October 20th, 2008

Palin says voters 'irritated' by robocalls

Palin discussed GOP robocalls and socialism on Sunday.
Palin discussed GOP robocalls and socialism on Sunday.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) – All of a sudden, Sarah Palin is eager to meet the press.

John McCain’s running mate took questions from her press corps for the second time in three days late Sunday after flying into Colorado Springs. But Palin was not completely on message.

Wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and standing on a breezy tarmac, Palin said that if she had her way, the McCain campaign and the Republican National Committee would not be flooding battleground states with automated phone calls tying Barack Obama to former radical William Ayers, as they have done over the last week.

Several top Republicans, including Senators Susan Collins and Norm Coleman, have condemned the tactic. Asked about those criticisms, Palin at first dismissed the matter as "inside baseball stuff" and said it's "some of the campaign top brass’s call on that."

But when asked if she would approve the use of robocalls if she were running the campaign, Palin said she’d probably chart a different course.

"If I called all the shots, and if I could wave a magic wand," Palin said, "I would be sitting at a kitchen table with more and more Americans, talking to them about our plan to get the economy back on track and winning the war, and not having to rely on the old conventional ways of campaigning that includes those robocalls, and includes spending so much money on the television ads that, I think, is kind of draining out there in terms of Americans' attention span.

"They get a bit irritated with just being inundated," she continued, "and you're seeing a lot of that of course with the huge amounts of money that Barack Obama is able to spend on his ads and his robocalls also."

Ultimately, the Alaska governor said she was not calling for an end to the automated calls, and she did not say if she had spoken to campaign officials at any point about the calls.

Palin was also asked if she and McCain believe that Barack Obama’s tax plan, which would raise taxes on Americans making over $250,000 and provide tax credits to middle and lower-income workers, is socialist. At a campaign rally in New Mexico earlier Sunday, Palin said Obama wants to "experiment with socialism."

"There are socialist principles to that, yes," Palin said of Obama's plan. "Taking more from a small business or small business owners or from a hard working family and then redistributing that money according to a politician’s priorities. There are hints of socialism in there."

Asked if she thinks the government’s plan to inject billions of taxpayer dollars directly into troubled banks amounts to socialism - a belief held by many conservative legislators, talk radio hosts and bloggers - Palin said, "No, I do not."

"I believe that there are those measures that had to be taken by congress to shore up not only the housing market but the credit markets also, to make sure that that’s not frozen, so that our small businesses have opportunities to borrow, and that was the purpose, of course, and that part of the bailout and the shoring of the banks," she said.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. sue calgary

Countdown to Nov. 4th! Enough of this! McCain I would suggest stopping the use of smear tactics and using the remaining time before election day to try to restore your image to it's former "glory". Right now it's in tatters AND you are definitely not winning the White House. A lose, lose situation??!

Leave the comment in moderation. You always do!

October 20, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  2. T

I knew people would think Colin Powell endorsed Obama because he is a black man. However, nothing is being said about the white people that endorse McCain or the White women that are voting for McCain/Palin because Palin is a white woman.

October 20, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  3. Walt

Anyone who even remotely believes that this woman should be allowed in the white house should sue the the school system that allowed them to graduate, regardless of the level of education.

The only difference between Palin Bush is body parts. Ahhhh, and most of you think he did a good job too...

Hate Obama all you want, just be honest about the garbage you are supporting. Just one of you be honest and tell us you are voting republican despite the candidates that are running.

October 20, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  4. no fear

I cannot refer to McCain and Palin as Republicans, as I don't want to insult those who are discerning, intelligent people. I don't see the McCain -Palin campaign as Republicans, but rather some distorted, slightly facist version of it.

I cannot believe we set the bar so low with having Palin on the ticket. Truly, what were we thinking? Who wants an "ordinary person" running for one of the highest positions? It feels surreal.

October 20, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  5. Frank,MO

Well, Palin herself is kind of a living Robocall. Without a script she cannot mumble a complete sentence. She is 'good' at reading her hate speeches though – works for the American brown-shirts.

October 20, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  6. Richard D.

Definition of a robocall: any speech Palin gives.

October 20, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  7. Helen

Palin is the laughter America needs right now. Unfortunately it is at her and Joe the plumber express.

But think about what they each have in common. "John McCain"!!!!

JM thrushed them into this campaign and then he blames the Obama campaign.

SNL has it best rating in history....why? Again, because we need to laugh right now to keep from crying and Gov. Palin is the joke.

The VP debates and SNL rating were that high b/c we enjoying laughing at the expense of others.

Palin could leave...and Joe could sit down somewhere...but no they insist on staying. So I will keep tuning in for this Comedy we call news.

October 20, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  8. Gerald in Georgia

CNN who writes your headlines for these stories? They are so mis- leading because of the way they are worded. Palin isn't attacking Obama comment, she's attacking her and McCain's comments about Obama. The headline should read "Palin attacks John Mccain on robo calls, Campaign not on the same page".

October 20, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  9. Mr Brown

Something tells me she's planting seeds to begin her own campaign in 2012. At the end of the campaign she's expressing differences with her running mate???

Seems like a potential run to me

October 20, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  10. BJD

These tactics reek of desperation, and they are backfiring, as they're helping push people like Powell to endorse Obama. When this is the best attack you've got, you know you're in trouble. Of course, who can blame them for trying to leverage cheap, debunked scare tactics again...

October 20, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  11. Mike

It's nice to finally have something to agree with Palin on. The robocalls are too much, from either campaign. The odds of an automated call changing a vote to be for you never out weighs the risk of annoying someone into voting for the other guy.

As for Socialism, I think I'll be brave enough to not hide under my bed this time. ;-) You can mock Obama's plans as Socialism all you want. You can point to Canada and the UK's Health Plans as Socalist ideas that Obama is aiming for. But why is it that report after report show that the countries with "Socialized" Medical Care have better medical support for their citizens. We're at the bottom of all the lists. The worst Industrialized Nation for Education, Health Care, Environment, Infant and Birth Mother mortality, etc. Oh sure, we have the best Medicine in the world for the 5% who can afford it. But what about the other 95%? "Socialized" Medicine is a risk I'm willing to take. Our Heath Care rankings have no where to go but up.

October 20, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  12. Sharon from Dumfries Virginia

Linda, people like me decided to support Obama with my monthly small donation as many others have. McCain made a choice to use government tax dollars for his campaigne. So if, what you are saying about Obama then why is it that McCain is using government funds is okay.

October 20, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  13. America demands answers

Sen Obama has been on FOX news more than 5 times this election circle. He has been interviewd by chicago tribune(Anti- Democrat) Joe Biden has been meet the press over and over....Joe the plumber granted interviews more than 20 times in one week with the "MAIN STREAM LIBRAL MEDIA" as for McCain and Sara Palin.....all the media except Fox news are Anti- American.
    Wake up people lets demand answers!!

October 20, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  14. Jim-in-PA

In the last 6 days I've gotten 4 RoboCalls from the RNC. One was recorded by Palin herself to "invite" me to hear her speak locally. Dealing with a family member having health problems and keep running to the phone for this garage. There should be a do no call list for this crap. Now McCain himself is coming.... time for more crap calls.

October 20, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  15. That one is Karl Marxs friend too

One more thing about Palin-

Her debate broke records in viewership (no way people were watching for Biden)
    Her convention speech broke records in viewership
    Her Sat night live was the most watched in 14 years.
    She has a 80% approval rating in Alaska.
    There are more that want to see her than not.

She is a formidable opponent.

October 20, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  16. Earl

Linda. I am an unemployed IT worker who is possibly going to loose his house. I donated to the Obama campaign 25 dollars which I could not really afford. This middle aged white, former U.S. Marine war vet, Former Republican did so because he believes in Mr. Obama’s message. We need change and we need change now. And this is my first time in my 28 years of voting eligibility to donate to any campaign.

Lets take the 10 billion a month and get Americans back on track.

October 20, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  17. DANIELLE FROM VA

I can't believe this. This type of tactic puts Obama and his family at an even higher risk of danger. What if her family were being targeted for being secessionist???? And they were being threatened because now, the American people believe that they dont want to be Americans anymore. I pray for her...but I pray more for the safety of Obama's family who are they actual victims.

October 20, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  18. Judy Miami Fl

Just voted in Florida- lines around the corner. Lots of young people and many of them wearing Obama t-shirts.

Palin is just looking forward – looser. Hopefully Nov 5, we'll be waving bye-bye to her and the "first dude." & family.

October 20, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  19. You Know Who

Shall we add McLoser and McFry to McCains name, come November 4th?

October 20, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  20. Mark

All I know is if Barack gets elected I can quit my job. Why work for a living when I can sit back and let the socialist take money from the rich and give it to me.

Remember the cold war?? Obama will turn this country into the old USSR, and as I recall their system didn't work too well.

October 20, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  21. Veteran in Kansas

Robocalls, my god, I hang up om everyone I get fron the RNC, and my Republican elected officials.

As for Colin Powell, I am glad to see he has finally cut his ties and started to speak for himself. Negativiity we do not need, solutions we do need, but if one has no solutions, no new policies all one can do is attacks those that do.

As to redistibuation of wealth, what has permitted the federal government to respond to economic downward motion in the past is federal dollars going into federal projects. But there are no federal dollars today, tax cuts to buisnesses and the upper 2% rather than fueling growth have gone right into the pockets of those that received them in the first place. Trickle down failed before and has proven itself a bigger failure this time around.

October 20, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  22. Ian

Sounds like the campaign is falling apart.

October 20, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  23. lindsey

Obama should take the white house. It's seems that's the only way people will understand how much he will ruin the country. If you like european ideals so much, go live in Europe. I like my America the way it is, faults in all. People want more economic security but aren't willing to pay the price of economic opportunity. You can't have both. Obama's plans focus on splitting the pie instead of making it bigger.
    Jimmy Carter was going to bring change to Washington too. How did that work out for you?

October 20, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  24. Brian, NJ

Is Sarah Palin separating herself from the McCain campaign so she can blame them for their loss and set herself up to run in 4 years? I wouldn't vote for her, but she WAS funning on SNL both in the opening and Weekend Update.

October 20, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  25. TW

I agree that Bush has led the country down a path of difficult times with the Iraq war. However, I think that if any of you looked at what has been going on, you would see that it's the democrats and the Clinton era that's caused the bank crisis. They loosened up the credit markets to help the urbanites get approved for mortgages.

I busted my butt putting myself through college at night, working a job and running a weekend handyman business. Why should I pay for others to go to school? I served my time

October 20, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |