October 20th, 2008

Palin and McCain disagree on federal gay marriage ban

Palin and McCain disagree on a federal gay marriage ban.
Palin and McCain disagree on a federal gay marriage ban.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) - Add one more policy item to the list of things John McCain and Sarah Palin disagree on.

Palin told CBN’s David Brody over the weekend that she supports a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, a proposal John McCain voted against in 2004. McCain believes the matter should be left to the states.

Brody asked Palin if she supports “something like” an amendment banning gay marriage.

“I am,” Palin said. “In my own, state, I have voted along with the vast majority of Alaskans who had the opportunity to vote to amend our Constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I wish on a federal level that that's where we would go because I don't support gay marriage.

“I'm not going to be out there judging individuals, sitting in a seat of judgment telling what they can and can't do, should and should not do,” she said. “But I certainly can express my own opinion here and take actions that I believe would be best for traditional marriage and that's casting my votes and speaking up for traditional marriage that, that instrument that it's the foundation of our society is that strong family and that's based on that traditional definition of marriage, so I do support that.”

McCain and Palin disagree on a number of issues, including stem cell research, whether or not global warming is man-made, and drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve.

In the past, McCain has joked away any policy differences between the two running mates.

“By the way, you may figure out from time to time, Sarah and I don’t agree on every issue,” McCain said at a joint town hall last month in Michigan. “What do you expect of two mavericks, to agree on everything? Eh?”

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Democrat from Arizona

I believe Sarah and John will take this country back in time...we need to look to the future and leave the past in the past!

October 20, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  2. Elizabeth in Illinois

So, the Queen of the Run-on Sentence wants the States to determine a woman's right to abortion, but a constitutional amendment to stop gay marriage? Yeah, right. That makes no sense.

And she can't seem to understand that our current progressive tax system is EXACTLY what she defines as "socialist".

October 20, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  3. pamela

So you say you won't judge people's choices in life partner, but you would enact federal legislation to deny them those choices. How would a constitutional amendment against same sex marriage NOT be an explicit, manifest judgement against that choice?

October 20, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  4. R, Ohio

This maverick garbage is getting out of hand. If they can't agree on a number of issues, how exactly do they plan to work together for the greater good of the country? Also, I am sick of Palin and the rest of the conservatives working tirelessly to push their issues and agendas on us. Palin is right to have an OPINION, but that does not mean that her views are those that should be put into law.

October 20, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  5. ANGIE

Sara Palin wants to make us UN AMERICAN Like her AIP friends in Alaska this womans Quest should scare the crap out of you!

October 20, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  6. gustav

I agree with Palin when it comes to the traditional marriage being between a man and a woman,even animals know that. Have u ever seen a she-goat mating with a she-goat?
    The family is the foundation of a society. Lets not destroy it because of politics.
    I disagree with McCain and Palin when they say Obama's tax cut is Socialist. Then is McCain's plan to buy bad mortgages not socialists? Why is he planning to save those who didn't plan their finances well?
    This is for the conservatives:I think Obama is more of a good Christian than you think. He loves GOD.

October 20, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  7. nelson

Oops! Not another disagreement. Who is running this ticket? If he gets the white house, will she undermine him? Will she go behind his back with a different agenda. This country needs solidity in its leadership. Sorry Folks, but it isn't on this ticket.

October 20, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  8. CJ form Portland

Two risky "mavricks" trying to run the Country... I don't think so. That's like giving a 5 year old a loaded gun and hoping for the best. NO WAY NO HOW NO PALIN? MCCAIN...whoops MCCAIN/PALIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 20, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  9. Alissa in Kansas

I was already against this ticket even if for no other reason than this. She wants to choose what my legal rights and status are with my partner? NO WAY! She's got no right to do so! Nor would I ever let someone try to put legal pressure on me.

October 20, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  10. CR in WI

Isn't that a flip flop from her debate position? I remember her mentioning she had friends of all backgrounds, inferring that she had some homosexual friends.

She is also in favor of a federal law requiring a witch doctor in every district. . . .

October 20, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  11. texas votes

i just wish some editor would have proof read the statement made by Palin so it could be translated into English. what happened with the run on sentence? also, who cares about what other people do in their own homes? how does it really affect anyone else? because we have to see it? so what, get over it.

October 20, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  12. myshael

2 self-proclaim mavericks?!?!?

come on people! wake up and vote OBINEN please!!!

*********OBINEN 2008*******

October 20, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  13. gregor

Hi, this is from germany, an external view and comment on the american election:
    I like america, have been there several times and think it´s a great country. But if you´re really going to make Sarah Palin a vice president the only possible interpretation would be: a whole nation (or at least half of it) went nuts.
    I don´t agree with McCain on most issues but he is electable in some way, but Palin ....?

Please don´t do it, It won´t be a joke, it would be a deseaster, not just for america.

October 20, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  14. Cyrus K.

This is the same woman who lied in her interview with Couric, stating that she is not the person who would impose rules on the lives of others.

The "sanctity of marriage" argument is as outdated as creationism, and these nut cases need to stop denying equal rights to others, regardless of their sexual orientation.

October 20, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  15. Jen

I wonder what her imaginary gay friend has to say about that?

October 20, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  16. Gary

Mrs. Obama discussed her party's socialist plans for America with a group of women in Harrisburg, NC.:
    "Most Americans", she said, "don't want much. They don't want the whole pie," she told the women."There are some who do, but most Americans feel blessed just being able to thrive a little bit."
    This from a socialist who made $4.2 million last year. What a hypocrite.

October 20, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  17. Jenny

I just don't like McGrit & Mrs.Gritter.
    I hope Nov 4 comes soon, so I don't have to listen to these two idiots.
    One is a joe plummer and the other is ja oe the six packer.
    Can you imagine how low the bar is for these two in a presidential elections?
    One is going to loose his honour, credibility and the other loosing her seat for governor
    McOld did not put the country first. He put himself first, and McMoose put herself first .
    Good riddens to both.
    Vote for Obama & Biden.

October 20, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  18. Bill

these people run on hatred and they fuel the hatred of those like them.

October 20, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  19. Richard, Madison, WI

Next thing you know someone will write an amendment to ban all marriages of those who happen to be part of the evangelical movement (not sure movement is an accurate description). This is precisely the problem with McFlipper and Palin. Neither can see that diminishing the consititution sets the stage for their rights being tampered with. This selective morality needs to stop.

October 20, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  20. Stupid is as stupid does

Hmm. I guess if he had vetted her properly, this wouldn't be an issue....because he wouldn't have selected her.

October 20, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  21. 'Anti-American' Maryland

They certainly do disagree a lot don't they?
    And also...since when is McCain pro-life? I thought I remembered him being pro-choice back when I actually liked him because he was a totally different person.

I just want this all to be over. I'm so sick of listening to the both of these clowns.

Obama-Biden '08. GET OUT AND VOTE!!!

October 20, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  22. ek

Seems like Sarah Palin is laying the groundwork for her own run for national office by trying to separate herself from the McCain campaign. Great selection there, John.

October 20, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  23. Sheldon the Wonder Horse

Maybe she could use the word "that" a little more so her comments make even less sense.

October 20, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  24. nhcountryboyz

Sarah Palin has proved to be a hilariously-entertaining and potent one-woman Get-Out-The-Obama-Vote machine: every time she demonstrates her narrow-minded knucklehead ideas she adds to the Obama/Biden victory margin. You go, girl!!!!!!! (Back to Juneau, I mean.)

October 20, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  25. David

She is for state rights when it comes to abortion (wants to take down Roe v Wade) yet she wants the feds to decide when it comes to gay marriage rights? She is not a "federalist" as she says....she really doesn't make any sense and she would wreck our country.

October 20, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |