October 20th, 2008

Palin says voters 'irritated' by robocalls

Palin discussed GOP robocalls and socialism on Sunday.
Palin discussed GOP robocalls and socialism on Sunday.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) – All of a sudden, Sarah Palin is eager to meet the press.

John McCain’s running mate took questions from her press corps for the second time in three days late Sunday after flying into Colorado Springs. But Palin was not completely on message.

Wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and standing on a breezy tarmac, Palin said that if she had her way, the McCain campaign and the Republican National Committee would not be flooding battleground states with automated phone calls tying Barack Obama to former radical William Ayers, as they have done over the last week.

Several top Republicans, including Senators Susan Collins and Norm Coleman, have condemned the tactic. Asked about those criticisms, Palin at first dismissed the matter as "inside baseball stuff" and said it's "some of the campaign top brass’s call on that."

But when asked if she would approve the use of robocalls if she were running the campaign, Palin said she’d probably chart a different course.

"If I called all the shots, and if I could wave a magic wand," Palin said, "I would be sitting at a kitchen table with more and more Americans, talking to them about our plan to get the economy back on track and winning the war, and not having to rely on the old conventional ways of campaigning that includes those robocalls, and includes spending so much money on the television ads that, I think, is kind of draining out there in terms of Americans' attention span.

"They get a bit irritated with just being inundated," she continued, "and you're seeing a lot of that of course with the huge amounts of money that Barack Obama is able to spend on his ads and his robocalls also."

Ultimately, the Alaska governor said she was not calling for an end to the automated calls, and she did not say if she had spoken to campaign officials at any point about the calls.

Palin was also asked if she and McCain believe that Barack Obama’s tax plan, which would raise taxes on Americans making over $250,000 and provide tax credits to middle and lower-income workers, is socialist. At a campaign rally in New Mexico earlier Sunday, Palin said Obama wants to "experiment with socialism."

"There are socialist principles to that, yes," Palin said of Obama's plan. "Taking more from a small business or small business owners or from a hard working family and then redistributing that money according to a politician’s priorities. There are hints of socialism in there."

Asked if she thinks the government’s plan to inject billions of taxpayer dollars directly into troubled banks amounts to socialism - a belief held by many conservative legislators, talk radio hosts and bloggers - Palin said, "No, I do not."

"I believe that there are those measures that had to be taken by congress to shore up not only the housing market but the credit markets also, to make sure that that’s not frozen, so that our small businesses have opportunities to borrow, and that was the purpose, of course, and that part of the bailout and the shoring of the banks," she said.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. AUC

The pig with the lipstick is still smarter! This lady is still scarey and I do not want the future of my 8 year old son left in her hands.

Vote Obama/Biden for a better future for America 08/12!

October 20, 2008 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  2. ricardo williams

This campaign is all over the place. There is no organization in the McCain camp. Everytime Sarah Palin speaks McCain is closer to getting a heart-attack. I've never seen a campaign stray from the issues and spend so much time on negative ads.

McCain you are going to lose the election. You have a slim chance of winning if you spread your wealth around. Yes your 8 houses and 12 cars.

October 20, 2008 06:47 am at 6:47 am |
  3. ushaka defreitas

Sarah Palin says she's a christian but where in the bible does it condone hunting innocent animals for sport...

Please vote for a true christian..
    Obama/Biden 08 !!!

October 20, 2008 06:47 am at 6:47 am |
  4. mik

ummmm......how is bush scaring us into giving wall street $800 billion and partially nationalizing major banks NOT socialism??? she's nuts.

and yes, those robocalls should be criminal. what if a child picked up the phone and had to hear all that???

October 20, 2008 06:47 am at 6:47 am |
  5. Blue By You

Palin has no understanding of the word Socialism. A tax cut is not Socialism. The McCain camp is using the word to instill fear because MOST people do not know what Socialism is, so it must be bad.

October 20, 2008 06:48 am at 6:48 am |
  6. Badger

I'm irritated by Sarah's voice.

October 20, 2008 06:49 am at 6:49 am |
  7. andrea

According to Mrs. Palin, when the rich lose money, compensating them with the money of everyone is ok. But when they gain, it is their money; untouchable. Isn't that socialism for the benefit of the minority well off only?

October 20, 2008 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  8. Stephen in Bedford, TX

Trying to read her quotes makes George W. Bush sound like William F. Buckley. She has got to me the most inarticulate national politician in modern times.
    After the swiftboat ads of 2004 and some of the other campaign tactics, I'm glad Obama chose to opt out of public financing. It provided him with resources to fight the lies and smears.
    Colin Powell's endorsement redeems the former Secretary of State for his contributions of leading us in the wrong direction of the war. Way to go General.

October 20, 2008 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  9. missi

Poor John McCain. I almost feel sorry for him. His own running mate doesn't even agree with how he's handling the campaign.

October 20, 2008 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  10. Not

Read the Marksist plank and find that one of the basic founding principals is redistribution of wealth. Bush isn't a lot better! But McCain is not Bush and two wrongs do not make it right! Obama is a Marksist / Racist. We will not be able to recognize the USA after this guy gets through with us!

October 20, 2008 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  11. Art

I used to be a Democrat because my parents and town leaders made me be one; then, suddenly, I became a man. Having learned to stand on my own two feet, and not on the backs of others, who work hard. Unafraid to protect my countrymen with my life, if they need. And, I do not require others to do what I do, simply, they can follow me if they choose. So, after my decades- long journey in the United States Navy, I must say that I admire the willingness of George Bush to continue to stand in that terrible office of United States President, and, I cannot understand why Sarah Palin and John McCain want to dive into that horrible position: They know what they are getting into, where Mr. Obama has absolutely no idea. So, for the heroes: I am supporting Sarah and John for their courage before the storm. May the pieces of my body, left on the shores of many countries, grow new life from the soil they have made.

October 20, 2008 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  12. blaising

D'ja run outa duct tape for the pitbull's piehole? Better get a handle on this this thing, McKnucklehead. Your campaign is comin' apart at the seams!!

October 20, 2008 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  13. go vote

that – also – too and STUFF

My God

Banks are one of the same bunch of people sending jobs over seas by the droves. And more and more anything that doesn't require a face to face interaction is done by someone in Calcutta or Hyberdad... glad we could bail them out.

October 20, 2008 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  14. Brian

Everytime the Republicans run into difficulty on the campaign trail they resort to using fear buzz words in order to try and fool the American people into believing that the Republican Party is better for our country. Words like socialism and terrorist. Well I have news for the Republican Party, it isn't going to work this time. Mainstream Americans are very tired of the politics of division, hate and fear. They are tired of the religious right trying to force their way of life and belief down the throats of the rest of us. If you are not for the Republicans and their disasterous policies of the past eight years that somehow makes you unpatriotic and evil. The more desperate they become the more they attack and spout their nonsense. Well the writing is on the wall for the Republican Party and those who would continue the disaster that has dragged down our economy, our standing in the world and our hopes for the future. The Republicans are the disease and Obama/Biden is the cure.

October 20, 2008 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  15. the Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

A refreshing candidate. I am going to endorse her tomorrow. I think Powell is sort of shallow. When he disses her he also disses Obama. Obama has zero experience in anything except running off at the mouth and lying.

In Palin we see an American gal who made it on her own and is now being targeted by left wingers. I am amazed.

Obama, the guy who wants to tax "Joe the Plumber" and all of you and give it to the queens. Amazing that you are falling for that crap.

McCain a man who will protect our country and our values. Don't forget Powell said we would have a crisis on Jan 21 or 22. Obama not ready says biden and Hillary. McCain ready

October 20, 2008 06:56 am at 6:56 am |
  16. Paralegal in NC

It appears that McCain schooled her too well and now she has a thought process(of sorts). She understands the ship is sinking and is making her own run for 2012.. See McCain, thats what happens when you educate someone to think; they begin to depart from your message.

Obama/Biden 2008

October 20, 2008 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  17. Candy West Virginia

We are irrated by robo calls and the horrible, dishonest campaign of you and mccain.
    mccain/palin = pathological clueless liars!

October 20, 2008 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  18. afra

Those remarks were made by Tina Fey, they could not come from the real Sarah Palin, I mean McCain's running mate.

October 20, 2008 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  19. dutch163

so what she is saying is she has no control she just does what she is told to do???
    even if it is against her conscience?

October 20, 2008 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  20. Ben

so now she is for Obama...McCain is alone!

October 20, 2008 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  21. park more

Yes CNN she is the one who can make the decision when to meet the press, and sure not you. I am democrat and I wil vote for McCain for different reasons: 1- we do not know obama; 2- no experience just ambition the driver; 3 -his wife if you read her thesis you will see; 4- his connections....... ; 5- his taxes increases; and 6- Collin P just confirm to all people that issue of RACE, and I hope that all people, DNC and RNC to understand tha RACE issue and let them knwo that we can also play a game...... carefull planning when you cast your vote, vote McCain... palin is much better than him, with excellent CV, you like it or not it's a fact

October 20, 2008 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  22. Emily Frost

It shouldn't matter which party someone supports–the thought of Sarah Palin being within 1,000 heartbeats of the presidency, let alone a single heartbeat, should scare the living daylights out of every American. As a former independent, it's the one single move by McCain that led me to vote for Obama. Such a bad judgment call on his part. And I'm sure glad individuals of the caliber of Colin Powell agree with me!

October 20, 2008 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  23. andrew

good stuff

October 20, 2008 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  24. republicans hate america

God these people have zero limits when it comes to talking out of both sides of their mouths

October 20, 2008 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  25. JIM HAWK

YOU ARE A TOTAL BLOWHARD PALIN..GET A LIFE !!!

October 20, 2008 07:01 am at 7:01 am |