October 21st, 2008

Palin apologizes for patriot 'pro-America areas' comment

Palin apologized Tuesday for making the 'pro-America areas' comment.

Palin apologized Tuesday for making the 'pro-America areas' comment.

(CNN) - Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin apologized Tuesday for any misunderstanding that resulted when she referred last week to the patriotic values of "the real America" and the "pro-America areas of this great nation."

Democrats and others immediately criticized Palin, alleging she was saying that some part of the country are more patriotic than others.

Palin denied that was her intention in an interview with CNN on Tuesday.

"I don't want that misunderstood," Palin said. "If that's the way it came across, I apologize."

Speaking at a fund-raiser in North Carolina, the Alaska governor said: "We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard-working, very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation."

Watch: Palin explains what she'd do as VP

Palin also said Tuesday that Sen. Joe Biden's comment that as president, Sen. Barack Obama would face an international crisis within six months of taking office points to the dangers of electing a relatively inexperienced person.

"We need to thank Joe for the warning," Palin told CNN's Drew Griffin.

She made similar comments earlier Tuesday at a rally in Reno, Nevada.

At a fundraiser Sunday night, Biden, the Democratic vice presidential nominee, said that after taking office, "it will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. ... We're going to have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy."

His point, according to an Obama-Biden statement issued later, was that "we need steady leadership in tumultuous times, not ... the stubborn ideology of John McCain."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Obama/Biden 08!

TAINOPOWER: Go vote early for Mccain and shut the hell up so we don't have to hear you whine anymore! FYI Hillary Rodham Clinton will be 65 years old in 2012 slim chance of her running at that time. Feel free to throw your vote away it's your right to do so, but STOP whinning about it!

October 21, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  2. Katharine Thomas

Sigh, big sigh. Governor Palin is quite confusing; bashing Washington every day on her great drive to go live there as fast as she can. Go figure!

3. No Hillary = No Obama

Have we heard Mr. Perfect apologize for much of anything? Admit he's wrong? Demonstrate anything less than a grandoise mind set? You go girl!

4. Liz from Utah

Palin,
    You are an insult to every woman intellect! I would say to every human intellect. I am sick of watching McCain/Palin campaign. It really make me sick!! Yeah...go back to Alaska where we can't hear from you ever again.

5. Jim Daniels

No wonder CNN is losing to Foxnews. To make fun of Sarah Palin and act like she is an idiot when Biden puts his foot in his mouth every time he opens it.

6. Mike

Lady, YOU ARE BEYOND STUPID!!!

I cannot believe people are voting for McCain with Palin on the ticket!!

A VOTE for McCAIN is a VOTE of Confidence in PALIN!!!

7. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Too late you low life. You've spouted nothing but hate and divisiveness. Go back to Alaska and belly up to your AIP-loving husband.

We don't want you here – especially in NC.

8. Lucy

Wish I could believe you, Failin. At this point I think you are worried about damage control to your own career. You should be. You have done everything that you were told to do, and they played your song, illegally, "Isn't she lovely?". Gotta be lovely inside and out, my pretty. You have done so much damage to your own reputation, not Obama's, don't you feel even a little remorse for lying and representing yourself as a Christian and not acting like one? That, is the only thing about you that I find dispicable. Otherwise, you are smart, charming, complacent, all the things that count in a "man's" world. In my world, you lose, McMooseBushMeatKiller. Go home, don't you have a mammal to shoot?

9. Tim

And if McCain wins and dies within 3 months and we had to face that 6 month crisis with Palin? Who are we kidding here. She brings absolutely nothing to th table. Hey...maybe she could be president of Alaska

10. jwn in south carolina

Such a duffus!

11. Nancy, CA

Sarah Palin speaking about someone's supposed lack of experience is a laugh a minute when the only foreign policy experience she has is looking out her front door to see Russia!!!

12. Antonio in Los Angeles

I am a democrate in a big City and sincerely accept this appology.

13. O & Joe '08!!!

Palin doesn't need to blink. McCain blinks enough for both of them.

14. tired, tired, tired

I will be glad when Obama wins and Palin and McCain can back to the whole that they crawled out from!!!

15. tothestars2

Oh, this is rich! The other vp nominee has "never" said anything to apologize for. Where would I begin?lmao!

October 21, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  16. Hope for the future

Mrs Palin, there are many thinks for which you have to apologize. But because of your nasty demeanor, I don't believe that this apology or any other apology is sincere. The only one you care about is yourself. Should your name ever show up on any other federal ballot, I promise you a "No" vote on each and every one of them.
    The country deserves better than you and McCain.

Obama/Biden 08

October 21, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  17. cthornell

These comments shows where her campaign is headed
    straight to the trash can

October 21, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  18. karen Raleigh

It makes you wonder how this woman got where she is without much of a resume ??????

October 21, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  19. Jen

IF she becomes Vice President and meets with leaders from other countries she won't be able to backtrack and clarify her statements. The will be totally insulted and the USA will look even worse in their eyes.

I've lived in big cities and small rural towns.... I must be
    1/2 Pro-American.

October 21, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  20. Karen

TAINOPOWER are you KIDDING ME?????????????

I am a Hillary supporter but NOTHING could convince me to vote for Palin. NOTHING. You should re-think what four years of that pair in the White House will do to further destroy this country.

October 21, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  21. Republican for Obama

She was reading off a prepared script, which means it was not done accidently. I don't see any difference in this and the bitter comment from Obama. He was called on it and when he tried to explain, the only response form people was "that's what he said". So in all fairness, "that's what she said". I'm voting with Colin Powell for Obama for President.

October 21, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  22. Chanda - Cincinnati

No, it was not misunderstood. We knew EXACTLY what you meant!!

October 21, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  23. FL Rep for Obama

Happy to report that I just came home from early voting in my state – FLORIDA – and voted for "THAT ONE"! The voters in front and behind me were all voting for Obama – they made that perfectly clear – that's it time for change...and one of the major reasons they were RUNNING AWAY from the Repubs was this woman. The wilderness is calling you back, Sarah....

October 21, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  24. Noe

I am sick and tired of Sarah Palin initiating hate and biggot around the country and the apologized. Note that once you've said it enbeded in some white radicals. then they will say oh we stop the reteric on our campaign speeches. Once you create a monster it is hard to stop it.

October 21, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  25. vahe

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i will buy that from you Palin

October 21, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |