October 21st, 2008

Rendell 'still a little nervous' about Penn., asks Obama to return

Rendell wants Obama to come back to Pennsylvania.
Rendell wants Obama to come back to Pennsylvania.

(CNN) - Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell has sent two separate memos to the Obama campaign in the past five days requesting that the Democratic Presidential candidate—as well as Hillary and Bill Clinton—return to campaign in Pennsylvania, Rendell told CNN's Gloria Borger.

Rendell said the McCain campaign is clearly making a push to win Pennsylvania, given the recent visits by the Arizona senator, his wife and his running mate. As a result, he wants Obama to appear in western Pennsylvania, Harrisburg and one more “large rally” in Philadelphia. Democrats generally worry that the race is significantly closer than what recent polls have suggested. According to Rendell, there is also worry among Democrats the McCain campaign has successfully raised the enthusiasm level among Republicans in the state.

“I don’t want to be selfish,” Rendell said. “But I’m still a little nervous, so I have asked Obama to come back. We understand he’s got demands from 20 different states, but we’d like to see him here.”

Obama's support appears to be weakest in the western part of the state, a region Pennsylvania Rep. Jack Murtha recently called 'racist,' and one where he badly lost to Sen. Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary.

Obama last campaigned in Pennsylvania on October 11, a week and a half ago. VP candidate Joe Biden made an appearance with Bill and Hillary Clinton in Scranton on October 12. McCain and running mate Sarah Palin have both made visits to the state this week.

The latest CNN poll of polls in Pennsylvania suggests Obama holds a 13 point lead over McCain there. CNN currently considers the state leaning Obama.

1. Former PA resident to the current PA residents

I have faith in my PA brothers and sisters. I was born, raised, and lived a nice portion of my adult life in PA. I know that the unity and message of the Obama campaign will shine through to PA and paint it dark dark blue!!!!

If Obama needs to be there, then I'm sure he'll do whatever it takes to get the job done. That's what he does and that's why we're voting for him!!!

Obama / Biden 08' & Beyond!

October 21, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  2. The World for Obama

Go get 'em Barack!

October 21, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  3. TheTruthHurts

Heck, I'm in CA and I know Obama won't be here again. We're all sown up. He stopped through for a fundraiser, but that's it. I have no problem with that. The point is to win and his campaign has been incredibly disciplined and creative at the same time.

Rendell needs to let them do their job and air any concerns IN PRIVATE.

October 21, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  4. will

Obama should go back to Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Florida for the last seven days of the election and then shove it up McCain's !

McCain = no Change

Obama/Biden 2008

October 21, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  5. George

X Democrat, McCain Palin in 2008 i a LANDSLIDE...DEMS get the Excedrin out its gonna be a long night for you..Remember John Kerry, it think it was....he caved

October 21, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  6. SHELLI1313

It will be great if Senator Obama will return to Penn. It will be good if he can visit West Virginia, Virginia, Ohio, Utah, Texas, California and a host of other states. I respect Senator Obama and his stance on the Economy. He loves America and the American People!

Go Obama/Biden

October 21, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  7. chucky1169469

voted straight DEM yesterday,

i was surprised at how many older white people in Texas were voting for Obama.....I love it

October 21, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  8. S. Boatman

The Republican Party Has Been Ruined By The Far Right For The Next Generation At Least!

October 21, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  9. TexicoFrom Mexico

Penn is in the bag...why? Because all those fine people in Penn can see what the read deal is. They know they do not want another 4 years of Bush. I am a Texan and I just know you all have it in you to win this for US as a nation. Too bad my home state of Texas can't pull together and turn our state back to ol blue the way she use to be! Threre was nothing better than a Southern Democrat!

October 21, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  10. Robin

FOR THE FIRST TIME, I READ OBAMA'S SPEECH REGARDING PEOPLE LIVING PENNSYLVANIA THAT HOLDS ON THEIR RELIGION AND GUNS. HOW IN THE WORLD DID THAT COMMENT GET TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT. OBAMA WAS JUST STATING HOW THE PEOPLE IN SMALL TOWNS HAVE BEEN FORGOTTEN AND GOVERNMENT HAS OVERLOOKED THEM, HE WAS NOT TRYING TO BELITTLE THEM,; HOWEVER, PALIN CAN MAKE ALL KINDS OF STATEMENTS AND APOLOGIZED AS THOUGH IT IS NOTHING.

October 21, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  11. Linda in NC

I'm a white female in NC after listening to the 3 stooges McCain Palin and Limbaugh I voted today for Barack Obama then I voted straight democrat

Barack the vote

October 21, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  12. Rita, VA

I'm an African American. I'm also red, white and blue all over. Don't question my patriotism. We all love this great country.

And...

Color doesn't matter when soldiers are volunteering to serve their country, it shouldn't matter now.

October 21, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  13. I Just Said Thanks, but No Thanks to Another 4 Years of g.o.p. corruption, arrogance and incompetence

Larry Kissel is Rep. Hayes opponent.

Give some money to "Larry the Teacher" and let's retire Hayes.

That's Larry Kissel, folks – Use your Google search engines.

October 21, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  14. Redneck from Kentucky

Rendell knows his State. If he thinks Obama and the Clintons need to come back to PA.....they should certainly heed his advice.

October 21, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  15. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

Not a bad idea to go back there. While we have lots of ways to reach 270, McCain only has one and it goes straight through Pennsylvania.

October 21, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  16. George

WHY are my comments being MODERATED...it certainly doesn't appear that the DEMO comments are being MODERATED. Is there a bit of discrimination here? Hopefully not....

October 21, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  17. RGG

I trust the wisdom of ordinary Americans. Surely, they can't vote for Mccain/ Palin? Can they?
    This election is too important for the whole world which is watching.

October 21, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  18. Ken, Republican Voting for Obama

OK Governor, one more visit then you must deliver the state.

October 21, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  19. Hillary Supporter

I was for Hillary Clinton in the primaries.. i watched obama with uncertainty about his readiness for the presidency before but now i know he is ready to be president... he has maintained an almost flawless campaign in the face of a barrage of republican attacks... when barack took that trip around the world i knew that he was the leader that we were waiting for to take the mantle from bill clinton... i encourage all hillary supporters to vote for obama and to stand up for him.. jus like hillary is standing up for him...

god bless the stars and stripes and god bless our future president and amercican prodigy... barack obama

October 21, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  20. Replicans had their chance, and blew it

DON'T FORGET...REPUBLICANS HAD TOTAL CONTROL!!

No one in their right mind, would send a Republican in to fix the mess the Republicans made.

Snooze you lose..

ALL DEM for me...Obama/Biden...Warner for Virginia Senate...

Turning Virginia Blue...

October 21, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  21. Protest Michele Bachmann

Michele Bachmann (R) in Minnesota, should be ashamed of herself. I sent her opponent $10. and I hope he will use it wisely. I hope he will show other Americans that we are all patriotic. There are no Anti-Americans in Congress or anywhere else.

Obama/Biden 08

October 21, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  22. Jorge -- SF_CA

Senator Obama, please listen to Governor Rendell!

McSame & Pain are spending too much time there.

We cannot afford to lose ground in PA to to the GOP.

October 21, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  23. Desmond Sequeira

Whether Obama is able or not to return to Pennsylvania, we will trust the people there to be wise and to address the issues and not to sucked in by the smear and fear bigotry of the F A I L I N/ McSAME campaign

October 21, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  24. Alex

To Olivia:

By saying "IF ACORN CAN HAPPEN, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.", what exactly do you mean? The Repubs are throwing around the organization's name like it's the American branch of Al Qaeda, but really, what exactly have they done in this election that is unfair or illegal? Telling election officials "We think these registrations might be false, so double check them"?? Asking the FBI in to investigate the minor administrative discrepancies that result from a few irresponsible workers trying to fake it for a paycheck? Inviting John McCain to speak at their events.

I think it's being harped on because, well, ACORN is a word that the Republican base can remember and repeat ad nauseum, they might even have a few in their backyards to remind them!

October 21, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  25. yougottabekidding

CNN is a joke. Look at the homepage. Every headline is negative McCain. Wheres the Ayers articles? Wheres the ties to the crooked real estate mogul? Barely a mention of his ties to the racist minister. All of the "fact checks" have gone Obama's way. Can we really believe hes always right? Wrong! Last election I voted for Kerry, before that Gore, so dont be calling me a right winger. I'm not, but I call it the way I see it. The medial is terribly biased both ways. Where is the non biased media? Thats where I want to read the news.

October 21, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |