October 20th, 2008

Biden predicts early crisis will test Obama

Biden predicts Obama will have to make some unpopular decisions in his first six months in office.

SEATTLE (CNN) - Joe Biden told Democratic fundraisers Sunday night that there is no doubt in his mind a crisis will occur during Barack Obama's first six months in office that will test his mettle and force him to make unpopular decisions.

"Mark my words. It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy," said Biden to a roomful of donors. "The world is looking. We're about to elect a brilliant 47-year-old senator president of the United States of America."

"Remember I said it standing here, if you don't remember anything else I said," Biden continued. "Watch, we're going to have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy.

"I promise you it will occur. As a student of history and having served with seven presidents, I guarantee you it's going happen. I can give you at least four or five scenarios from where it might originate."

The Delaware senator spoke at two Seattle fundraises Sunday night, expected to bring in $1 million for the campaign. Biden told the supporters that when Obama will need them to stand with the administration on the difficult calls - not financially, but by using their influence within their communities to convince others that the right decisions are being made.

"I promise you, you all are going to be sitting here a year from now going, 'Oh my God, why are they there in the polls, why is the polling so down, why is this thing so tough?' We're going have to make some incredibly tough decisions in the first two years," said Biden. "I'm asking you now, be prepared to stick with us. Remember the faith you had at this point because you're going to have to reinforce us."

Telling the crowd to "gird their loins" for a bumpy beginning to the next presidential term, Biden said it wouldn't be initially apparent that the correct decisions are being made because "they're not likely to be as popular as they are sound. Because if they're popular, they're probably not sound."

Fundraisers are generally closed to the media's cameras, though print journalists are usually allowed in. Biden appeared to forget Sunday night's fundraiser wasn't closed to reporters, saying, "I probably shouldn't have said all this because it dawned on me that the press is here." Moments later, he ended his remarks.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. KJL

Easy prediction. It happens with every new president.

October 20, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  2. cheney=palin

-–i'm pro american and i will Not vote for a liar and that clueless lady.

October 20, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  3. cool onlooker

I respect this Joe Biden a lot because he is filled with content. Unlike some other hollow, enpty-minded VP

October 20, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  4. Sweetie

I voted early this year! I even picked up my neighbor and took her with us to place an early vote for

McCain and Palin!

We hope they win!

If the Liberal Nut Job wearing Training Pants wins we are all in a world of HURT!

It sounds like Biden even agrees; electing "That One" will be a mistake we will all regret!

Vote for an American Hero who has the experience and the track record for reform we need right now!

October 20, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  5. Joe the Plumber

Sorry I couldn't make it to those Ohio rallies Johnny Boy, but you forgot to unfasten the lid on the cigar box. Early crisis? Obama will have to clean up the Republican mess for 8 years, just like Clinton had to clean up after doddering Reagan and CIA man Pappy Bush.

October 20, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  6. Surrealist

Every day as President is a test.
    But what does he mean?
    I

October 20, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  7. PUMBU

I'M IN FLORIDA AND EARLY VOTING STARTS TODAY, I AM ON MY WAY TO VOTE FOR BARACK. FLORIDA, FLOBAMA, FLOBAMA, FLOBAMA, FLOBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 20, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  8. bill

biden we have enough scare tactics.from mccain palen WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING .COMEN BIDEN OBAMA ISNT ELECTED YET.obama is on the right track .but after eight years of this lousy president. AND DO NOTHING CONGRESS GIVE HIM TIME TO GET BUSHES MESS STRAIGHTENED OUT.before you start with the scare tactics im scratching my head on that one biden

October 20, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  9. Uncle Sam

Many young people are excited over the prospect of our becoming an Obama nation.

Why don't I find the sound of that comforting?
    :-o

October 20, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  10. Beverlee (WI)

OK...not understanding why Biden is putting fear into the campaign right now, not a smart move. I know Obama can handle things but don't like where this is going!

October 20, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  11. KAREN -.Bring on the Elections- It's time for a change

Joe is probably right seeing the economy in the state it is in but I'm sure Obama will be able to handle it. Also, I love the fact that Powell brought party lines and endorse Obama. This is a clear indication the kinda of campaign Obama is running and the fact that Obama wants to reach all party lines.

October 20, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  12. Montana is Obama Country

Say it So Joe...

Stay away from fear tactics... Let McCain be the bad guy of Fear..!

Stick to the economy.. and play fortune teller..

Obama has the ability to lead this country onALL the merits necessary to be Presidnet but stay away from the shakey ground stuff.!

***

Obama/Bidne.. 2008, 2012

October 20, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  13. A Senior Southern Lady

If Biden is right and a crisis does come six months after the election, I am glad that Obama will deal with this crisis, not a Republican administration. Obama brings intelligence, education, knowledge and clear thinking and the willingness to talk to those who oppose us unlike Republicans whose mind-set seems to be that anyone who does not agree with the US is wrong and let's just send in troops and straighten them out!! That is what has taken us into two wars, Iraq and Afghanistan. In my 72 years on this earth, I have never been more sure of anything -– Obama is the right man at the right time.

October 20, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  14. bishop

If Powell says Obama is competent to effectively shoulder The Presidency, then he is ready and can handle it....Period...No Questions

October 20, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  15. Sharon from Dumfries Virginia

Biden, you are sticking your foot in your mouth again. Your statement about the VP role as not a nice one either. I have faith in the Obama/Biden administration.

October 20, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  16. Poetic

Lol I love how people are already talking as if Obama won the election and the decisions he is going to make as opposed to might have to make if he were president.. btw I'm for Obama.

October 20, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  17. jon

um. so elect John McCain.

The world isn't the same thing as the adoring US press. In fact, some countries will try to screw us.

this is seriously depressing.

ps- can't wait for liberals to say "Joe! Shhhhhh!!!". Like its in our national interest not to consider this.

October 20, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  18. Travis in NC

What have they got planned? He obviously didn't mean to let that slip... I guess he was trying to scare people into giving him money.

October 20, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  19. mitch

i am prepared to hear the truth as it happens. no need to hide it joe. we expect barack to tell us what we need to hear. not what we WANT to hear. the truth is always best for all. we are tired of politicians who lie to us and with-hold information from us. i could listen to the truth all day ,everyday. that would make me content.

October 20, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  20. No Way, No How, No McPalin

Hey CNN, Where is this story "Freddie Mac secretly paid Republican firm to kill regulation"???

October 20, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  21. Bruce

Powell said something similar yesterday as well...
    WOnder what they all know that we do not.
    But if there is anyone I trust to handle anything that might come up with a firm and steady hand...it would be Obama, not shoot from the hip McCain and no nothing Palin.
    I would not be surprised if we had some sort of terror acctck here before the election . If we do..an investigation needs to take place to see if it is tied to the repubs.

October 20, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  22. Rave

Barack Obama / Joe Biden as President / Vice President will be loved not only by every American (Republican, Independent, Democrat) but they will gain the respect of the entire world and restore America's image as the strongest and most wise nation on this planet.
    The best part is, Barack Obama takes advice on things that he doesn't know and that is how he ran the most successfull campaign. With Joe Biden as his chief advisor, Americans will be proud to have these 2 men in office.
    Next election (2012) will be a sweep victory for Obama.
    OBAMA / BIDEN (2008 – 16)

October 20, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  23. Pat Riot

Oh no these politicians are going to doom us. Change is not a good thing when that change means you shred the constitution and lose your freedom.

October 20, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  24. fay roberts

thats obvious with a crisis already in the markets anyone with common sense can predict that. it might be a hurriccan or fires but anyway with obama as the president it will be alright. so please CNN DONT MAKE A MOUNTAN OUT OF A MOLE. THIS IS NOT NEWS.

October 20, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  25. Bruce Gilbert

I want to know something about the OBAMA FLAG we see in his campaign speeches and all over our roadways. I will NEVER SING the OBAMA national anthem or SALUTE his flag.

October 20, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |