October 20th, 2008

Obama: Even Palin’s criticizing the McCain campaign

Obama and Palin both agree on moving away from 'conventional campaigning'.
Obama and Palin both agree on moving away from 'conventional campaigning'.

TAMPA BAY, Florida (CNN) – Barack Obama told voters here the tenor of the campaign is only going to get worse but that apparently he had found an ally in the fight against Republican attacks: GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin..

“We’ve seen it before. And we’re seeing it again. Ugly phone calls. Misleading mail and TV ads. Careless, outrageous comments. All aimed at keeping us from working together, all aimed at stopping change,” he told a crowd of thousands at Steinbrenner Field. “It’s getting so bad that even Senator McCain’s running mate denounced his tactics last night. You know, you really have to work hard to violate Governor Palin’s standards on negative campaigning, you’ve got to work hard. ...

“What we know is that change never comes without a fight. Power concedes nothing without a fight. In the final days of campaigns, the say-anything, do-anything politics too often takes over,” Obama said.

Watch: Obama mocks Palin for speaking against her campaign's robo calls

Palin told reporters Sunday that if she were in charge of the campaign there would be more time spent one-on-one with voters and less time on “the old conventional ways of campaigning that includes those robo-calls.”

The Obama campaign descended on Florida Monday, the first day Floridians could vote early. The Democratic nominee and Hillary Clinton were scheduled to campaign together in Orlando. Clinton held a solo event earlier in Ft. Lauderdale. Michelle Obama and New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson will headline separate events across the state on Tuesday.

Polls have shown the state all but tied and the Obama campaign aides think if “sporadic voters” can be mobilized to cast a ballot early, that may be the edge they need to win.

“I want everybody after this rally, if you have not already voted I want you to go vote. Don’t wait until November 4th you don’t know what might happen on Nov 4th. Your car might break down, you might have an emergency, you might the alarm might not go off you don’t get to work on time. So take the advantage of early vote,” Obama implored the crowd.

According to Steve Schale, the Obama campaign’s Florida state director, estimates are that over 40 percent of the state’s residents will either vote early or vote absentee. Schale also said the campaign is estimating that as many as 9 million Floridians will vote in this election.

Schale said he had a “fairly decent level of confidence” in the ability of election officials to handle the expected Election Day voting crush. But he did concede some concern over how recent state budget cuts could impact local election boards, saying this first day of early voting is a “big test.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Hoku

I think President Bush and the former President Bush will vote for Obama/Biden ticket

October 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. J J

There will be change with Obama. It will be change to a left wing radical joint administration. It will be the Reid, Pelosi, Obama Co-Presidency.

October 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  3. That Other Jerry

Credit the Obama campaign with doing a beautiful job of casting the other side as being the negative campaigners. As long as that's the perception, he and his staff can say anything they want about McCain/Palin and people believe it. It's worked so far, but the polls are starting to show that it's beginning to wear thin. BTW, you want to get a good idea as to which side is REALLY negative? Just do a daily scan of the comments on these ticker articles!

October 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  4. Brittany

okay i may not be old enough to vote but

OBAMA is amazing

October 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  5. PALIN WHO?!?!?!?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OBAMA/BIDEN '08 AND '12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VOTE FOR PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 20, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  6. No Hillary = No Obama

When are people going to wake up and smell the narcissism?

October 20, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  7. Joe Hussein McCain

I think Palin likes Obama, I think she's falling in love with him...

October 20, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  8. Arin

The smartest thing Palin could do is to considerably retract the negative Obama/Biden comments in her speech. The more negative she goes, the more her own negatives go up. If she is thinking about 2012, ditch McCain and start campaigning for 2012 now. Otherwise, all of this will haunt her 4 years from now.

October 20, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  9. Karen--- Palin is so Barbaric!

Palin is consistly saying things.. this time is the truth! McCain/Palin is a total waste.. and McCain is extremely racist by way of NOT rejecting the people at his rallies. I can't wait for this campaign to be over and if McCain gets into office I'M LEAVING THE UNITED STATES!

NO WAY, NO HOW, NO MCCAIN

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

October 20, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  10. True Blue Ohio

I love that two men of integrity will be representing me. This filth that is being spewed in the name of Republicans is offensive even to them. We have to stop demonizing the other point of view.

October 20, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  11. hurriCAIN PALIN

nobama wants people to go out and vote early because he's shaking in his boots. nobama is the titanic, and mccain/palin is the iceburg that his goin to hit and sink. your done nobama.

October 20, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  12. Storm

I feel sad for John McCain, he seems like really nice guy and unfortnately he is tied to the Republican party. He ususally takes a more moderate, common sense view and the extreme right is dictating his run for president. After the comments from Palin and watching a few of her rally's, I can't vote for a party that promotes these racist. And yes I am white. I have numerous black friends and while we discuss the different candidates I can't help but notice a glow of hope. Obama has inspired and I do believe he will do what he can for our country. Unlike, Palin who will set us back 50 years and let the religious right run her.

October 20, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  13. Peter (CA)

Willy Brown-your ignorance shows through. And I'm not just talking about your lousy spelling.

George-Well, I don't even know where to start with you.

Yes, the race is tighter than it should be. But the EV's look very positive. Obama is the one with the right message. Hopefully, voters will listen and do the right thing.

October 20, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  14. Samuel

Win for Obama in Florida is a done deal. McCain will be runners up in Florida. I am loving this situation.

October 20, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  15. Countdown with Keith Olbermann

Palin is just trying to preserve what's left of her "after-McCain-campaign" political career. She is pathetic, she is just as guilty as the robocalls if not more guilty. Only an ignorant person such as Sarah would allow herself to be used to be the breeder of so much hatred in America. Sarah Palin and John McCain should be ashamed of themslelves.

October 20, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  16. Gerri

Let's stop the hate and become the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Gerri

October 20, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  17. Coco 5

What I admire the most about Barack Obama is that he is urging everyone to vote. I mean of course he wants you to vote for him, but I think one of his stronger messages is that everyone with the right to vote should go out and do so. I haven't heard McCain or Palin stressing how important it is to exercise your right to vote. I volunteer for the Obama Campaign by making calls to swing states, and the message that we are trying to get across is GET OUT & VOTE, rather than pressuring people to vote for Obama. I think that this strategy (or tactic, whatever) is very commendable.
    I have never before been soo engulfed in a election. I am absolutely mesmerized. I am soo happy that my birthday falls the day after election day when I can celebrate; Bye Bye Bushy, and HELLO CHANGE!!!!! Thank you Barack Obama and Joe Biden for bringing me hope.
    OBAMA/BIDEN 2008 2012

October 20, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  18. Suzy

CNN go out and get the real news from the people standing in line and get your numbers from that. Make sure your camera is running constantly, without doing the sound bites. Look at the lines!!!! Go get some real news stopping causing unnecessary drama. You haven't heard anything positive on any of the network about McCain but the polls are closing. People are tired of being jerked around by misleading information. Report the facts please since you are the most trusted news.

October 20, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  19. iyke in spain

OBAMA, is there any reason you are losing this election? I cant´t see any. You are winning and winning BIG!!!

October 20, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  20. America

There's a song that says "If loving you is wrong, I don't want to be right".

I feel the same way about my country "If loving America is wrong, I don't want to be right".

I'm picking Barack because I love this country and I feel he is the right person to lead this country at this time.

October 20, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  21. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

EARLY VOTING IN TEXAS STARTED TODAY!

YES WE CAN!

October 20, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  22. Grace

GO OBAMA!!!!!

I will personally be glad when this campaign is over so we don't have to wonder how low McSame will go to try to woo voters!

More and more, his remarks and the remarks of his supporters smack of blatant racism.

This country is one country and there is no place for racism here.

GO OBAMA: 2008/12

October 20, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  23. Terry H

Yeah Obama supporters, he wants you to go ahead and vote early before you learn more about him and CHANGE your mind! His facade is breaking down everyday.

October 20, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  24. Mike in IL

Obama on the attack... while Biden is putting fear into the voters... all awhile McCain is talking economy and taxes!!!

What a shift!!!

Biden keep talking about how if Obama wins that some country is going to test the 47 year old freshman senator!!!

Why don't you go ahead and aggitate Rush... most of his listeners are not goint to vote for you any way... wait that same group can always be counted on to turn out every year!!!

Politics at its best.... WOW!!!

October 20, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  25. TIRED OF MCCAIN AND PALIN

For once this lady speaks the truth... I can see Palin sitting across for the world leaders winking and perhaps showing a little thigh. I can't believe McCain actions and I guess his Southern roots are creeping back up on him. Can you imagine if a McCain loses to a bi-racial man, when McCain ancestors owned SLAVES? Just a thought! Base on the way McCain has been running his campaign, the old south is back in full force. What McCain/Palin don't understand is Obama doesn't care if you are black, white, mexican, asian.. Obama cares about the people as a whole.. Obama doesn't see color and I love that about him.

Obama/Biden '08