October 21st, 2008

CNN Poll of Polls: Obama leads by nine points

The two presidential rivals shook hands after their last debate as their wives looked on.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama has his largest lead so far over rival Sen. John McCain, according to CNN’s latest national poll of polls.

Obama leads McCain by nine points in the poll of polls released Tuesday – 51 percent to 42 percent. Seven percent of those surveyed are unsure about their choice for president.

In Monday’s CNN’s poll of polls, Obama’s lead over McCain was seven points – 51 percent to 44 percent.

“Today’s Poll of Polls average reflects the fact that Obama has moved into a commanding position in the presidential race,” said CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib. “Obama is either tied or ahead in all of the battleground states. The Democrats now have what may be a decisive edge in terms of voter enthusiasm and financial resources. The financial meltdown has played to Obama’s advantage. By most measurements, McCain was not able to use the debates to gain ground on Obama. And most of the campaign is now being waged in previously red states. While anything can happen in the remaining two weeks, it’s hard not to conclude that McCain’s back is against the wall.”

Tuesday’s CNN poll of polls is composed of the following six national general election surveys of likely voters: Pew (October 16-19), CNN/ORC (October 17-19), ABC/Washington Post (October 16-19), Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby (October 18-20), Gallup (October 18-20) and Diageo/Hotline (October 18-20). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

1. Rob

Poll of Polls picks the Dork of Dorks – can't say I'm surprised.

October 21, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  2. Latina for Obama (nj)

yessssss!!!!!!

I VOTED FOR THAT ONE!!!

October 21, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  3. A Republican from Texas for Obama

Obama all the way to the White House. I am so happy to be a part of this election. I already voted and I want to tell you that the line was so long and everyone I talked to in line was voting for Obama!!

Obama/Biden '08

October 21, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  4. "Georgia Peaches" For OBAMA

Go OBAMA

OBAMA 08' 12

October 21, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  5. obamacrat

Joe the Plumber?

October 21, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  6. Vegas Barbie for Obama

YES WE CAN, YES WE CAN, YES WE CAN!!!!

7. Fred

gREAT TO SEE jACK BACK.

8. tennisguypitt

National polls mean nothing, the state polls are what matters. GET OUT AND VOTE FELLOW OBAMA SUPPORTERS!

9. Phil

These polls don't matter. EVERYONE GET OUT AND VOTE NOW!! Don't let anyone stop you from voting. If Obama doesn't win by at least 10 pts there will be an easy attempt for the RNC to steal the election like they did in 2000. VOTE, VOTE, VOTE BECAUSE EVERY VOTE COUNTS!!!

10. rob

of course he is–hes smart–presidential–commanding–has the answers–has knowledgeable people on his team and he's inclusive..thats what we Need right now....the complete opposite of the scary ticket

11. Baze

What does McCain expect? He's resorted to such a divisive muck dwelling campaign that he's lost the faith and regard of the people.

ONE NATION

12. Brian Rich

McCain thinks they are going to win PA to win the election. Sorry, not gonna happen.

This will be a landslide of epic proportions. Obama people – GO VOTE! We can vote early in most states, or at least request absentee ballots to mail in at our leisure – so VOTE!!!

13. LIP

wow...CNN actually posted one of my comments and didn't censor it...lets go for two.
    Why as it that all the other polls show Obama up by only 4%, but the CNN poll of polls shows so much more...trying to bait people into thinking Obama is way ahead , kind of like exit polls and trying to make people think they just may as well vote for the obvious winner?
    For shame

14. Vkram

OBAMA ,President of United states of America...

hahahhahahhahha

OBAMA '08

15. HOLDING MY BREATH

IF THIS DUDE TURNS OUT TOBE THE FLIP SIDE OF GEORGE BUSH I WILL CURSE ALL YOU LIBERALS AND DIVE OUT OF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY BECAUSE YOU AND THE BIAS'D PRESS PUSHED THIS FEEL GOOD LOSER ON MY COUNTRY. I would have been quite happy as a white male, vet, upper middle income voter with Hillary. Therefore, Barack if you get in like McCain I will hold my breath for 4yrs and go from there.

2012 ;-) Hillary

16. Sue

. . . vote.

17. Chelle in Fla

14 Days to Go! But who's counting...OBAMA 08!

18. Shari, NY

Although the Republican jalopy is out of gas and the wheels are falling off, we must not be complacent. Onward and upward, Democrats!

October 21, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  19. Serious Voter

I can't take it anymore! I sent in my absentee application yesterday and will vote for Obama as soon as I get it. This election is too important to wait until Nov 4th. That's an eternity and just in case, I'm getting my vote in. I suggest you all who can vote early to do so immediately.

October 21, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  20. Bitter in Texas

There is only one Poll I'm worried about and that's the final one taken on Nov 4th. Got my ballot in hand and I'm casting it early for "That One"...Ya'all get out there and vote...Vote early! We don't want the Rethuglicans to steal this one from us!

October 21, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  21. Shari, NY

McCain looking for a way to win without Colorado – so says a CNN report. They will need a GPS gadget with zoom lens plus night vision goggles to find this.

October 21, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  22. MsAnnette, Little Rock, AR

We have too much as stake for the repuhlicans to contiue to play these stupid, racist games. Americans are concerned and tired...too tired of Palin and her nonsense and of McCain and his BAD ideas and judgement. Enough talk of Joe the plumber, joe six pack, pro-American areas and all the rest of that garbage.

We need positive change, not just for us, but for the future of our children and the future of our country.

Obama/Biden
    The smart choice

October 21, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  23. sandee in Portland

Well, I voted yesterday for Obama. I hope this poll holds up. As a 66 year old white republican woman, this was the first year I've ever donated to a campaign and felt so strongly about a candidate since JFK. Hopefuly, the dumb one (Palin) will now go back to Alaska to get impeached for her abuse of power and McCain will take his abrasive wife and go hide out in one of his many houses.

Obama/Biden 08

October 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  24. tired of delusional blind sheep

so.. mccain is now losing support not gaining.. i am still shocked that he has as much support as he does.. truly shows what a divided country we have. but of course with the divisiveness coming out of the republican party, i am not suprised we dont have a violent civil war going on.....

i will be voting early for barak obama ..

florida will be blue this year \:D/

October 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  25. Ryan Cincinnati

2 More Weeks!!!!!!!!! It can not come soon enough!

OBAMA/BIDEN