN Please Post this-thank you.

October 19, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  8. willow n md

Hi Oregonian for Obama/Biden
    First I must tell you that I visited your beautiful state years ago and it's simply beautiful... I am from the east coast and I was not used to the clean air! : )
    You are so right! I have read and heard some disturbed of some of the things... like "pro-America and anti-America" ...that's just what the terrorist community wants to hear....we are one people, under God!
    Yes, vote early everyone! and then, let's work to bring this country together!!!

October 19, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. lets talk about GORDON LIDDY and CHARLES KEATING

Get out and vote now please

October 19, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. LMC

I agree with voting early! Usually I wait until the last day to mail my absentee ballot. This year it's going out right away because I'm not taking any chances!
    Senator McCain has totally lost my respect with the negative tone of his campaign. I used to think he was an honorable man. Now he seems to buy in to the "win at any cost" and "the end justifies the means" ideology, which surprisingly enough are the ideologies of terrorism!

Obama/Biden 2008

October 19, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. mike

And RCP average left out the ten point advantage that Obama has today, you know, to make it look closer. This LV model is for the people who showed up in the last election, you know, the Bush People! But the RCP did put up that bogus Republican, Fixed News leaning ZOGBY poll. Gotta hand it to the MSM, they sure can be manipulating when they are pressured!

October 19, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  12. HoldenLitgo

"John McCain with a 6 point lead, 47-46 percent"? So not only can't we take the polls seriously but the reporting of the polls is suspect, too? Doggone it! We're relying on you CNN to keep us informed! Don't prove you can't even count! We might go away thinking you don't count at all.

October 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  13. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

fellow democrats VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE

General Colin Powell, thank you!!! from a proud vet to one highly decorated and true war heroes!

October 19, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  14. paula

Obama needs to phyically visit West Virginia!

October 19, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  15. Archie H.

My my ;look at who authorized these polls ! In the tank for Obama organizations and draw your own propaganda tinted conclusions ! These people are flim flaming the election!!

October 19, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  16. Bill

To let Obama win this election will be the end of the United States as we have known it. We will become a satelite of Europe and slaves to China. Working people will be paying the way for those who do not want to work and we will become a third world country.

Anybody with money will leave and most will be left with nothing.

October 19, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  17. Gloria

I second that!!!

Take nothing for granted.....

October 19, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  18. sjp

vote, the days of mccarthyism and fear will be over.

October 19, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  19. Obama Supporter

Voted for Obama today, and my Republican husband voted for Obama on Friday.

We are in Washington State.

October 19, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  20. Charlie in Maine

Great news, no time to let up though. They are throwing the kitchen sink at our man. Colin Powell's endorsement might move some un-decareds our way. Ronald Reagan used to say "cautously optimistic". I don't usually quote the "Gipper" but now that we have a great communicator of our own.....
    Obama/Biden 08-12

October 19, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  21. Torsten

I am Swedish from Stockholm, have worked in the States for 5 years, travelled through 45 States (but not to Alaska..because I have seen Russia from the inside!) and we are so many over in Europe who pray and cross our fingers for the Obama/Biden ticket, which will give the whole of the US a chance to "polish your reputation" a bit, because it has not been the best during the Bush era. I would say from hostility to friendship and cooperation across all borders!!! A real gentleman with guts! That´s the way I look at Obama and unfortunately, I have tried to contribute to the campaign, but it has not been possible because I am not a US citizen. MOVE, VOTE, for a man with obvious dignity and respect for others and with a strong humanistic message!

October 19, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  22. John in VA

Did I read right that David Plouffe wants to counter-act McShame's shameless act of calling people by calling people? That is a terrible idea. The Obama campaign could be spending their money better than becoming telemarketers.

"That One" 08

October 19, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  23. Tom

And to add to "Oregonian for Obama/Biden" – we need to not only vote in Obama and Biden, but do as much as we can to vote in any democrats running to give "The People" a real chance at making progress.

October 19, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  24. Suzy

I really feel when Obama speaks he want to unite this country. I feel when McCain speak he wants to divide this country into categories of rich versus poor, black versus white and now is not the time. We need to stand together at one and he is too busy researching what Obama has done in the past during a time of recession. He hasn't came up with an original idea of his own yet, but he can led the country. The bottom line is if you don't want to vote for Obama than don't, but don't continue to search for reasons. Obama want to make a change it is up to you whether you want it or not. If McCain gets in office and our economy is worse, please take ownership of your vote for McCain. I will take ownership of my vote for Obama/Biden. I just hope McCain run an honest election on November 4th.

October 19, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  25. FreeNLovIt

God Bless America. We are going to need the luck of the Clintons and the happy-go-calm luck of Obama..

October 19, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |