October 20th, 2008

Obama: Even Palin’s criticizing the McCain campaign

Obama and Palin both agree on moving away from 'conventional campaigning'.
Obama and Palin both agree on moving away from 'conventional campaigning'.

TAMPA BAY, Florida (CNN) – Barack Obama told voters here the tenor of the campaign is only going to get worse but that apparently he had found an ally in the fight against Republican attacks: GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin..

“We’ve seen it before. And we’re seeing it again. Ugly phone calls. Misleading mail and TV ads. Careless, outrageous comments. All aimed at keeping us from working together, all aimed at stopping change,” he told a crowd of thousands at Steinbrenner Field. “It’s getting so bad that even Senator McCain’s running mate denounced his tactics last night. You know, you really have to work hard to violate Governor Palin’s standards on negative campaigning, you’ve got to work hard. ...

“What we know is that change never comes without a fight. Power concedes nothing without a fight. In the final days of campaigns, the say-anything, do-anything politics too often takes over,” Obama said.

Watch: Obama mocks Palin for speaking against her campaign's robo calls

Palin told reporters Sunday that if she were in charge of the campaign there would be more time spent one-on-one with voters and less time on “the old conventional ways of campaigning that includes those robo-calls.”

The Obama campaign descended on Florida Monday, the first day Floridians could vote early. The Democratic nominee and Hillary Clinton were scheduled to campaign together in Orlando. Clinton held a solo event earlier in Ft. Lauderdale. Michelle Obama and New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson will headline separate events across the state on Tuesday.

Polls have shown the state all but tied and the Obama campaign aides think if “sporadic voters” can be mobilized to cast a ballot early, that may be the edge they need to win.

“I want everybody after this rally, if you have not already voted I want you to go vote. Don’t wait until November 4th you don’t know what might happen on Nov 4th. Your car might break down, you might have an emergency, you might the alarm might not go off you don’t get to work on time. So take the advantage of early vote,” Obama implored the crowd.

According to Steve Schale, the Obama campaign’s Florida state director, estimates are that over 40 percent of the state’s residents will either vote early or vote absentee. Schale also said the campaign is estimating that as many as 9 million Floridians will vote in this election.

Schale said he had a “fairly decent level of confidence” in the ability of election officials to handle the expected Election Day voting crush. But he did concede some concern over how recent state budget cuts could impact local election boards, saying this first day of early voting is a “big test.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Gene

You know.. it doesn't take a lot to see what kind of people vote for which candidate.

You step outside of an Obama rally, and you see people in a good mood, wanting to be inspired.

You step outside of a Palin rally, you see people screaming racist remarks, calling Obama every name in the book, people carrying stuffed monkeys with Obama apparel, bitter, angry, mean spirited.

I'm sorry.. I'd rather be in the crowd of hopeful than in the crowd of hateful.

October 20, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  2. Tim in NC

Speaking of Palin, dang she is good looking. She is better looking than Tina Fey. That is why you get some of the snarky comments and vigorous mocking of her on SNL. I know Tina Fey doesn't agree with her politics either, but you can definitely also detect some of that female jealousy too.

October 20, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  3. jj

Go Rush!!! Thank God, at least you'll say it like it is.

October 20, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  4. Anonymous

way to go keep up the good work!

October 20, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  5. George

NO – the difference between Governor Palin and Joe Biden is that Sarah Palin does not have to check her opinions at the door, much like Joe Biden has to.

In fact, Obama screens his rallys, comments on his website, his youtube site etc...

Barack HATES criticism & HATES the truth.

Why do you think he snubbed Hillary & left her off the ticket.

Now that the polls are tightening again–he's probably crying in his mickey mouse pajamas LOL.

McPALIN 2008 !

October 20, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  6. Molly

I went and voted early and am glad that I did. The republican party is a nasty self rightous party. I had decided to not vote for president when Hilary didn't win but Mccain has been so nasty in his campain that I went and voted early. I only hope that we can keep him from winning.

October 20, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  7. Greg in AR

Sounds like everyone is tooting their own horn so loudly that they don't realize that no one is playing the same song.

Desparate times call for desparate measures.

Obama 08/12

October 20, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  8. Ken in Dallas

It's funny how Republicans have tried to make "liberal" into an epithet.

The whole liberal agenda is based on the values of true Christian generosity. We got the idea from this guy that used to say, "Whatsoever you do unto the least among these, my people, you do unto me."

I probably shouldn't talk about him too much, though. Conservatives think he was a freak, and they fear him. Maybe they hate liberals simply for being what they themselves pretend to be.

October 20, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  9. Latina for Obama (nj)

I VOTED FOR THAT ONE!

October 20, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  10. Praetorian

Looks like Gov. Palin is chewing on her own bosses foot!!
    Perhaps she is hoping to sustain the right wing popularity for a future run for the White House.

Clearly–she, McCain, the GOP do not understand what reform really means to the rest of us.

October 20, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  11. cmc

seems like she is a "take charge" person. Makes one wonder who will run the White House, as if she knows better than her handlers, love it, keep it up Sarah you are showing who you really are. Wake up people this is one dangerous person.

October 20, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  12. dan

I'm commenting on the Rush statement... I'm glad to see that Colin is on board with other major conservatives like Christopher Buckley who also supports Obama.... it's not about race... if even Christopher Buckley is supporting Obama, it must be that Mccain is erratic and showing poor judgement. Plain and simple. We need steady leadership...

October 20, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  13. Anita from Arizona

It's shoking how McCain is using the same tactic that he totally critized Bush for using against him and his adopted daughter in the 2004 primary election. He said it was disgusting and dirty and low. WOW he is like Bush after all.

If I were a Republican, I would be distancing myself from the Right Wing nuts (Limbaugh and others)

October 20, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  14. Virginia Republican for Obama

Too bad McCain has allowed his campaign to degenerate to this lowly state. He was once a man of honor.

The people's voice will be heard on 11/4.

Get out and vote...take nothing for granted.

October 20, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  15. ladyc803

I am so sick of people putting race as a reason for blacks voting for Obama. I am a African American women and yes I'm voting for Sen Obama, not because of his color, because he's neither black or white. His parents reprsent both race. What does this say about american. I have voted for a "white" president ALL MY LIFE and not because of his color, but because of what he represented. So to all the racist people and their comment think about that!

OBAMA/BIDEN

October 20, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  16. kevin

“What we know is that change never comes without a fight. Power concedes nothing without a fight. "

If this forum had profiles where you could set a signature for your posts, this would be my signature. Love the quote, love my candidate!
    I know he'll use those 50 bucks I sent him today wisely.

October 20, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  17. Ken in Dallas

What we know about "SamJoe the PlumberHandyman" is that he, like typical Republicans, has been sold a bill of goods hard enough that he'll vote against his own self-interest in the name of doctrinal orthodoxy. Can Joe the not-plumber even spell "doctrinal orthodoxy?"

October 20, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  18. Stephan Legere

Keep up the good work Sarah, your really helping the Democrats with their victory, not that we need you..
    Focus you bimbo, focus

October 20, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  19. jm for sc

Obama is just awesome. He will make one of the greatest president in American history.

Obama/Biden 08

October 20, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  20. Cynthia; Bham

You unlease Palin to the press and you will learn more and more about her and the way she thinks. I'm sure that is a part of the reason why the McCain camp is keeping her away from the press.

October 20, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  21. Crazy the race is still close

Willy Brown I'm going to need you to learn how to spell!

October 20, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  22. Robert

President Lincoln used a quote from the Holy Bible " A House Divided Cannot Stand". America will never be defeated from without. But with the dividers such as Russ Limbaugh, Lou Dobbs, Hannity etc. that constantly do all they can to spew hate, it heads us down the road of self destruction.

Why are all bigots, people that have poor self images.

Robert

October 20, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  23. FL Rep for Obama

So...CNN won't post my message, huh? They say the race is tightening...but GALLUP says Obama is still head by 11% points!! Go figure...CNN just wants you to keep watching for ratings, my friends. This former Republican will vote early this week for OBAMA. The only leader for change.

October 20, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  24. Charlie Bradley

Good Work Sen. Obama.... Expose the dissention in the ranks of your competitors and send them packing !!! :) I like the way you tactfully and successfully get your point of their disorganization and tactics across :)

October 20, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  25. Ian Minneapolis, MN

Well, all I know is McCain can't win even if he gets all the tossups......sooooo the question is; How are the republicans going to steal this election again?

October 20, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |