October 21st, 2008

Rendell 'still a little nervous' about Penn., asks Obama to return

Rendell wants Obama to come back to Pennsylvania.
Rendell wants Obama to come back to Pennsylvania.

(CNN) - Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell has sent two separate memos to the Obama campaign in the past five days requesting that the Democratic Presidential candidate—as well as Hillary and Bill Clinton—return to campaign in Pennsylvania, Rendell told CNN's Gloria Borger.

Rendell said the McCain campaign is clearly making a push to win Pennsylvania, given the recent visits by the Arizona senator, his wife and his running mate. As a result, he wants Obama to appear in western Pennsylvania, Harrisburg and one more “large rally” in Philadelphia. Democrats generally worry that the race is significantly closer than what recent polls have suggested. According to Rendell, there is also worry among Democrats the McCain campaign has successfully raised the enthusiasm level among Republicans in the state.

“I don’t want to be selfish,” Rendell said. “But I’m still a little nervous, so I have asked Obama to come back. We understand he’s got demands from 20 different states, but we’d like to see him here.”

Obama's support appears to be weakest in the western part of the state, a region Pennsylvania Rep. Jack Murtha recently called 'racist,' and one where he badly lost to Sen. Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary.

Obama last campaigned in Pennsylvania on October 11, a week and a half ago. VP candidate Joe Biden made an appearance with Bill and Hillary Clinton in Scranton on October 12. McCain and running mate Sarah Palin have both made visits to the state this week.

The latest CNN poll of polls in Pennsylvania suggests Obama holds a 13 point lead over McCain there. CNN currently considers the state leaning Obama.

1. An American

To all you nasty Obama supporters – I voted early as well –

straight republican ticket

I was a democratic until this election – you people are snakes. From here on out I am going to be an independent, but for now

MCCAIN/PLAIN – 2008

SHOVE IT DEMS.

October 21, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  2. Chris F.

I don't think it will hurt for Obama to go back. You never want to take anything for granted especially since the polls apear to be tightening. I think Obama needs to win PA to secure his Win. I am still a little nervous about this election just in case the "Bradley effect" were to play out. I also remember the last election that the polls tightened and Kerry had to make a mad dash to PA to insure victory in that state. But it does seem like McCain has decided to focus on the PA to be his road to the White House.

October 21, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  3. joe smith

who's rendell kidding; all he wants to do is push for a cabinet job, if bo wins the election..this is the same govn't official who wastes money trying to sell our turnpike to a foreign country, while trying to toll a perfectly good I-80 interstate, obama will get what he deserves here with rendell...

October 21, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  4. Preco, NY

Nice strategy to get the McCain campaign in a frenzy of wishful thinking, maybe the McCain campaign will spend more of it's limited resources in a lost cause!!

Let them chase bad money with good money!!!!

October 21, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  5. just thinking

This proud Republican will not be voting for John McCain. I am following the advice of Rush!

October 21, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  6. Olivia

ALL REPUBLICANS!!!!

GO VOTE EARLY! QUITE A FEW PEOPLE BELIEVE THERE WILL BE PROBLEMS ON ELECTION DAY.

OBAMA IS REALLY URGING HIS PEOPLE TO VOTE NOW.

IF ACORN CAN HAPPEN, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

October 21, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  7. Obama/Biden08inJesus'Name

I was thinking the same thing. Barack (with the exception of time for Grandma who should be number one) and his surrogates need to live in PA, OH, VA, NC, and FL for the next two weeks. PA is not safe for us yet.

October 21, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  8. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

I've been a registered Independent most of my adult life, and have voted both ways and sometimes even a split ticket.

McPain/Liar have just gone to far in the smut bucket to have any credibility.

Obama/Biden '08

October 21, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  9. Joe Reed

Obama is up by 11% on Average in PA on Real Clear Politics, but yeah, another go around won't hurt.

October 21, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  10. Sebastian, Louisiana

Whatever it takes to choke every last vote right from out of McPalin's lying mouth and greedy paws.

OForce One to the rescue!.

October 21, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  11. Noose in PA getting tight for Obama

Listen to Rendell–a smart politician who knows his state-
    if he says the noose is tightening for Obama. better to believe him and do something about it-

October 21, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  12. Reilly

It is really sad that Obama seems to bring out the worst in everyone.
    His supporters do nothing but insult our state. We don't want govt handouts or more government intervention in our lives.
    We can't afford to give the checkbook of our country entirely to the democrats! They've double the national debt...in only two short years!

October 21, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  13. jj in Idaho

I've got my phone list and I'll be calling women voters in PA tomorrow. Idaho's kind of a lost (Republican) cause, so I'll be more than happy to use my own phone and my own time to talk with undecided Pennsylvania women and see if I can answer their questions about Barack Obama.

I hope that's "pro-American": using my money and time and honesty to campaign for candidates in whom I believe...and if it's not, then I'll quote Barbara from NC (comment above):

Shove it, Palin.

O&Joe in '08
    Don't Gloat, Just Vote

October 21, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  14. Aaron from Ohio

Obama can't take Pennsylvania for granted. I don't trust close elections. Obama needs to win by at least a few points. Anything less and I fear the republicans will find a way to steal another election. Look at McCain's campaign. It's all sleaze and lies. I wouldn't buy a used car from that man, let alone want him to run our country.

October 21, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  15. Truman

I am from upstate New York, but I love Pa. I think that it is one of the fiinest states, with the finest people in the country. My son went to Pitt.

I am voting for Obama becuase I believe that he shares our values and can bring the nation and the world back on track.

October 21, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  16. Mike

It's easier when you're Republican and only have to campaign in the "pro-America" states...

Nice to see Obama campaigning to be President of the UNITED States of America...

October 21, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  17. Proud to be American

He has conceded just have not stated it publicly.... McSame is a done deal and he is going down....... Obama and Biden all the way!

October 21, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  18. andrea

an american , it sounds like your the one with the nasty mouth telling dems to shove it! Cry baby!!!

October 21, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  19. Vegas Barbie for Obama

Go there Sen. Obama! But first tend to your grandmother and know that many prayers are going her, and your, way!!
    OBAMA/BIDEN '08 & '12 YES WE CAN!

October 21, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  20. Blue is my favourite colour

Barbara–YOU GO! I have also already voted in my state, as did many others, and I'm afraid the wave of Obama popularity right at this moment is what others will take into consideration when they send their early ballots in. PA is a blue state, and so long as the major portion votes democratic, McCain will lose.

I'm sure Obama will return next week if the campaign deems it necessary. BTW McCain supporters, McCain has neither the money, ground operation, nor the energy to turn all the "toss up" states toward him.

October 21, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  21. JOE KILOZ

BACK ??????

OBAMA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HAS,,,,,,,,,,,,SPENT,,,,,,,,,,,,1.5 ,,,,,,,,,,,,HOURS,,,,,,,,,,TOTAL,,,,

THERE,,,,,,,,,,,,,TOO,,,,,,,,,,,,MANY,,,,,,,,,,,CLINGING,,,,,,,,,,,,TO,,,,,,,,,GUNS,,,,,,

AND,,,,,,,,,,,,RELIGION,,,,,,,,,,,WITH,,,,,,,,,,,,SIGHTS,,,,,,,,,,,,ON,,,,,,,,,,HIM

October 21, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  22. vahe

Obama 08!!!!!!!!!!!! PA

October 21, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  23. warm wishes

It's funny that McCain believes that Barack will be tested, but he won't be.

You think Obama will be tested? What about Palin? Do you think the world will not test her?

October 21, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  24. Obama/Biden 08

Rendell has a good point. Get out of West Virginia and go to Pennsylvania.

October 21, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  25. hurriCAIN PALIN

nobama democrats...get ready for a tsunami of republican supporters for mccain. you guys arent the only ones that started a movement.

October 21, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |