October 20th, 2008

Palin says voters 'irritated' by robocalls

Palin discussed GOP robocalls and socialism on Sunday.
Palin discussed GOP robocalls and socialism on Sunday.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) – All of a sudden, Sarah Palin is eager to meet the press.

John McCain’s running mate took questions from her press corps for the second time in three days late Sunday after flying into Colorado Springs. But Palin was not completely on message.

Wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and standing on a breezy tarmac, Palin said that if she had her way, the McCain campaign and the Republican National Committee would not be flooding battleground states with automated phone calls tying Barack Obama to former radical William Ayers, as they have done over the last week.

Several top Republicans, including Senators Susan Collins and Norm Coleman, have condemned the tactic. Asked about those criticisms, Palin at first dismissed the matter as "inside baseball stuff" and said it's "some of the campaign top brass’s call on that."

But when asked if she would approve the use of robocalls if she were running the campaign, Palin said she’d probably chart a different course.

"If I called all the shots, and if I could wave a magic wand," Palin said, "I would be sitting at a kitchen table with more and more Americans, talking to them about our plan to get the economy back on track and winning the war, and not having to rely on the old conventional ways of campaigning that includes those robocalls, and includes spending so much money on the television ads that, I think, is kind of draining out there in terms of Americans' attention span.

"They get a bit irritated with just being inundated," she continued, "and you're seeing a lot of that of course with the huge amounts of money that Barack Obama is able to spend on his ads and his robocalls also."

Ultimately, the Alaska governor said she was not calling for an end to the automated calls, and she did not say if she had spoken to campaign officials at any point about the calls.

Palin was also asked if she and McCain believe that Barack Obama’s tax plan, which would raise taxes on Americans making over $250,000 and provide tax credits to middle and lower-income workers, is socialist. At a campaign rally in New Mexico earlier Sunday, Palin said Obama wants to "experiment with socialism."

"There are socialist principles to that, yes," Palin said of Obama's plan. "Taking more from a small business or small business owners or from a hard working family and then redistributing that money according to a politician’s priorities. There are hints of socialism in there."

Asked if she thinks the government’s plan to inject billions of taxpayer dollars directly into troubled banks amounts to socialism - a belief held by many conservative legislators, talk radio hosts and bloggers - Palin said, "No, I do not."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Tony

What Palin says or thinks is irrelevant. She is the most incoherent, incompetent, babbling imbecile to come alond since Bush!

October 20, 2008 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  2. ready for change

palin you don't make any sense at all, i agree with General Powell, you are not ready to help lead this country, i don't think you are fit to be governor, maybe you will be impeached. VOTE OBAMA-BIDEN

October 20, 2008 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  3. Alex

I am one of the many Americans currently unemployed because of the inefficiencies, greed and corruption of Corporate America and our politicians, both federal and state. If I miss a phone call from an employer wanting to interview me because of a robocall, do I contact McCain and Palin or a lawyer to sue for my missed opportunity?

October 20, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  4. SC Resident

I agree with Sarah Palin – robocalls ARE irritating! Very much so!
    It's especially annoying when the phone rings off the hook 10 or more times per day to squawk, "Vote for..............." in those last days leading up to election.

After a few days of that, I KNOW who NOT to vote for! Believe me..... it happens! John Edwards did NOT get my vote in the primary for that very reason.

October 20, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  5. Irene

"Hints of socialism"? So is our constitutional right to education... What an idiot she is. To bring accusations of socialistic ideology up against someone in America, one must be prepared to have more facts than a few words taken out of context. Such accusations can not appear 2 weeks prior to presidential elections. There has to be a serious proven history behind it. If someone would have done it against me I would have taken that person to a court of law for false accusations of treason.
    2. GOP campaign is so low, it stinks... They grab any rotten bone they can dig and let the pit bull off the leash. The pit bull growls and drools all over it until a few cavemen sense the smell of rot and crawl out of their holes to perform some ritual dancing and yell words they don't understand. GOP better be careful with terrorism accusations too – wittisisms like "No, he is not an Arab, he is a decent man", or supporting implications of all "Husseins" being terrorists by definition result in BREEDING terrorists all over the world, turning more and more people and nations against us. The world is watching our elections closely, and the world is getting really scared. There are many "undecided voters" out there, and we better have them as decided American allies. We bred enough terrorists in Iraq already.

We all remember who appealed to the most ignorant part of population throughout modern history.

In my mind I am still trying to separate a dignified soldier from a leader of this dirty dancing, and retain my respect for soldier and POW John McCain... How sad....

Obama/Biden 08!

October 20, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  6. Denise OKC

Linda..... Some folk would rather sit back, complain and do Nothing.

Obviously....We hard working Americans support Sen Obama do so not just our money...but with our time - WE NEED CHANGE and we believe in putting our money where our mouth is.

Just sent more. Obama/Biden 08

October 20, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  7. Charles

Gov. Palin can't even name one newspaper she has been reading so what makes you think she understands what "socialism" means.My 4th grade son was able to name three newspapers when I asked him.Is Sarah Palin really a christian?She lies too much.I don't think Jesus is happy with her.As a pentecostal myself, I find that very appalling.God bless USA. Amen!

October 20, 2008 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  8. Jayne

Can the media please ask Palin what does "socialism" mean?
    I am sure that she has no clue. Because "socialism" is about governments having control of the Mean of Production ... it is not about taxing certain brakets of wealthy people a little more than the rest of us. Can the media please call the McCain/Palin gimmick for what it is? and to inform the misinformed and misguided public.

October 20, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  9. rm

@ Linda:

Obama's money comes from donations from individuals who sends the money voluntarily. As hard as times are, I have been sending as much money to Obama so that I can to ensure I do my part to elect to BETTER candidate to the White House. You make NO sense. Find something else.

October 20, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  10. Internet Argument Winner

15 days until no more Palin.

October 20, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  11. Danel

How come NOBODY investigated enough about Palin's husband involvement of the Alaska Independent party? Her Church? Furthermore, accusing Obama of socialism? Didn't Bush and McCain just approve the biggest bailout? What do you call that?

October 20, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  12. Jyrl James

There is a huge diference between saying a tax cut for 95% of working families and a tax breal for 95% of Americans. CNN is dangerously providing false information under the pretense of being the Truth Squad.

October 20, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  13. Kim

The Cold and Calculating Moose Barbie is already distancing herself from a loser in order to run again .

October 20, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  14. vinnie

quote from palin: "I believe that there are those measures that had to be taken by congress to shore up not only the housing market but the credit markets also, to make sure that that’s not frozen, so that our small businesses have opportunities to borrow, and that was the purpose, of course, and that part of the bailout and the shoring of the banks," she said.

seriously, worse than bush. palin is the reason i won't be voting for mccain. obama/biden '08!!!

October 20, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  15. Judy

Will the real Alaskan Palin step up and tell us what she is about and if she has awaken to the call of the Republicans dirty tactics that she is trying to persuade people that she is not a part of now. Sarah I don't understand how you can flip on your peeps.

Girl you better watch out because right now you are asking for a job with the Dems. You are going against your party and you have not been elected yet. Gen. Powell woke you up this morning and told you hold imoral it is to flood people phone with worthless news. Well Sarah good for you.

October 20, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  16. vic

People keep making excuses for John McCain – they keep saying, "he's just not aware of what his campaign is doing"...well, I for one don't believe it, and, if true, then what does that tell us about McCain – it tells us that he can't run his own campaign must less our country.
    I listened to General Powell, and I commend him for actually speaking up and reminding people that these attacks from McCain and Palin, accusing Senator Obama of being a terrorist, a treasonist, etc., are going out over the AlZegera (sp) airwaves and doing a lot of harm to our country. I believe the McCain camp are trying to get us attacked again.
    Stop the madness McCain. You and Palin are driving a deep divide in this great country along racist and gender lines.

October 20, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  17. rick in nc

To M S Redhead...What rock have you been living under?? Talk about seizing a comment...McCain and Palin have taken volumes of material out of context, misrepresented and outright lied about what was said or done by Obama. I don't understand how they close their eyes at night...When they put out an ad that attacks Obama's character, it's "just politics"...when Obama disagrees with McCain's policy, it's "dirty smear tactics"
    Give me a break...McCain and Palin clearly don't have a workable ideology or even common sense at times. You have to question the judgement of anyone who would pick a VP who is a "nobody" and try to make them "somebody".....You just can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop!

October 20, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  18. SENATUS POPOLUSQUE ROMANUS

Poor Sarah, she has not got a clue of the meaning of the questions put to her, let alone having the foggiest idea on how to construct replies in grammatically correct English.

October 20, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  19. Brad

Another pathetic move by the team of mavericks. Is it November 5th yet?

October 20, 2008 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  20. Tony

Hey Sarah,

Funny how you have not had time to appear on any of the Sunday talk shows and answer the tough questions, but I see you had the time to appear on Saturday Night Live.

LOSER!

October 20, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  21. julescator

Linda,

Obama's money came from US not from the GOVERNMENT. McCain takes Welfare money to run his campaign and just like Bush he is NOT spending it wisely.

Those of us who donate to Obama know that our money is being spent wisely. Obama has made virtually no mistakes and he is winning. I would say it is OUR money well speng.

McCain is on govt. Welfare and like many Welfare recipients, he is wasting money!

October 20, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  22. vic

Irritated is puttin it mildly.
    And she simply cannot stand there and say she dosen't fully endorse the calls – those calls are spewing the very words she's saying in the campaign trail.
    I'm ashamed of the republican party – ashamed and scared.
    They are igniting a divisive civil war that our country has spent decades trying to end.
    Shame on JOhn Mccain, Sara Palin, and the republican party.

October 20, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  23. Michael Scanlon

It's funny how a simple word such as "socialism" continues to strike a fear in Americans. Rather than looking beyond what has historically been done in health care and banking, it seems much easier to spread fear in the population. We as a society need to look beyond how government has traditionally worked and evolve as a people, because how things are going has been proven NOT to work for all people, but for the chosen few. "Socialism" is a broad brush that scares the American people into submission. A huge distraction that has also historically worked. I hope that America can learn to NOT let the old scare tactics of the past prevent them from moving into the future.

October 20, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  24. Mary

I will be so glad when this election is over...I really wonder What Gov Palin is thinking. Her snappy remarks and so call humor is sickening..... She is spewing hate.....Sad to say no one is bashing her when they say she seem silly or brain less, because she is acting that way.

October 20, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  25. Chuck

Now she is in diagreement with the people running John McSames campaign. I'll bet they are just wringing there hands asking how they can get her to go away. Too late now guys. You let your confused candidate pick from his gut, and this is what you got. A brainless beauty queen. Yah, sort of like Cindy McSame. Huh!

October 20, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |