October 21st, 2008

Cindy McCain lashes out at media 'viciousness'

Cindy McCain criticized the media's coverage of her and her husband.
Cindy McCain criticized the media's coverage of her and her husband.

(CNN) - Cindy McCain, wife of Republican presidential candidate John McCain, decried the "viciousness of the media" Monday, days after the New York Times ran a front page story detailing her troubled history with prescription drugs and difficulty fitting into Washington social circles.

In an interview with Fox news that aired Monday night, Mrs. McCain said she thought the biggest difference between her husband's first presidential run eight years ago and his campaign this year was the media's attitude toward the Arizona senator's candidacy.

"What has really stunned me is the - quite honestly, is the kind of viciousness of the media on occasion," Mrs. McCain said. "In 2000 - there's certainly always been, you know, differences, and the - you know, the things that occur. But this has taken on a different tenor. And I don't know why and what's caused that, and I'm sorry for it because I think it turns a lot of young people off."

Cindy McCain's comments come a week after she accused Obama of waging the "dirtiest campaign" in U.S. history. On Monday, she also addressed the lengthy New York Times story directly, saying she has no plans to read it and has since received several messages of support.

"I did not read it, no. I did not read it, and I have no intention of reading it," she said. "My BlackBerry was loaded with friends the next morning saying, ‘I cannot believe this, you know? I'm sorry for you and all this.’"

The article drew a sharp response from the McCain campaign, which called it a "barrage of petty and personal attacks," and said the New York Times reporters "employed tactics that are obviously unprofessional and almost certainly unethical" in researching the story.

McCain attorney John Dowd also scolded the paper for rehashing a series of facts that he said have been long reported, and said they had failed to do similar investigative pieces into either Michelle or Barack Obama.

"It is worth noting that you have not employed your investigative assets looking into Michelle Obama. You have not tried to find Barack Obama's drug dealer that he wrote about in his book, Dreams of My Father," Dowd wrote in a letter to the paper.

1. mama4obama

Its that whole what goes around comes back around thing Cindy. You cannot be nasty (or your husband) on all fronts and then expect to be treated specially by anyone (including the media). Its a 2-way street. You boot people off the plane that do not share your same views...therefore exibiting the "you are either with us or against us" theme. I personally think think that you are just getting a little bit of what you and John have dished out back.

October 21, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  2. Julia O

It seems to me that Cindy McCain's perception of "viciousness" in the media is a projection of what is really the viciousness of the McCain campaign.

I don't really care that much about how many pills Cindy took, how much she stole from her charity, etc., etc. (although almost any other person would have been much more severely punished), but she should realize that her husband's campaign does not get to have it both ways.

October 21, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  3. BS not Maverick

I told you that McCain's economic plan consisted of giving out Halloween candy, FREE candy and not acorns but candy corn. Although he wished he had some acorns, about 3.5 million of them, Ha :)

October 21, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  4. Jesse from Berlin

Why can´t she act like a lady? instead of this pill popping "bitter" woman....

October 21, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  5. Sam the Butcher

Facts seem to have a liberal bias.
    If anything is untrue she has legal recourse. I'm guessing she won't pursue that.
    I make under $250,000. I'm for that one.
    The socialist I see in this election is the Gov. of Alaska that gets a disproportionate share of my taxes (I pay them unlike some wannabe plumber from Ohio) and still dips into the oil companies to resdistribute the wealth only for Alaskans.
    I see the current president has guided us into have 9 financial institutions partly owned by Uncle Sam.
    No more years McSame and Disasta from Alaska.

October 21, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  6. Melanie

Is she back on Drugs? Or did she just conveniently forget how really vicious they were in 2000 when they lost to BUSH!!! What is different now – Oh that's right, Barack is a black man and
    We cannot allow him to win but it was ok for BUSH to slap him down and stump all over them..including their children..

October 21, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  7. barbara

Get over it!! If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck – it's a duck. Why is it OK for her husband and his sidekick to spew vicious attacks against Barack Obama.? Apparently being called a terrorist is acceptable to Cindy McCain.

October 21, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  8. texasvoter

UNBELIEVABLE!!! After all the hate and viciousnous directed at Obama, Cindy McCain makes these comments. Is she for real?

October 21, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  9. Doug R.

Cindy McCain is delusional. It is a fact that she has had issues with prescription drugs. The media has been giving her lying and cheating husband a free and easy ride. And it figures she would interview and whine about this with Fox Lies.

October 21, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  10. Lis

Cindy Mccain is the last one that has the right to speak about viciousness. Her hateful and inciting comments about Obama not voting to support her son sent chills into MY bones. Her hatred scared me.

October 21, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  11. I can see Russia

How sad her Blackberry was filled this morning. Such viciousness could lead to drug abuse or having all your American companies jobs shifted overseas.

BOTH McCains make me sick!

October 21, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  12. White Christian Mother for Obama

As for the Palin that closed its comments... she is only ALIENATING 95%-98% of the of the population... because the other percent is the only percent making over $250,000 a year LOL.

Good Job Palin... Keep it up!! Your helping us WIN!!!

Obama/Biden... And I casted my vote YESTERDAY!!!

October 21, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  13. Andy J, NY

I can't wait until the election is over.

The constant double standard imposed by the media is absolutely disgusting.

As someone who has no vested interest in Obama or McCain (i'm voting for Bob Barr, Libertarian candidate- i love the constitution!!!!), there is an obvious bias towards favoring Obama by a majority of media outlets.

p.s.- OBAMA AND MCCAIN ARE SCHMUCKS!!!!!

October 21, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  14. Josh

Isn't it ironic that she is calling foul and on Fox news? Wasn't it fox news that called Obama's wife his "baby momma"? Wasn't it John McCain who said more than once they he turned the campaign negative because Obama refused to do town hall meetings? Wasn't it McCain and PAlin who said Obama was palling around with terrorists? Well it turns out John is married to a drug addict and a thief.

October 21, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  15. Jerry in Boston

Awwwww Diddums.

So let me get this straight. Your husbands entire campaign is based on spreading muck about the Obamas, but you're upset that the media is also reporting the skeletons in YOUR closet?

Cry me a river Cindy. I know you've probably got your own way your entire spoiled life, but not this time. Deal with it.

October 21, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  16. Edith

I just read the articls that was mentioned above. A "Diana" she is not and will never be! While McCain talks about the scars he bears I hope he also remembers the emotional scare the real Mrs. McCain must carry daily. Though the real Mrs. McCain has moved on and seems to support her ex-husband it goes to show that John McCain has always though of himself first and others...including the COUNTRY second to his needs and desires. Cindy....when counting your houses don't count the White house just yet sweetie!

October 21, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  17. Flo

One thing for the New York Times to be liberal but to print such an article about Cindy McCain is downright inappropriate and vicious. Any good newspaper is suppose to report the news but he NYT is trying so hard to campaign on behalf of Obama. This may be fredom of the press but it certainly is disgusting. If the NYT wants to delve into trash then why aren't Barack and Micelle Obama's background reported. There is certainly a better story to relate and certainly much factual material that can be substantiated and has a direct impact on this Presidential campaign. Fortunately the NYT is noted for its bias and is a disgrace to the many journalist who try to report the news without a preconceived agenda.

October 21, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  18. Brandon

I'm a total Obamite, and would never vote for McCain. However, I think it's pretty petty to be going after McCain's wife. Even though she, in a sense, entered the fray with some of her comments, that story was just uncalled for.

October 21, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  19. Sara Mae

Well Cindy you had no problem with bring it on Obama.

October 21, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  20. KJ

Michelle Obama has nothing to hide. And she brought up Obama's past drug use? Give me a break.. This is stuff he's come clean about. The GOP is running the sleaziest campaign in history!

October 21, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. Proud American

Boohoo. Whats the matter McCains? You guys are good at dishing it out but when its done to you surprisingly you dont like it?!

October 21, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  22. Heather in SoCal

Her husband and vapid running mate are responsible for the tone of this campaign. Who cares what she thinks? As Stephen Colbert said regarding her "cold chill" comments, it has to be pretty darn cold to chill Cindy McCain - eskimos have 150 words for her.

October 21, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  23. T in Kzoo

Stealing and being addicted to prescription drugs is hardly comparable to trying pot once when you were a kid.

And why did they bring Michelle into this? She hasn't done anything wrong.

October 21, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  24. Edward

It's the McCain's who have run the dirtiest campaign in political history. She needs to look into her own backyard.

October 21, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  25. Cathy

Vicious? Vicious? How about names like "Terrorist"? How about " Socialist"? How about stirring up the "fringe" element in this country with these kinds of monikers?

And, listen, if bailing out the banks as President Bush is doing and Senator McCain is backing (as well as Senator Obama) ISN'T socialist, then I guess I don't know what socialism is.

How about you, Yosemite Sam and Annie Oakley going back to where your sensibilities aren't damanged – HOME!

I wish I had your Blackberry address to tell you this, Blondie: You strike me as an aging Paris Hilton. Take a "happy pill", don't snap any of your brittle bones, and DON'T call me in the morning.

October 21, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |