October 21st, 2008

Rendell 'still a little nervous' about Penn., asks Obama to return

Rendell wants Obama to come back to Pennsylvania.
Rendell wants Obama to come back to Pennsylvania.

(CNN) - Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell has sent two separate memos to the Obama campaign in the past five days requesting that the Democratic Presidential candidate—as well as Hillary and Bill Clinton—return to campaign in Pennsylvania, Rendell told CNN's Gloria Borger.

Rendell said the McCain campaign is clearly making a push to win Pennsylvania, given the recent visits by the Arizona senator, his wife and his running mate. As a result, he wants Obama to appear in western Pennsylvania, Harrisburg and one more “large rally” in Philadelphia. Democrats generally worry that the race is significantly closer than what recent polls have suggested. According to Rendell, there is also worry among Democrats the McCain campaign has successfully raised the enthusiasm level among Republicans in the state.

“I don’t want to be selfish,” Rendell said. “But I’m still a little nervous, so I have asked Obama to come back. We understand he’s got demands from 20 different states, but we’d like to see him here.”

Obama's support appears to be weakest in the western part of the state, a region Pennsylvania Rep. Jack Murtha recently called 'racist,' and one where he badly lost to Sen. Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary.

Obama last campaigned in Pennsylvania on October 11, a week and a half ago. VP candidate Joe Biden made an appearance with Bill and Hillary Clinton in Scranton on October 12. McCain and running mate Sarah Palin have both made visits to the state this week.

The latest CNN poll of polls in Pennsylvania suggests Obama holds a 13 point lead over McCain there. CNN currently considers the state leaning Obama.

1. Mark, B'ham., Al.

When you have democrat leaders in the House like Murtha who do a John Kerrry and called Marines in battle murderers, and the population of western and rural Pennsylvania "Racist" and "Rednecks". Also people still remember Obama's bonehead comments to S. F. Liberal Elites about Pennsylvania rural citizens clinging to their guns and religion Gov. Rendell has a point!

October 21, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  2. Ron

Yes Obama. Go to PA and bring these people home. Bring them to the Real America, the Pro America that cares about the working people. The America that fights wars when we must not, for the profit of greedy Corporations. The America that rewards our war hero Veterans and does not call the GI Bill a waste of money. The America that is not racist and intolerant. The America that loves GOD but does not think we are Holier than thou. The America that does not think health coverage means going to the emergency room. The America that does not think that people who have lost their jobs in this economy are whiners. Obama. Go to PA. and bring these People home to a Democratic America.

October 21, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  3. Marie

I would hope he would be nervous, Obama and his surrogates are constantly calling small town Americans racist, if they don't agree with them. Way to encourage people to vote, first Clinton and all her supporters were racist, now all Republicans are. I guess we see what the future will hold with an Obama presidency!

October 21, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  4. Mel

MaryLou in SC.....I'm here in South Carolina too...and I'm voting for Barack Obama, along with the rest of my family. I wish that this Red state would turn blue too...maybe we'll get a surprise on election day!! The paper here today said to be prepared for long lines at the polls, and I hope that they're all turning out for Obama!!
    GO OBAMA/ BIDEN 2008

October 21, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  5. Rachel, CA

I saw the first Obama sign in my neighborhood today, and it made me smile. I was happy to see it, but unhappy that there aren't any more. I'm in Orange County, CA which is red, red, red. But I'm voting for Barack and I hope others will follow. I really take comfort in the fact that the state is BLUE.

So in November I hope this Red-Orange County will turn Obama Blue.

October 21, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  6. Rich

It's so pathetic that all Palin and McCain the rest of them can do is lie and smear.

October 21, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  7. Former Republican ~

You gotta go thru Pennsylvania to get to 1660 Pennsylvania Avenue. Vote Obama/Biden!!!

October 21, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  8. Just Over The Horizon

I feel as though we have 50 siblings fighting each other and on November 4th the parents will settle the argument. My vote will go to Obama and I couldn't be happier. The only thing is we'll have to work together after the votes are taken.

But honestly, if Dems could come together and accept GW, the GOP could do the same for Barack.

Obama/Biden 08

October 21, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  9. w.l. jones

Pennsylvanian has alway been intellectural in the forefront in chose what best for we the people for America first. Now they have the chance to show the rest of us who the canidate that set the stage for what we as a people want in a leader.They only come far in between and now we have a thoughtful person fit that distrition.

October 21, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  10. KLEE

Man this getting elected is a lot of work! I'm getting worn out sitting on the sidelines and convincing friends & relatives "GO OBAMA/BIDEN 2008" – I don't care for all the hateful lies that the GOP is spreading and no good can come from it. McCain only cooled it when the news media brought it too his attention – and he looked like a deer in headlights! like he didn't know this was going on? come on now....

October 21, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  11. Erika, KS

Hmm,..You notice that Obama's grandmother refers to him as "Barry?"
    Ever wonder about that? Ever wonder why he wrote a book about his father who had nothing to do with raising him? Sounds like Obama doesn't know where his allegiance is. Sounds like another notch in the belt of questionable decision this ego maniac has made. Wonder what and how many more questionable decisions he'd make as president. He is scary.

October 21, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  12. Steve in Merced

Ed,

Get out there on the stump yourself...make the case for Barack...it's your election too...you a a governor no how much damage has been done by the policies of the last 8 years!!!!

October 21, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  13. Wendy

Governor Rendell is a popular figure in PA and he should be spreading a positive message to the people of PA how their lives will get better with Senator Obama compared to Senator McCain. He should also remind the people that the problems that we are having in America today did not start 3 weeks ago but 8 years ago when George Bush became president. John McCain may not be George Bush but his ideologies are basically the same. And God forbid if anything happens to him and make him incapacitated at any point, Sarah Palin would be a danger to us all.

October 21, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  14. Larry Wilson

Oh, so NOW he wants him back?

October 21, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  15. Barbara Curry

Obama, please go back – please go back!!!!! We cannot leave nothing to the republicans. We won't have health insurance if they win.

Hillary & Bill – I love you both and thanks so much for sticking with us!!!

Please, please go back!!!

October 21, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  16. Daryl from Seattle

Oh relax Rendell! It's in the bag. Even racists have savings and retirement accounts. If it comes down to their money and race, something tells me they'll choose their money to determine their vote.

October 21, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  17. Amy, FL

John, like his wife, is a thief. He stole Barack's message and he stole Barack's colors. His McCain signs were dark, navy blue. Now all of a suddent they are lighter.

This man doesnt' have one creative original thought in his head. Bush tells him what to say and Barack tells him what to do.

Change, we've already had it because both Hillary and McCain have changed their politics to run against Barack Obama.

Buy up all the presidential paraphanalia because the first black president is about to change the history books.

Obama/Biden 08

October 21, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  18. Jeffrey

A little fear distinguishes complacency. Last thing Dems need is to feel we have this in the bag. Run through the finish line!

October 21, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  19. Jen, California

As a lifelong Democrat, I proudly marked and mailed my write-in ballot for MCCAIN/PALIN. If I want to spread my hard-earned wealth around, I'll do it on MY terms - NOT Obama's!

SHOVE IT, OBAMA/BIDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 21, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  20. Former Republican ~

Oops– a typo– that's 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

October 21, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  21. Griff

Your walking on Hot-Coals, Mr.... You'll be asked to resign next year...

October 21, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  22. MEP

Ed Rendell is famous for looking out for and taking care of the citizens of Pennsylvania– the Obama campaign would do well to take his advice.

October 21, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  23. My State Is Blue! Yours Can Be Too!

I don't live in PA. I used to. I live just over the line.
    I think PA is going Blue. I don't think he should stop there. I think he needs to stay in FL, VA, OH, MO and NV. He is leading by double digits in PA. I think to return again would be a time waster. Plus the Obama Camp in my state makes campaigns here and in PA daily.
    He shouldn't take anything for granted but there are more critical must win states besides PA.

October 21, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  24. Jim

I am a little perturbed to continuously hear you slam Pennsylvania as racist. My father used to say that everything south of the Canadian border is the deep south. His American experience was much different than mine.

I spent the better part of the 80's living and working in PA. I was a sales rep and called on small businesses all over the state. Are there rednecks in PA? As, perhaps, the only African American to sponsor two champions in the Lancaster County Tractor Pull I can say, without equivocation, that there are rednecks in PA. I am so close to some of em that my wife's relatives think I am a redneck. There are racist in PA too. I vividly recall the few encounters with public displays of racism that I encountered. My recollection is so vivid because on each occasion I received the overwhelming support of anyone else that was near by.

Will race prevent Obama from winning PA. – NO So please stop beating my brothers in PA up about being poor rednecks that are too dumb to know that They are broke and it might be time to give the other party a shot.

October 21, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  25. bill for barack

13 points isa definite lean alrighty.
    But the Republicans are notorious at trying to steal elections by taking away Americans' right to vote.

October 21, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |