October 20th, 2008

Palin says voters 'irritated' by robocalls

Palin discussed GOP robocalls and socialism on Sunday.
Palin discussed GOP robocalls and socialism on Sunday.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) – All of a sudden, Sarah Palin is eager to meet the press.

John McCain’s running mate took questions from her press corps for the second time in three days late Sunday after flying into Colorado Springs. But Palin was not completely on message.

Wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and standing on a breezy tarmac, Palin said that if she had her way, the McCain campaign and the Republican National Committee would not be flooding battleground states with automated phone calls tying Barack Obama to former radical William Ayers, as they have done over the last week.

Several top Republicans, including Senators Susan Collins and Norm Coleman, have condemned the tactic. Asked about those criticisms, Palin at first dismissed the matter as "inside baseball stuff" and said it's "some of the campaign top brass’s call on that."

But when asked if she would approve the use of robocalls if she were running the campaign, Palin said she’d probably chart a different course.

"If I called all the shots, and if I could wave a magic wand," Palin said, "I would be sitting at a kitchen table with more and more Americans, talking to them about our plan to get the economy back on track and winning the war, and not having to rely on the old conventional ways of campaigning that includes those robocalls, and includes spending so much money on the television ads that, I think, is kind of draining out there in terms of Americans' attention span.

"They get a bit irritated with just being inundated," she continued, "and you're seeing a lot of that of course with the huge amounts of money that Barack Obama is able to spend on his ads and his robocalls also."

Ultimately, the Alaska governor said she was not calling for an end to the automated calls, and she did not say if she had spoken to campaign officials at any point about the calls.

Palin was also asked if she and McCain believe that Barack Obama’s tax plan, which would raise taxes on Americans making over $250,000 and provide tax credits to middle and lower-income workers, is socialist. At a campaign rally in New Mexico earlier Sunday, Palin said Obama wants to "experiment with socialism."

"There are socialist principles to that, yes," Palin said of Obama's plan. "Taking more from a small business or small business owners or from a hard working family and then redistributing that money according to a politician’s priorities. There are hints of socialism in there."

Asked if she thinks the government’s plan to inject billions of taxpayer dollars directly into troubled banks amounts to socialism - a belief held by many conservative legislators, talk radio hosts and bloggers - Palin said, "No, I do not."

"I believe that there are those measures that had to be taken by congress to shore up not only the housing market but the credit markets also, to make sure that that’s not frozen, so that our small businesses have opportunities to borrow, and that was the purpose, of course, and that part of the bailout and the shoring of the banks," she said.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. ginger

Here's what's going to happen. When the Bush tax plan expires President Obama does not plan to renew it. This is why people making 250k a year will pay more. McCain wants to extend the Bush cuts because they benefit people and corporations earning 250k or more.

McCain/Palin have no real plan to help American so they lie.

October 20, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  2. Obamahastowin!!

Let Sarah savor her minute in the limlight. After Nov4, she'll be headed back to Alaska to shoot wolves and look out her window at Russia.

If by some quirk the country gives it to McPalin, then Canada is looking better all the time!

God save the Queen.

October 20, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  3. Iraq veteran for Obama

EARLY VOTING HAS BEGUN IN FLORIDA !!! I CANT WAIT TO VOTE FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA !!!!

OBAMA 08' 12'

October 20, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  4. sally Petri

Mccain made a huge mistake by choosing Palin as a running mate. She is an insult to Women, at least where I come from.. Does Mccain think that all women are this dumb. It tells me a lot about what he thinks of women in general. Mccain is a very smart Man or used to be. He just doesn't have what he did the last he ran. They say when you age the mind is the first to go. We need the rest of the world to respect the USA once again. We need leadership, we need honor – we need to be proud once again. We don't need SNL for the next 4 years.

October 20, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  5. Jim, Illinois

She's coming around by denouncing the bad Republican tactics. I think now there's only 80,000 more qualified VP's than her.

October 20, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  6. Obama 08: white, female, 60 yr old supporter

Eric Schmidt, the CEO for Google, is endorsing Obama and will be campaigning for him. Let's see how McCain tries to spin that as socialism!! What a joke this pair has made of the democratic process!

October 20, 2008 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  7. Tarrie

If she is acknowledging the Robo calls are irritating -why don't she and McCain stop it?

October 20, 2008 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  8. Tony

Palin accuses Obama of experimenting with Socialism.

B.S.!

In McCain's choice of her as a running mate, he is experimenting with the financial health and security of the country!

October 20, 2008 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  9. James From Chicago

Finally Palin and McCain are realizing the American people are
    tired of their smear tactics. That's why they are going to loose.
    I think Powell hit the nail on the head.

October 20, 2008 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  10. Hilly

This term Socialism that is the new buz word for the McCain campaign is just so bogus. "Oh my the Democrats are going to take your money and redistribute it in a way you don't approve!" Do people even stop to think that at this moment in time, in fact forever, we have not ever had any control over how the government chooses to spend our taxes? I might be wrong but I would like anyone who has been able to dictate to the government how to spend the taxes, please let me know how you did that. I'm sure a lot of us would love to know!!!!

October 20, 2008 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  11. For Barrack Obama in Florida and Ohio

. I think it is time to end eight years of Republican disaster that has caused so many problem to our Country and its citizens. Sen. Barack Obama es the right and only choice we have to put our Country back in the right path and regain the trust of the rest of the world.
    Sara palin does not make sense at all this lady is liemonger, fearmonger and very dangerous for our country both Mcain and Palin will start the 3rd World War.

Let's all vote Obama/Biden for president of the United States of America. the best and only choice for this country

October 20, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  12. Erick in Alabama

Aww she's trying to seem different from McCain. Why? What's she got up her sleeves?? Anyway, she needs to go back to Alaska, that's by the way booming economically while many other states are stuggling. I don't see Socialism here. Obama has a plan to help the "little guy" like myself.Also she needs to just go back to her beloved Alaska. I only hope/pray that Obama wins, and does the RIGHT things for out country. Get us out of Iraq, fix the economy, and restore confidnece of Americans to nations around the world. He needs to surround himself with smart knowledgeable people and he'll do fine.

OBAMA 2008

October 20, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  13. Show me - I'm from Missouri.

any small business owner who declares his company makes $250,000 or more needs a new accountant to help him figure out how to reduce his taxes. You would have to be stupid not to figure that out.

Sarah Palin could never figure that out.

McCain's health insurance program will eliminate any person with a pre-existing condition AND add 14% in extra taxes for any health insurance premiums paid for by the company you work for.

October 20, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  14. Mighty Joe Young

Palin, of course, could not define socialism. She could not explain whether government ownership of banks and credit is or is not socialism. She could not explain the difference between socialism, communism, corporatism, and fascism. She could not, I speculate, list three books that she has read this year. This lady is dangerous: pretty, articulate, and she actually thinks she knows what she's talking about. We need to be sure that she gets sent back where she came from.

October 20, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  15. Joey, MN

Wow!!! Palin is suddenly the model of campaign decency!!! With how dirty and immoral she has been, I guess its only a matter of time before she made a decision that shows a tiny amount of decency.

October 20, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  16. Amy

She disapproves of the the robocalls?

Aren't the calls just repeating the smear she spews out in every stump speech?

Maybe she's just upset that the calls aren't keeping up with her line of attack....Ayers is soooo last week......she's on to socialism now.......

October 20, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  17. davida

Can you name any of the VP losers for the last few elections?

I think Sarah will sonn join that anonymus crowd

October 20, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  18. Moe, NY

Yes Palin, I am sure voters are irritated by the "robocalls", just the same way most voters are irritated by your robo rehtoric, you are so very scripted and the sad part is that the script handed to you by the McCain campaign has no substance. Please do not try to distance yourself from McCain's nasty campaign and try to come back in 2012...you are not wanted.

October 20, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  19. Susan

I received one of those phone calls and was shocked at the content. I never dreamed government officials would stoop so low as to spread dangerous propaganda about another individual. So dangerous, so misleading and so untrue. Palin is a disgrace to this country in my opinion, no credentials to run for the party. What a sad state of affairs the Republican party has chosen, trying anything to save their last breath. This is supposed to be a free country, so if its free, stop the phone calls and spreading of lies and trying to start an all out riot of hatred. Let me decide who's on my phone line and whether or not I'd want to listen. Let me decide if I want to hate, which I wouldn't, shame on you McCain and shame on you Palin.

October 20, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  20. Tony

Only 15 days left until this babbling nightmare is histroy!

October 20, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  21. Holly

Obama decided to forgo the government money set aside for campaigning and raise his own money. He has raised unprecedented amounts of money. Key word, raised. McCain chose to use the $84 million alloted to campaigning FROM the federal government. Obama raised his own money, McCain used govt money. Please.

October 20, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  22. Republican Voting OBAMA

Wasted Airtime and they know it so this is not news worthy.

Obama has the credentials and will do a fine job in the whitehouse.

October 20, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  23. Jim from Pittsburgh

You know the scary thing in this whole situation is that some people really think she is qualified to be president.

October 20, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  24. Salliesue

I'd be curious to see if Palin has a definition for socialism besides "what Obama wants to do". With her limited knowledge of most of the issues, I have a feeling she's not real informed on this one either. Kudos to Colin Powell!!

October 20, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  25. Steve, From FL

Why do you think the media is shoving Palin in our faces?... is very simple, we're all fascinated with public figures making fools out of them selves, and Palin is a master at that. Those Palin moments are priceless and will last for a lifetime. I'm sure CNN won't post this comment because is showing the real reason we hear so much about her.

October 20, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |