October 21st, 2008

Clinton backers by her side, Palin makes pitch to women voters

Gov. Palin appealed to women voters in Nevada Tuesday.

Gov. Palin appealed to women voters in Nevada Tuesday.

HENDERSON, Nevada (CNN) - Flanked by a quintet of former Hillary Clinton supporters, Sarah Palin on Tuesday made her most direct appeal to female voters since kicking off her vice presidential campaign in August.

With polls showing Palin's unfavorable ratings among women rising over the last month, the Alaska governor looked to tap into any lingering tensions left over from the drawn-out Democratic primary battle - a fight that left many Clinton supporters disappointed.

"Our opponents think that they have the women's vote all locked up, which is a little presumptuous," Palin said. "Little presumptuous, since only our side has a woman on the ticket."

"You've got to ask yourself, why was Senator Hillary Clinton not even vetted by the Obama campaign? Why did it take 24 years, an entire generation from the time Geraldine Ferraro made her pioneering bid, until the next time that a woman was asked to join a national ticket?"

Palin spoke glowingly of Clinton in the early days of her campaign, but mentions of the New York senator elicited boos from her heavily-Republican crowds. She soon dropped the references from her stump speech.

On Tuesday, the Republican vice presidential nominee continued to attack Obama's tax plan, arguing that his plan to raise takes on wealthier Americans will stifle the earning power of working women.

"Women want the same opportunities as men," she said. "And they're entitled to the same rewards. See, the point here, the point here is that women would suffer just as much from the massive tax increase that Senator Obama proposes."

Palin knocked Obama for supporting equal pay on the campaign trail while paying his female senate staffers, on average, lower salaries than the men in his office. Female staffers in Obama's Senate office earn 83 cents to every dollar earned by male staffers, while McCain's female Senate staffers, on average, earn more.

"Does he think that the women aren't working as hard?," Palin asked. "Does he think that they are 17 percent less productive?"

The statistics cited by Palin, however, do not account for the fact that McCain's office currently has more women in higher-paying senior positions than does Obama's office, thereby driving up the average female salary among McCain staffers. The Obama team has said the situation is a different on the Democrat's presidential campaign, where many of his top advisors are women.

The governor was joined onstage by former Clinton supporters Lynn Forester de Rothschild, Prameela Bartholomeusz, Linda Klinge, Shelly Mandel and Elaine Lafferty, all of whom applauded as Palin criticized Obama.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Nevada • Sarah Palin
  1. Pam

She could only come up with 5 Hillary supporters to stand there with her?

October 21, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  2. Matt

This is a ridiculous argument (not surprising) because Palin doesnt believe in women's right and is against equal for equal pay, against a womans right to choose. Any major women's issue she is on the opposite side and she wants to attract women with this line: "Our opponents think that they have the women's vote all locked up, which is a little presumptuous," Palin said. "Little presumptuous, since only our side has a woman on the ticket…"

I mean come on, this woman is an idiot and sadly people take her seriously, what has this country come to? But then again im from a large city so im not a "real" american

October 21, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  3. Tim

This woman is white trash. First she lies by saying that Obama "thinks he's got the woman vote" all locked up. Not to mention that she even thinks there is this "woman vote" to begin with which implies that all women vote and think alike. Then she lies about the statistics despite John McCain VOTING, specifically saying NO, to equal pay for equal work. What clueless ditz.

October 21, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  4. stacy

I voted early today for John McCain, I took Hillary and Joe Biden's advice in that I do not want junior senator as president needing OJT
    training and I am too old to go through another world war with certain
    other countries hovering over us like vultures. The way to China
    is paved with Democrats in congress spending borrowed big money.

October 21, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  5. Lorenzo

Please Fallin Palin................................................

October 21, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  6. tina

I have never understood these embittered Clinton supporters. It seems policy and position have little to do with it. They just want ovaries in the administration.

I wasn't a major Obama supporter, and I'm still not. If John McCain had been the McCain of 2000, I might have switched to him. But, he changed radically, and I don't think much of his running mate. Just because I'm a woman, I'm not going to vote for the ticket with a woman on it. It is ludicrous to think I would.

If a woman in the administration is all they want, I'm half inclined to say they should get their wish and suffer with it. Except that I'd have to suffer as well.

Seriously, the whole cutting-off-your-nose-just-to-spite-your-face thing... It's absurd. It's unfathomable. It's unconscionable.

October 21, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  7. linda from South Dakota

just a few words to sarah,, you are no way qualified to govern people so what makes you think you could VP? you are as bad as mccain in lies and the way you turn things around, theres no way anyone in their right mind would vote for you,, you say you lowered taxes in alaska,, but did you also tell them yu raised in in other areas there? no,, because you dont want people to REALLY know what you are about,,,, move back to alsaka sarah,, where you belong,, you and mccain are a disgrace to americans

October 21, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  8. Jesus Praising, Freedom Loving American Patriot

IF PALIN IS SO QUALIFIED...
    Then why didn't she run for president?

Makes you wonder what the Republican Primary would have looked like? ...

"I've been Governer for TWO WHOLE MONTHS and I'm READY to be President"

18 Million people for Obama in the primaries because of his vision for America not his experience.

Palin got one vote and the only vision I know of from her is her view of Russia.

October 21, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  9. please

wow – she got all the former Clinton supports that don't support Obama on stage together – way to go

kinda funny she brought up vetting. If the repubs actually vetted people, she would still be in Alaska. (I think if she was properly vetted and still selected, that would be a scarier thing)

October 21, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  10. Sue

Yes we want a women to be President or VP but not this one.........the latest on Palin is using State money to take her kids on all kinds of trip for airfares and hotels to events that their children were not invited...........Palin was used and I think she is now starting to see it, but she still insights, anger, resentmen and speaks half truths on Obamas policies or just out right lies..........McCain could have picked any number of women that would have done him more justice......this woman has taken him down the wrong path

October 21, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  11. Lisa P

Perhaps it has been Palin's experience, based on self-observation, that women are deeply stupid. Me, I'm voting for the one who voted for fair anti-discrimination rules, reasonable rules that make equal pay enforceable under law and in court: That One!

October 21, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  12. vince

if this all the replicans have to offer their in deep trouble they think this is the future of there party.i whis this dumbo would chalange hilary to a debate on any issue that falin chooses to show all amaricans how pathatic this gov. is and throw in bey buchanon in the mix to

October 21, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  13. Christiane

I voted for Hillary Clinton, because I consider her to be the best candidate to be U.S. President, not because she is a woman. So why would I want to vote for Gov. Palin??

October 21, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  14. Lisa in Wasilla AK

We are supposed to believe that these women are true Hillary supporters?? Please, I for one, am not that stupid. No true Hillary supporter, or Democrat could ever support this woman and her rhetoric.

October 21, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  15. KLEE

Now what are we talking about? Economy? (didn't think so) – another step back for the McCain/Palin ticket?? maybe. OBAMA/BIDEN 2008! VOTE.

October 21, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  16. soo dumb

she doesn't release med. records because downsid. kid is hers and not her daughters

October 21, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  17. Independent

Every time Palin references Hillary I want to throw-up. Palin is in no way, shape or form a Hillary Clinton... not by any measure (except gender).

I've already cast my early vote for O'Biden 08!!!!

October 21, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  18. Another Republican for Obama

Why wasn't Hillary vetted? Not of your business! You will soon lose the few women's vote you're barely cling to.

October 21, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  19. TjayeInLA

Well, this is one woman who has no respect for Sarah Palin. She has no scruples and as a Christian, I take offense to anyone who uses God as an excuse to lie, cheat and mislead just to win and try to control others against their will.

Besides, every time I hear her and McCain speak, all I can think is...,b>"Isn't this how Hitler got started?".

October 21, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  20. Candace

What an idiotic statement to make. She's just pulling at straws. She fits the McCain campaign very much so.

Obama '08

October 21, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  21. ....

She was NEVER a Hilary Clinton.
    NEVER will be.
    Not even CLOSE.
    I'm sure she WISHES.

October 21, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  22. CWW, Arizona

Former Clinton backers that are backing Palin want a woman to be Pres/VP no matter how unqualified they may be and whatever their views. SNL said it best, Palin and Clinton don't agree on anything...... I wish someone would ask these people why they support Sarah Palin, it would be interesting

October 21, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  23. MarylouSC

Any woman that supported Hilliary and now supports Palin is not a REAL woman! (sorry republicans, stole your line)

October 21, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  24. Bruce

So, Palin found the 5 former Hillary supporting women willing to support her . . . I'm surprised she found that many . . .

October 21, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  25. CAW in MD

Seriously? Sarah Palin asking for Hillary Clinton voters?

I have no words. The sheer scale of the gall and cynicism of SARAH FREAKIN' PALIN asking for Hillary Clinton voters just boggles the mind.

Wow.