October 21st, 2008

Biden: John, stop these calls!

Sen. Biden told John McCain to stop the robo-calls Tuesday.
Sen. Biden told John McCain to stop the robo-calls Tuesday.

GREELEY, Colorado (CNN) –- Joe Biden spoke directly to John McCain during a speech Tuesday afternoon, demanding that his campaign end robo-calls that attack Barack Obamas character.

“You've heard a lot of scurrilous ads and phone calls lately which lie about Barack Obama and also raise unfair questions about his character,” said Biden to a crowd of several thousand in rural Colorado. “A lot of Democrats are angry. But folks: if, God willing, we win this, when we win, we have to reach out. We have to isolate those extremes. We have to reach out to Democrats and Republicans and Independents.”

“And I say to my friend John McCain, if he's really serious when he said this morning on one of the shows that this election is all about the economy, then I say, John, stop your ads!” said Biden, raising his voice over the applause of the supporters. “Bring down those robo-calls. If it's about the economy, argue about the economy. Not about Barack Obama's character. Not about these scurrilous ads. John, stop these calls!”

On CBS’s Early Show Tuesday morning, anchor Harry Smith pressed McCain on comments made by a campaign advisor that the election isn’t about issues, but character.

“That's simply not true, responded McCain. “We've been focusing on the economy. Listen to me, I'm the candidate. And this - this campaign is about the economy.”

Colorado is one of several battleground states where the Arizona senator’s campaign is making robocalls that tie Barack Obama to 1960s radical William Ayers.

“These attacks don’t hurt Barack Obama, they hurt you, they divide the country,” Biden continued at his Colorado event Tuesday. “They distract people, or attempt to distract you, from things that are affecting people’s everyday lives.”

“Barack Obama and I can take two more weeks of these attacks, but our country cannot take four more years of this policy and these politics. It must, it must end, it must stop now!”

Filed under: Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. Kate

They won't stop the calls because this nonsense is all they have. it just doesn't seem to be working. I know I hang up the minute I realize a machine has called and never bother to listen to what the machine has to say. I think a lot of people are like me that way. Go Joe! We will prevail in a couple of weeks!

October 21, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  2. ST

He can't argue about something he knows nothing about.

October 21, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  3. ines

Who in their right mind is going to respond positively to a robocall? What kind of candidate is relying heavily on robocalls? What kind of judgement would it take for a candidate to use robocalls? Who would take a candidate seriously that would ever consider robocalls?

McCain, your campaign has been reduced several levels below spam and telemarkers.

October 21, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  4. Red, Red WHINE!!

McCains plan to buy bad mortgages: $300 Billion taxpayers money
    McCains Robo Call tactid: 9 points behind in Poll of Polls
    Palin getting sent back to Alaska Nov 4th: Priceless

October 21, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  5. Open Your 3rd Eye

JOE--BIDEN--WOULD--BEAT--MCSAME'S-–AZZ-

October 21, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  6. lily

Obama?Biden should make their own robocalls. Tell voters the truth in the calls and let the chips fall where they may.

October 21, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  7. Janine

On CBS’s Early Show Monday morning, anchor Harry Smith pressed McCain on comments made by a campaign advisor that the election isn’t about issues, but character.

“That's simply not true, responded McCain. “We've been focusing on the economy. Listen to me, I'm the candidate. And this — this campaign is about the economy.”

Sorry McCain but you're lost my vote on both the economy and character.

October 21, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  8. Obama-TX

Joe focus on wining for OBAMA and less on John McCain.... Let John McCain team worry about his FAIL strategy.

Obama/Biden win on November 4th.

October 21, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  9. Peter in PA

"Listen to me, I'm the candidate. And this — this campaign is about the economy.”

Man! talk about a campaign in disarray. Who is in control of Palin and Who is in control of McCain's advisors? Is this the type of leadership we need in this crucial times?

October 21, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  10. jm for sc

McCain does not care; he just want to win at any and all cost.

Obama/Biden 08

October 21, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  11. BV

Biden, quit giving McCain advice. I for one like the hole that he is digging for himself. Besides, the last thing this country needs is the lack of knowledge that he calls a running mate getting into the White House. That would be like leading a blind horse to the edge of a cliff and saying kiddy up. I shake with fear when I think of it.

October 21, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  12. Ian

Oh the humanity!

October 21, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  13. bill

go after them biden.like i know you can. but you owe the american people. an explation what the hell you were thinking. when you made that dumb statement about .barack being tested first six months.we know the right wing.is are and will do anything lie or not.so lets send moose back to alaska.mcbush back to his seven homes.AND BUSH CHANEY BEHIND BARS

October 21, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  14. BV

Biden, quit giving McCain advice. I for one like the hole that he is digging for himself. Besides, the last thing this country needs is the lack of knowledge that he calls a running mate getting into the White House. That would be like leading a blind horse to the edge of a cliff and saying giddy up. I shake with fear when I think of it.

October 21, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  15. Bill

Directed to all voters: In the spirit of skin tone and eloquence along with overall charima–Tiger Woods is to professional golf as Barack Obama would be to the Presidency of the USA!

October 21, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. nora CC TXAS

Joe, I wish JM would listen to you or to anyone. He is acting like an old fool and with Gidget by his side he is proving just how out of touch he is. Does he know how awful people feel when they hear all these drastic tactics? He is the one people should be afraid of.

October 21, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  17. Joe

Even if McCain said he would stop the attacking ads and robocalls you could not trust him to do it. He will say anything to win an election....

McCain in 2000 on his flip-flopping on the South Carolina flag: "I feared that if I answered honestly, I could not win the South Carolina primary. So I chose to compromise my principles."

"I promised to tell the truth always about my intentions and beliefs. I fell short of that standard in South Carolina."

He lies and lies and lies....

October 21, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  18. dEMOBRAT

I hope joe the senator is reading from a teleprompter while he is in office or it's going to be a wild ride!!!!!

October 21, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  19. mstercor

you go joe!!!!!!!

voted for obama, and feel great about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 21, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  20. Lesley

I thought the McCain camp said they have to turn the page on the economy. It is clear that McCain is erratic in more ways than one. Even his message changes from week to week with the polls. John McCain has never run this campaign, it has been run for him, and that is not the mark of a great leader.

October 21, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |