October 21st, 2008

Rendell 'still a little nervous' about Penn., asks Obama to return

Rendell wants Obama to come back to Pennsylvania.
Rendell wants Obama to come back to Pennsylvania.

(CNN) - Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell has sent two separate memos to the Obama campaign in the past five days requesting that the Democratic Presidential candidate—as well as Hillary and Bill Clinton—return to campaign in Pennsylvania, Rendell told CNN's Gloria Borger.

Rendell said the McCain campaign is clearly making a push to win Pennsylvania, given the recent visits by the Arizona senator, his wife and his running mate. As a result, he wants Obama to appear in western Pennsylvania, Harrisburg and one more “large rally” in Philadelphia. Democrats generally worry that the race is significantly closer than what recent polls have suggested. According to Rendell, there is also worry among Democrats the McCain campaign has successfully raised the enthusiasm level among Republicans in the state.

“I don’t want to be selfish,” Rendell said. “But I’m still a little nervous, so I have asked Obama to come back. We understand he’s got demands from 20 different states, but we’d like to see him here.”

Obama's support appears to be weakest in the western part of the state, a region Pennsylvania Rep. Jack Murtha recently called 'racist,' and one where he badly lost to Sen. Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary.

Obama last campaigned in Pennsylvania on October 11, a week and a half ago. VP candidate Joe Biden made an appearance with Bill and Hillary Clinton in Scranton on October 12. McCain and running mate Sarah Palin have both made visits to the state this week.

The latest CNN poll of polls in Pennsylvania suggests Obama holds a 13 point lead over McCain there. CNN currently considers the state leaning Obama.

1. Proud Pennsylvanian

I've lived in Montgomery county for most of my life, and I'm not ready to declare it for Obama. Even though I live in a very liberal leaning community, the state is not all like that. In the last two elections, the state ultimately went to the Democrat, but they were both nail biters! I hope that get out the vote campaigns in often overlooked areas like Chester will boost voter turn out and help Obama.

And to all you "undecided" voters out there–how on God's green earth have you not decided yet??!!!! I'm sick of hearing about ambivalent social conservatives or angry libertarians or Wal Mart moms or any other other string of nouns and adjectives that we call a voting block. Hurry up and decide so we can stop talking about you!

Regardless, Obama has my vote in Pennsylvania : )

October 21, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  2. JT from TN

With Obama, mitchelle, Joe and his wife, Bill and Hillary they can sweep the nation to stump for more votes while the MCcain/Palin are pointing fingers, mocking Obama, and staying on the same attack mode they been in for months.

October 21, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  3. gEnie

We should learn from Bush for 8 years, we deserve to have the decent,Inteligent and honest leadership and show the whole world were still the best country on Earth. Obama/Biden the leaders we need.................

October 21, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  4. Thomas

Rendell,
    Call Clinton, Bill or Hill ! Or Call Joe B.
    Obama needs two days .
    do it!

October 21, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  5. FL Rep for Obama

According to McCain, he needs to go back to PA just to cheer on the Phillies since yesterday he cheered for the Rays. LIES! I was there...he didn't support either team...but BOTH! I'd like to see Obama return to PA, OH, NC, FL, CO and NV. First, he must take care of his grandmother. Then, his managers will take care of his travel schedule. Our job...VOTE...which I did today in FL for OBAMA!

October 21, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  6. vanessa

OBAMA WILL WIN PA AND HE WILL WIN NOV. 4. PAILIN HAS THE NERVE TO CALL OBAMA A SOCIALIST WHEN SHE HAS CHARGED ALASKA ALMOST 30,000 DOLLARS OF TRAVEL EXPENSES FOR HER KIDS SAYING THE KIDS WERE ON "OFFICIAL BUISNESS"! MCCAIN IS A HOT TEMPERED LOON AND PAILIN IS AN IDIOT!

OBAMA/BIDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 21, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  7. Linda K.

"Excuse Me"–I'm sorry, but it's hard to be specific because there are so many lies. I'm sure you've heard all the McCain/Palin attacks. Obama is not a socialist. He won't raise your taxes. He doesn't have ties to terrorists.

It's hard for me to remember all the lies they've told. Maybe someone can help me out. Basically, every time Palin opens her mouth, she lies. Just last week didn't she say that she'd been cleared of abuse charges in Alaska? Another lie.

October 21, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  8. Sandy

Obama will return...family first and I respect Obama for that.

October 21, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  9. Devon Spencer

Pennsylvania is going to Obama, nothing to be nervous about.

October 21, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  10. Paige

Barack's campaign leaked that he's only two points ahead in PA. Given John Murtha's comments, I don't think Obama can count on western PA. It's too bad the Dems are trying to use "white guilt" to win votes for Obama. That usually has the reverse effect.

October 21, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  11. Sam

Although Rendell has good intentions, I think that the reason he is nervous is because he attended too many Clinton rallies in the primary season. He'll be just fine there.

October 21, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  12. J.D.

I BEG the people of Pennsylvania to not vote for McCain and Palin. Please vote for Obama. I don't live in a swing state. My vote will not determined the future course of this great nation. Yours will. For the sake of my two children and all of us, please please steer us toward a future.

October 21, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  13. Matt

Rendell is still upset just because hillary didn't win. It so obvious Obama is going to win PA. Stop worrying Rendell.

Spell it out with me everyone.....L-A-N-D-S-L-I-D-E

Obama
    Biden
    2008/12

October 21, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  14. Janice

Hillary wasn't good enough for the VP job but I bet if you ask her to go there she would. They were good to her there and pretty smart people.

October 21, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  15. MARIA MORREO

EDDIE,YOU SHOULD WORRY- PERHAPS YOU CAN CONVENCE OBAMA TO SHOW US HIS BIRTH CERTIFICTAE!!!!!!!!!!! YOU HAVE A LOT TO WORRY ABOUT HIS CITIZENSHIP CREDENTIALS.PLESE TELL THE TRUTH

October 21, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  16. Christopher W. Mannoia

Gov:

I am a trucker, and cover every inch of your great state each month; Barack and the awesome people of PA are going to make HISTORY in two-weeks!

Thanks for the heads-up though!

Obama/Biden 08'

October 21, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  17. Nina Deponca

Obama backs equal pay for equal work .... McCain fought against this legislation.

Do you think women are stupid?

This is an issue that ALL working women ( democrat, independent or republican) understand and virtually NONE of them will be on your team's side .... Mrs. Palin.

I won't even go into the other anti-women tones that have come out of the McCain campaign (adultry, the biker rally, the rape kits, the rape comment out of Texas, etc. etc.)

One Car
    One House
    One Spouse

Ladies vote for ... you know ... THAT ONE!

October 21, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  18. No McCain/No Palin

Keith Olberman was just talking about Republicans involved in voter fraud in the west coast. Who is YPM???? These are campaign advisors from CA and AZ.

CNN, why is this not being investigated??? You are being very biased towards the repubs. I have quit watching your channel. Are you guys going to look into these issues and report on it...

October 21, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  19. bn

In the words of new orleans mayors Nagin lets turn america into chocolate country. sisters and brothas vote for the man Obama

October 21, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  20. tuff Col. Oh

i have never seen so much hatred outside of the civil rights era, i hate to think what will happen if obama is elected,. will it be a civil war because a black man wants justice for all, and i was a child then, i'm 51 now, it's is a sad day, and i blame mccain and his running mate, they have lost alot of people's respect, they are divisive

October 21, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  21. Pennsylvania

Campbell Brown dismissed Roland Martin questioned concerning the Senator that made the remark that there are area's in PA that are REDNECK in the T zone of PA. I am from PA and the state has areas that are indeed full of dislike of Africian Americans. Governor Rendall knows there may be a real problem within these areas and Obama should return to PA and try to change the minds of those whom would even think of voting for McCain and Palin. Campbell Browm may want to swept the notion of the Senators comments under the rug but trust me PA has many area's that are REDNECK.

October 21, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  22. PA Voter

Obama wins in a landslide. No worries.

October 21, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  23. MARIA MORREO

DR MIMI DELA CRUZ: WHAT CHILDREN ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?OBAMA VOTED FOR PARTIAL BIRTH ABORTION.I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF DOCTOR YOU PROFESS TO BE. BUT WHEN YOU PULL THAT LEVER FOR OBAMA ,YOU, TOO ARE GUILTY OF INFANTCIDE..

October 21, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  24. Tiff of lithia springs

I would make 1 or 2 more stops and would not waste my time. Just my opionion.

Murtha may have a point.

October 21, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  25. Ron was a REP now a DEM

I can't beleive that John McCain is ahead in West Virginia after the comments during the primary from VP Dick Chenney about inbreeding and his excuse was he was not running for reelection

October 21, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |