October 21st, 2008

CNN Poll of Polls: Obama leads by nine points

The two presidential rivals shook hands after their last debate as their wives looked on.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama has his largest lead so far over rival Sen. John McCain, according to CNN’s latest national poll of polls.

Obama leads McCain by nine points in the poll of polls released Tuesday – 51 percent to 42 percent. Seven percent of those surveyed are unsure about their choice for president.

In Monday’s CNN’s poll of polls, Obama’s lead over McCain was seven points – 51 percent to 44 percent.

“Today’s Poll of Polls average reflects the fact that Obama has moved into a commanding position in the presidential race,” said CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib. “Obama is either tied or ahead in all of the battleground states. The Democrats now have what may be a decisive edge in terms of voter enthusiasm and financial resources. The financial meltdown has played to Obama’s advantage. By most measurements, McCain was not able to use the debates to gain ground on Obama. And most of the campaign is now being waged in previously red states. While anything can happen in the remaining two weeks, it’s hard not to conclude that McCain’s back is against the wall.”

Tuesday’s CNN poll of polls is composed of the following six national general election surveys of likely voters: Pew (October 16-19), CNN/ORC (October 17-19), ABC/Washington Post (October 16-19), Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby (October 18-20), Gallup (October 18-20) and Diageo/Hotline (October 18-20). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

1. Red, Red WHINE!!

When you try to screw over 95% of the country so you can give the top 5% huge tax breaks, the polls tend to show there are more smart people then there are racists!

On that note, I'm white, a Navy veteran and a republican, and I'm a bigot. I can't stand stupid people, so I'm going to vote for Obama!

October 21, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  2. Foxhole Atheist

Oh, yeah? Well I heard that Obama holds secrect meetings with Hugo, Mahmood, Kim and Fidel where they invoke the ghost of Atilla the Hun and dance around while lathering themselves in Vegomite and shooting up heroin.

Oh, and he collects puppy heads, too.

.... did I mention he was responsible for the Hindenburg?

October 21, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  3. Michael

The only poll that matters is on November 4th. Doesn't matter who you support, go vote!

October 21, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  4. Kevin in Denver

Rob-
    You are obviously a super dork

October 21, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  5. kevin

Anyone else hear that faint rumble? Sounds like an approaching landslide!

October 21, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  6. Justin in Atanta

CNN is doing their best to make sure Obama's stays in the forefront. As an African-American I couldn't be more sick of Barack Obama. I'm voting for John McCain tomorrow!

McCain/Palin 08!

October 21, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  7. Kim, Charlotte, NC

Yeah! I am so glad I voted on Monday for Obama.

8. sabuc for Obama

Polls don't mean anything unless you get out there and vote!!

9. Bruce

only poll that matters is on 11/4
    Everyone get out and vote, this is too important an election to stay home.

10. Steph in Vegas

Hang in there Obama!

11. Democrat 4 Life

Polls mean nothing unless we vote. Let's all vote. Take the day off if you have to. We can afford to lose one pay day more than 4 more years of Bush.

12. Bill

ROB sounds like a very smart guy.

(HEAVY sarcasm)

13. President Barack Obama

Vote Obama/Biden .....The Only WISE CHOICE IN THIS ELECTION!!
    You Wont Be Dissapointed!!!!!

Vote Obama/Biden .....The Only WISE CHOICE IN THIS ELECTION!!
    You Wont Be Dissapointed!!!!!

Vote Obama/Biden .....The Only WISE CHOICE IN THIS ELECTION!!
    You Wont Be Dissapointed!!!!!

Vote Obama/Biden .....The Only WISE CHOICE IN THIS ELECTION!!
    You Wont Be Dissapointed!!!!!

14. Adam Jama

Well done Obama. We need a change and I hope anyone that cares about the future of their children and their country must vote for Obama because we honestly don't need another Bush administration with this bad economic. Let us put to rest for the color of his skin and give him a chance because for heaven sack the guy is smart and he is capable of leading our country into the right direction after 8 years of bad administration.

15. Murry

Yeah! This is so great!
    Obama/Biden '08

16. Judy from PA

Great, maybe Obama will win and put Colin Powell on his staff as promised. We need to go to another useless war.

17. Obama/Biden 08!

I just checked gallup's numbers and Obama 52% and Mccain 42% I think that gap is widening in Obama's favor!

Remember to Vote and we'll keep that way!!

18. SpeciousRiches

I think the robocall bounce was short-lived. Hopefully people are able to see through them. It's telling that McCain has to resort to robocalling while Obama has thousand of volunteers making calls AT rallies.

SpeciousRiches

19. Medical Student in Dallas

These polls change everyday. GO VOTE PEOPLE.

I wish Texas would turn blue, but one can dream. However, I do think Texas will be A LOT closer than it normally is. I wish Obama would have held some rallies here, cuz I think that he could've flipped Bush country (gag!)

The world is watching...

20. gobsmacked

21. Stupid is as stupid does

ROB THAT IS SO TRUE. THE POLLS PICK SOME OF THE DUMBEST PEOPLE. THAT'S THE REASON THE POLLS SHOWED PEOPLE FAVORED SARAH WHEN SHE WAS SELECTED AS VP RUNNING MATE. TURNS OUT SHE WAS THE BIGGEST DORK OF THEM ALL.

October 21, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  22. Texas for Obama

I just voted early!

I think I picked a winner!

Obama / Biden 08!

October 21, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  23. Michelle, PA

Good news. But it's not over yet – keep up the good work and don't forget to VOTE.

October 21, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  24. Chi4Obama

People,
    Don't pay attention to polls. Just get out and VOTE!
    Let's send Grandpy Mcsane, and his power hungry Moose packing after Nov. 4th.

BTW, I think Sarah Palin can forget about EVER running for any sort of political office on the National level.

October 21, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |