October 19th, 2008

State polls show Obama with advantage in key battlegrounds

Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.
Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.

(CNN) - A string of new state polls suggests Barack Obama still holds an advantage in several key battleground states, and is within single digits in a state that has voted Republican in the last two presidential elections.

New CNN poll of polls in three swing states - Ohio, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - show the Illinois senator with a lead, while a new poll in West Virginia puts John McCain ahead.

In Ohio, the latest CNN poll of polls shows Obama with a 1 point lead over McCain, 47 to 46 percent while the Illinois senator has a 13 point lead in a Wisconsin poll of polls and a 8 point lead in a Minnesota poll of polls.

Both Minnesota and Wisconsin voted for John Kerry in 2004 while Ohio has gone to the Republicans in the last two elections.

Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-41 percent. It's a considerably smaller gap than the 13-point margin of victory President Bush garnered there in 2004.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said in a taped-message to supporters Sunday that the campaign will be pouring resources into West Virginia during the final two weeks of the presidential race in hopes of turning it blue.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. A lifetime Republican who switched to Obama

These polls show it still still a dead heat once you take the margin in error into account. I agree with the previous comment....VOTE VOTE VOTE and don't let complacency set it and let this election be decided. Its still close and this is the most important election of our time.

Do a 'search" for fact checking so you can seperate the rhetoric and dirty tricks and blantlant lies not effect your vote.

VOTE VOTE VOTE

GO OBAMA-keep the course and don't let any of RNC's dirty tricks alter your course!

October 19, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. LL in Michigam

To Oregonian for Obama/Biden.....well said. I could not agree more!

October 19, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  3. Scott - Florida

We Obama Supporters in Florida will make sure we put the nail in the coffin of the corpse which is The Republican Party of Reagan, Bush and McCain.

After hearing Colin Powell's comments on Meet The Press today, it is obvious that the people who vote for McCain are the ignorant anti-American crowd who watch Fox News and listen to the right-wing "rascist smear nuts" on conservative talk radio!

Thank You General Powell for pointing out the "Narrowness" of The G.O.P.

October 19, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  4. mary ca

The best thing will be texas turn blue after watching W....

October 19, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  5. Tom

To Oregonian for Obama/Biden: My thoughts exactly:))))

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT:)

October 19, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  6. Bush, TX

I think we should not be contented with our current lead in national polls. Let's work even harder to give America back to Americans. Vote Obama/Biden on Nov. 4.

October 19, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  7. sam

47 to 46 in West Virginia is a 1 point lead, not a 6 point lead

October 19, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  8. Jeremy

I would want to see John Mcain's policy that are different from George Bush. We need to adopt different approach into our futures so does Mcain say. However, his policies are basic photocopies of the current ones. Instead of attack at Obama.....which is actually promoting him, why should Mcain not concentrate to propagate his policies?

Sen Mcain, we need to know whatever we are voting for on your ticket. We already know Obama........why not yours?

Jeremy
    Dallas.

October 19, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  9. WORD UP!

"May we live in interesting times." This is a popular Chinese proverb. WOW! I can't believe I might witness the first black president in my lifetime. This is truly a MIRACLE from GOD for our world is about to change forever.

October 19, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  10. Quincy

DONT get cocky... we still have 2 1/2 weeks until the election and this isnt gonna come easy... this race will be won from the bottom to the top... we can finally breathe a sigh of relief on Nov 5th when President-elect Obama and Vice President-elect Biden are choosen to lead this country in a diferent direction... BUT until then we have to still remain humble and grouded....

October 19, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  11. aware

I voted!

Rick Warren says, "Whether leading in business, education, politics, or family, character always trumps charisma. What we desparately need in our leaders today is strong character."

Obama has many characters in his cynical list of relationships, and he is a smooth obfuscator with charisma. :(

But, this former democrat and Hillary supporter voted for McCain/Palin! They have strong character! :)

October 19, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  12. Geraldine Carlson

The VP slot is extremely important. Joe Biden could step right in if something should happen to President Barack Obama. If something should happen to President John McCain I would shudder to think of our country in the hands of Sarah Pallin. She seems like a very lovely lady, but certainly not ready to be commander in chief. My vote will be for Obama/Biden. Both men are ready from day one to be commander in chief.

October 19, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  13. What About the Undecided

I am in no way surprised Colin Powell endorsed Obama. I am surprised at his attack on McCain.

As for me...I think I will stick with the candidate that will not tax and spend this country into more trillions of dollars of national debt. OK the national debt grew under Bush...we had a war people. You cannot fight a war and not grow the national debt unless you tax people to death at the outset...remember 9/11 and what it did to the stock market. That's your answer.

You have to blame ole Billy Boy Clinton himself and the dems for a very large part of the housing problem. EVERYONE cannot and should NOT own a house...they thought so and made sure legislation was in place to force it down our throats...we are paying now for it.

Pelosi and Reed will spend this country into such a recession we will not be able to get out of it for an entire generation. My grandkids deserve better.

October 19, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  14. Abhi K

Growing reports in the L.A. area support the notion that the Republicans will use proxies to further suppress voters; Obama supporters need to outwit these witless criminals-witless because like an open book, they are using the same dirty tactics they used 8 years ago.

October 19, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  15. minka from "the show me" state

Each day in this "battleground State" I see more and more Obama signs. The "early "polling places are filled with folks casting their votes. All of us know it is time for a change and it can only happen via the ballot box.

God Bless our Troops! God Bless America!

Obama/Biden "08

October 19, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  16. Grace Needed

Colin Powell gave a sincere and sensitive endorsement for Senator Obama. He was authentic in his praise for Sen. Obama and his criticism of his long time friend Sen. McCain. What I MOST appreciated besides the overall endorsement, was his sensible disagreement over the negative campaign tactics McCain has employed in his own Republican Party. The idea that a candidate would use the same person and political strategies that he was outraged by in 2000 still stuns my sense of decency. What happened to his honor and integrity that he would fall so fast and far from the very principles that made him memorable? The state polls will be better for Sen. Obama tomorrow giving him another 2-3% advantage over Sen. McCain. The McCain/Palin ticket has no where to go but in that downward spiral they chose when campaigning so nastily and destructively.

October 19, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  17. MT for Obama

I would think that Obama's lead will increase even further on spread of McCain's most recent endorsement of Sarah Palin, who he says runs in opposition to the Liberal Feminist Agenda. Does the LFA include all women who disagree with McCain/Palin views? The lead is strong but the end is not here yet – VOTE!!

October 19, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  18. Ripley

So true, Oregonian for Obama/Biden. My ballot is in the mail and my vote has been cast. I pray that Obama will be the victor and lead us out of this mess we have been in for the last 8 years.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008!!!!

October 19, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  19. McCain is a republican, and republicans ruined America

Anyone who's undecided, look at who ran the best campaign and was the least experienced in campaigning. Vote for the smart guy.

October 19, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  20. kyra

Vote Obama/Biden 08!!!!!

October 19, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  21. Darryl Miller

Rejoice, Rejoice...

America is the Greatest Country in the world we should be glad sing.

It's time to course a nre direction with a new leader.. Did you hear the latest.... Senator McCain want to change his vote for Senator Obama for President except Gov. Palin said Noway..

Obama / Binden 08

October 19, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  22. TX Vet

I just watched a very interesting Frontline piece on the two candidates.

I was struck by how different John McCain is from the way he is currently running. He is much more of a centrist and moderate, which seems so distant from the divisive, negative campaign that he has allowed to take place.

Something I saw in Barack Obama is that he is a very careful planner. It makes sense - how else could you get so far in such a short amount of time. Raw talent (which he clearly has) would not be enough.

I recommend it to any undecideds out there. I think we would see a much different, and better John McCain were he to be elected.

For my part, I like the discipline, planning, and execution by Obama and his team. Plus, Obama is one of the most talented leaders I've seen in years and years. Lastly, I don't think people realize just how tough he is. He beat the Clintons, and that's saying something.

On balance, my vote is for Obama an setting a new tone to the leadership in our country.

October 19, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  23. For Obama in the heartland

I voted early and encourage others to do so.

October 19, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  24. roslin

Obama is leading but that doesn't mean that he is going to win....There is too much negative campaign going on.....We are still getting mailings saying that Obama is a Muslim and he doesn't like this country...Even there were GOP mailings relating him to Osama Bin Laden.....There are many voters who are so ignorant and can be blackmailed through this false propaganda.

October 19, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  25. Steve

Well said Oregonian. Here in Georgia a careful look at early voting shows Obama up about 10% in ACTUAL votes in the box. I suspect whoever wins our state will do so by less than 3%. If its Braack, McCain will be done.

Obama/Biden 08