October 21st, 2008

Rendell 'still a little nervous' about Penn., asks Obama to return

Rendell wants Obama to come back to Pennsylvania.
Rendell wants Obama to come back to Pennsylvania.

(CNN) - Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell has sent two separate memos to the Obama campaign in the past five days requesting that the Democratic Presidential candidate—as well as Hillary and Bill Clinton—return to campaign in Pennsylvania, Rendell told CNN's Gloria Borger.

Rendell said the McCain campaign is clearly making a push to win Pennsylvania, given the recent visits by the Arizona senator, his wife and his running mate. As a result, he wants Obama to appear in western Pennsylvania, Harrisburg and one more “large rally” in Philadelphia. Democrats generally worry that the race is significantly closer than what recent polls have suggested. According to Rendell, there is also worry among Democrats the McCain campaign has successfully raised the enthusiasm level among Republicans in the state.

“I don’t want to be selfish,” Rendell said. “But I’m still a little nervous, so I have asked Obama to come back. We understand he’s got demands from 20 different states, but we’d like to see him here.”

Obama's support appears to be weakest in the western part of the state, a region Pennsylvania Rep. Jack Murtha recently called 'racist,' and one where he badly lost to Sen. Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary.

Obama last campaigned in Pennsylvania on October 11, a week and a half ago. VP candidate Joe Biden made an appearance with Bill and Hillary Clinton in Scranton on October 12. McCain and running mate Sarah Palin have both made visits to the state this week.

The latest CNN poll of polls in Pennsylvania suggests Obama holds a 13 point lead over McCain there. CNN currently considers the state leaning Obama.

1. Every Wilson

I wonder why, the media, republicans, and small town America are entertaining negative incindery labels like, unpatriotic, anti-american, socialist, and now communist. The Mcarthy era should have taught Americans a lesson in these types of slanders. Also, America bears the scars fom its past due to labels and false accusations, Martin Luther King Jr. and his followers and other renown leaders were accused of being a communist, persecuted by law enforcement groups and the government while the media stood by, until it got a conscience! African Americans are not socialist or communist and neither are Americans who love this country. I would be upset to hear them accuse CNN, ABC, CBS new media outlets of being communist, the jury is out on FOX News. Will the media standby while these incindery charges cause a polarization, hatred, and even violence. African Americans have seen this before! I am looking for the media to stand up for the truth! Standing up for truth is not an endorsement of Barack Obama! It is an emphatic plea for decency, peacefulness, the constituition, and the human rights of all citizens to disagree without extremist inflammatory rhetoric.

October 21, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  2. Justin

VOTE PEOPLE VOTE!! Obama is the future, and Mcsame is the past! Let's elect the best man for the job! And that man is BARACK OBAMA!!! I have alreadt got the champagne on ice! Vote Obama-Biden 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 21, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  3. Stacey, AZ

I've been giving this a lot of thought, and I've come to the conclusion that if Hillary can forgive Barack, so can I. This country is bigger than political squabbles. Yes the stakes are high, but our country's future is not worth the divisiveness.

I'm voting for Barack because I think he's a decent American who will do a good job. I'm not a PUMA, but I was a very disgruntled Democrat. I have taken another look at the political landscape, and I like what I see in Barack.

Former Hillaryite, changing her mind.

Obama 08

October 21, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  4. DM

Obama is going to be tested because we already have a crisis (you may have noticed this little financial thing that's been going on).

Sure, millions of viewers tuned in to see Palin in the debates and on SNL. They wanted to see her crash and burn. She disappointed these folks, but they certainly aren't going to vote for her.

President Palin scares the crap out of me. Just what we don't need–someone who thinks God put her in office to oversee the "End of Days."

October 21, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  5. Larry

I do feel for all Americans in this election.As a Canadian we pay higher taxes but have health care and it is worth every penny.We don't have shows like Lou Dobbs,Sean Hannity,Rush Limbaugh that are haters and dividers of Obama or any one party.Seems to me the actual tax hike is minimal compared to the disaster McCain and Palin would bring on.There must be a poll with 90% of the world knowing Obama would bring back respect internationally for the US.If you vote for McCain you are voting for Palin to be President and that is just whack.

October 21, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  6. Just say no to O

Could it be that, people are actually thinking again. That the spell has been broken and they can see the real Obama now. "He's not the Messiah" Great talker though.

October 21, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  7. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

CNN Please post – answering another person's question

@Amy – in answer to your questions
    Six Sheets – voted Obama – then DEM – then locals – judges, etc.

OK?

Obama/Biden '08

October 21, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  8. True

What can he do for racists???
    They should be left alone and if they are many, then let Obama loose PA and look for another state such as Florida
    It is shame to see such things in the 21 century

May be pastor Wright is right, and unfortunately if McSame win then America will face its worst depression...

October 21, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  9. Tannim

Rendell is being overly cautious. Obama is up 52-40 in PA, and 364-171 -3 (ND) is the EV projection at the moment.

Stick the fork in McCain, he's past done. Just make sure that the final basting is done at the ballot box.

October 21, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  10. Former Republican ~

Someone commented on straight ticket voting in NC not counting the Presidential vote– I was surprised so did some checking. They're correct!

From the web:

"Some background: North Carolina is one of only two states in the country where straight-ticket voting does not count a vote for president. For example, if someone marks the box to vote straight-ticket Republican - but doesn't also tick off a vote for John McCain at the top of the ballot - McCain won't get a vote." Same would go for Democrats & Obama.

SO– NORTH CAROLINIANS– if you vote a straight Democratic ticket, be sure to vote for Obama too!

October 21, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  11. Brain in DC

About Fox: I'm shocked at what I see on fox.com comments. I don't mean the narrow mindedness and hate spilling from a good portion of posts. I mean the dirty words and cussing posted where it should be moderated and requires user account and login! The reason I'm posting this here is that after reading some of these I don't want to "register" my info there to get an account and post.

I'm disappointed at what Fox is permitting which they can be sued for. And hoping that these hateful improper sentences represent a small minority of the people of this great country. Thanks CNN.

October 21, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  12. susie

Biden stated that we will have an international crisis is Obama gets elected. That is scary.

October 21, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  13. Dewey

Hey PA, the Republicans aren't calling you racist or acusing you of clinging to your religion and guns.

October 21, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  14. Gracey, MI

Rendell has been a straight shooter, since the primaries. If he wants Barack to go to PA, I think he should go. This country is experiencing something it's never experienced before as far as elections are concerned. Pennsylvania is important, so I hope Barack will go and I hope the good citiizens of PA, will give him a chance.

Obama/Biden for Pennsylvania 08

October 21, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  15. Charlie Bradley

I don't think Barack is in any danger of losing PA. He needs to come to Georgia–not to Atlanta but small-middle town Georgia and show these yahoos down here that he is the right man for the job. I am constantly on a crusade in the online edition of my city's newspaper to try and show the people WHY Obama is the right man for the job but typical Repuglican supremacy seems to win out. It's hard to be blue when everyone around you is red.

OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 21, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  16. Cee

Another Liberal sucking up in fear of his job !

Can't the public see what's happening to the USA? We are succoming to a fear factor. Fear that we will be "labeled," fear that we won't get the "change" we think we should have. Don't you all know that you are looking for PIE IN THE SKY ? It isn't there. You will end up PAYING dearly for this election.

FACT: FIRSTS don't beat experience. Pride in America and the AMERICAN way of Life are what's needed.

October 21, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  17. Janine

Republicans are getting nastier and nastier. In the words of Mr. King:
    "Can't we all just get along"

October 21, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  18. Franky

"Obama leads McCain by nine points in the poll of polls released Tuesday – 51 percent to 42 percent. Seven percent of those surveyed are unsure about their choice for president."

LOL!!!!

October 21, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  19. FactCheck

> Those in the past who have underestimated Sarah have paid the price

Umm.. most of us tuned in to watch Palin because we were hoping for a train wreck. Most of us are completely uninterested in anything she has to say but moments of sheer brilliance like the notion that the VP runs the Senate or Putin will be popping his head over Alaska are funnier than anything since the early days of Sienfeld.

October 21, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  20. Marcie, IN

Yes, and the rallying cry should be ONE AMERICA. We are all patriotic.

Obama/Biden 08

October 21, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  21. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

IF he can do it, I'm sure he'll make it. Without Penn, McCain has nowhere to go but back to Colorado and every other toss up state.
    But if he is up by that much 10-12%, and with the conservative Michael Smerconish endorsing him, well, Penn may be in a lot better hsape than Rendell thinks.

We'll see if he can get it on the schedule.

October 21, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  22. THE WATCHER

can't we all just get along? It is almost over.

October 21, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  23. Shrimp Barnicles:Longlsland, NY

Penn will come down to about 1.5% win for Obama.
    From the Predicter

October 21, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  24. Palin Making the difference in PA

70 million watched her debate-only 56 million watched Obama

17 million watched her on SNL--

These numbers are huge-and when these people get into the privacy of the voting booth where no one can see or hear what they are doing-
    Sarah will win again as she always has--Dems. underestimated her and now they pay the price-

October 21, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  25. Anne, VT

Murtha owes his constituents an apology. What an awful thing to say. I can't believe he believes his district is racist.

No matter, Barack will win and he will breing the country together.

Obama/Biden 08