October 20th, 2008

Biden predicts early crisis will test Obama

Biden predicts Obama will have to make some unpopular decisions in his first six months in office.

SEATTLE (CNN) - Joe Biden told Democratic fundraisers Sunday night that there is no doubt in his mind a crisis will occur during Barack Obama's first six months in office that will test his mettle and force him to make unpopular decisions.

"Mark my words. It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy," said Biden to a roomful of donors. "The world is looking. We're about to elect a brilliant 47-year-old senator president of the United States of America."

"Remember I said it standing here, if you don't remember anything else I said," Biden continued. "Watch, we're going to have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy.

"I promise you it will occur. As a student of history and having served with seven presidents, I guarantee you it's going happen. I can give you at least four or five scenarios from where it might originate."

The Delaware senator spoke at two Seattle fundraises Sunday night, expected to bring in $1 million for the campaign. Biden told the supporters that when Obama will need them to stand with the administration on the difficult calls - not financially, but by using their influence within their communities to convince others that the right decisions are being made.

"I promise you, you all are going to be sitting here a year from now going, 'Oh my God, why are they there in the polls, why is the polling so down, why is this thing so tough?' We're going have to make some incredibly tough decisions in the first two years," said Biden. "I'm asking you now, be prepared to stick with us. Remember the faith you had at this point because you're going to have to reinforce us."

Telling the crowd to "gird their loins" for a bumpy beginning to the next presidential term, Biden said it wouldn't be initially apparent that the correct decisions are being made because "they're not likely to be as popular as they are sound. Because if they're popular, they're probably not sound."

Fundraisers are generally closed to the media's cameras, though print journalists are usually allowed in. Biden appeared to forget Sunday night's fundraiser wasn't closed to reporters, saying, "I probably shouldn't have said all this because it dawned on me that the press is here." Moments later, he ended his remarks.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. stephen

so is biden preparing us that the socialistic experiment won't be successful? that's because he knows socialism is the intermediary step between capitalism and communism and we won't have complete success until we arrive at communism – government control of everything.

October 20, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  2. LIP

early crisis...Is this a prelude to Biden stepping down to make room for Hillary who has been standing stage left all this time?

October 20, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  3. California Voter

Experience and judgment count.

October 20, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  4. Ron

Hey Joe ... I like you man, but stop shooting your mouth off. You should not be making John McCain's argument for him. People have forgotten about wars for the time being, please do not remind them.

October 20, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  5. Moe, NY

Thanks for the warning Joe, but I already figured that one out on my own. I trust Obama to make the right decision, where I do not trust shoot first, ask questions later McCain to make the right decision.

October 20, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  6. R in Maine

Obama is ready to be president. Secretary Powell is right. It will take more than abusive language and robocalls to actually govern.

McCain and Palin never will be ready.

October 20, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  7. ltd1974- Ohio for Obama

I hope its not the McShame and NoExperience Sarah making those decision. Please listen to Colin Powell.

Obama/Biden '08

October 20, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  8. The Duke

I think Mr.Biden is on point and I agree with him wholeheartedly .There is a mess that has to be cleaned up and it must be done. I am ready to gird my loins. Much appreciated and it is true. Thank you Mr. Biden for being truthful.

October 20, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  9. William James

Did someone administer "A Stupid Test" and this jerk did well, so he is now VP. Dummy keep your mouth shut.!!! You haven't won as yet. I am with OBAMA all the way. But: now I am beginning to think.

October 20, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  10. AnnMM

Hello Joe, this is the kind of speech you give after you're elected, not before. Oh Lord.

October 20, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  11. margie(alabama)

joe biden is retarded and a motor mouth

October 20, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  12. jeff

Biden is starting now to say please note we will be down in the polls because we will not live up to what we promised,

October 20, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  13. Chut Pata

Scenario 1: Wall street will blow the bubble of artificially inflated DOW, and blame Obama for sinking the economy thru taxes.

Scenario 2: Corporate America will ship more jobs overseas blaming Obama's tax policies for the offshoring.

Scenario 3: Bush's Frankestein Mr. Bin Laden will come out of hiding with the help of CIA, and do something and Obama will be blamed his pulling forces out of Iraq strengthened Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan?

Scenario 4: Crook clerics bungling funds obtained thru Bush's "Faith Based Initiative", would link eco based disasters (e.g. Katrina and Ike) with "Wrath of God" caused by American's electing "godless" Obama.

Scenario 5: Oil companies, making windfall profits during Bush era, will create oil crisis blaming Obama for not drilling the beaches.

October 20, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  14. KJS/Alabama

No doubt that President Obama will have major issues to deal with...some from within..but he has been very thoughtful in surrounding himself with people that have the intelligence/know-how to aid him in making correct decisions...Obama/Biden will not be able to fix many years of MESS in a few months. My prayer is that after the hard fought election has been won we can come together not as a red state or a blue state but as the United States or America and get back to being the country our fore fathers struggled for us to be. I am here for the long haul...even if (heaven forbids) McCain wins.....I pray we unit as the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!..

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

October 20, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  15. White Christian Mother for Obama

Well its the truth and I am all for it.

Just imagine what a Catastrophe it would be if a crisis hit McCain and Palin

OH MY WORD... what a MISTAKE that would be!!

I am voting today... Obama/Biden!!

October 20, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  16. Desmond from New York

You sometimes have to wonder where Sen. Biden's loyalties lie. Then you realize he's the king of gaffes and you move on. As for a crisis in the first 6 months... who knows? There always seems to be some crisis or the other popping up every few months. It's usually only as big as the media makes it. Blame it on slow news days. I'm certain Sen. Obama will have a good group of people advising him on the crisis and I trust his judgement to do what's best for this country.

October 20, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  17. Unbelievable!

Ummm... Joe. Please stop sticking your foot in your mouth, Sir!

Jeeez,

Obama 08

October 20, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  18. JL

This guy is sooooooooooooo kewl; i love Biden, he is "on-it".

October 20, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  19. sarah

I don't doubt the process will be painful. Tough decisions have to be made during next four years and that is to be expected. Joe, it's OK to speak the truth even it is painful to ears.

October 20, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  20. Ian Minneapolis, MN

Straight talking! I've got a feeling something brutal is going to happen. And if these men are what they claim to be than, yes I will be supporting them 2 years from now. But it's like Joe said, it's going to be a test....If they botch it, you won't see me with a "yes we can" sign...I'll be holding a Ron Paul 12' sign!

October 20, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  21. MD, TX

Pretty scary considering that JFK was tested by Soviet nuclear weapons in Cuba. I don't see Obama with anything near the resolve that JFK had.

October 20, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  22. Joe 6_pack Not

Well, it’s obvious that the next president would face a major obstacles and serious financial meltdown across the globe. However, the theme of this year’s election is that the whole nation, and world are looking for change. As Gen. Colin Powel put it, “we need to have a leader that’s transformable and who is wheeling to listen to the opposite side” in which such leadership could produce feasible solution to most problems that surrounding us. Nevertheless, the task is not going to be easy due to the deep-rooted problems with respect to economical, social, and among other things that the new administration would face in the near future.

As a result, the choice is clear that we need a leader who could have the judgment, knowledge, and none “erratic” behavior that could lead us out of the ditch. In addition, we need a leader who is not “divisive” and advocates hate among these intelligent people of US who knows better than of some of these leaders who wants to go one step ahead and 5 steps backward. I say, we refuse to choose the dark age era, rather let us choose the future and I am confident with God help, we will overcome.

Obama / Biden 08

October 20, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  23. check and checkmate

So what are you saying Joe, putting Obama in the drivers seat is a bad choice. Its to late for you pal don't worry, He is "the ONE" he is the politically correct chosen one. He will do no wrong especially after we all get the bar codes tattoo on our left arms. After all how will you be able to tell the good people for Obama and the bad people not for Obama. By the way Joe I would not let Obama stand in back of you he has a bad habit of putting people under the bus just check his recent history, HA,HA,HA........

October 20, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  24. Natasha/Ohio Democrat

It is true...... It coming from our own homeland to be exact. Guess what? We are ready!!!!!

October 20, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  25. CONCERNED INDEPENDENT

A "generated" crisis does not surprise me in the least, as I have been of the opinion a lot of what has happened in last few years was "generated"..by who, and for what purpose remains to be seen..I am sure when Obama gets elected, a LOT of things will emerge to make the public ask lots of questions, and demand answers..Texan, for Obama, voted early this morning, straight ticket, and sure makes me feel GOOD.
    \white senior voted Obama