October 21st, 2008

Rendell 'still a little nervous' about Penn., asks Obama to return

Rendell wants Obama to come back to Pennsylvania.
Rendell wants Obama to come back to Pennsylvania.

(CNN) - Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell has sent two separate memos to the Obama campaign in the past five days requesting that the Democratic Presidential candidate—as well as Hillary and Bill Clinton—return to campaign in Pennsylvania, Rendell told CNN's Gloria Borger.

Rendell said the McCain campaign is clearly making a push to win Pennsylvania, given the recent visits by the Arizona senator, his wife and his running mate. As a result, he wants Obama to appear in western Pennsylvania, Harrisburg and one more “large rally” in Philadelphia. Democrats generally worry that the race is significantly closer than what recent polls have suggested. According to Rendell, there is also worry among Democrats the McCain campaign has successfully raised the enthusiasm level among Republicans in the state.

“I don’t want to be selfish,” Rendell said. “But I’m still a little nervous, so I have asked Obama to come back. We understand he’s got demands from 20 different states, but we’d like to see him here.”

Obama's support appears to be weakest in the western part of the state, a region Pennsylvania Rep. Jack Murtha recently called 'racist,' and one where he badly lost to Sen. Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary.

Obama last campaigned in Pennsylvania on October 11, a week and a half ago. VP candidate Joe Biden made an appearance with Bill and Hillary Clinton in Scranton on October 12. McCain and running mate Sarah Palin have both made visits to the state this week.

The latest CNN poll of polls in Pennsylvania suggests Obama holds a 13 point lead over McCain there. CNN currently considers the state leaning Obama.

1. Obama Mama

To "You have all underestimated Sara Palin",

Sorry to burst your bubble: I watched the VP debate and her appearance on SAturday Night Live so I could have fodder for water cooler politics the next work day. Her appearances provide me with 5-10 jokes a day. And further–a lot of my friends watched too for the same reason but we are all voting OBAMA.

NC for Obama. We are swinging Carolina Blue, baby!!!!

October 21, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  2. we need something new- from OH

common pennsylvania we are counting on you help transform this nation's economy into a 21st century one!
    Obama/Biden '08 for the change we need!

October 21, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  3. francheska ;-)

I would think that Biden and Hillary can go back to Penn if it is really that urgent, since Obama has to go back and see his sick gramma. The man is not three people. He is working hard for Florida. ;-)

October 21, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  4. INDEPENDENT

THE PEOPLE IN PENNSYLVANIA NEED TO STAND STRONG FOR A GOOD AND STRONG AMERICA. THE REPUBLICAN RIGHT WING NEO CON'S HAVE DESTROYED THIS COUNTRY FOR BIG BUSINESS AND THE RICH.

OBAMA STANDS FOR THE PEOPLE AND WANT TO UNITE AMERICA AND THE WORLD. 4 OUT OF 5 INTERNATIONAL COUNTRY SUPPORT OBAMA AND WE WILL NEED THEM TO UNITE WITH US TO FIGHT TERRORIST AND SHARE IN THE COST.

PENN STATE STAND STRONG AND FIGHT FOR THIS COUNTRIES DEMOCRACY AGAINST THE NEO CON'S.

OBAMA 08

October 21, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  5. former republican for OBAMA

I'm from western Pa and you know what I am bitter and I pray to god and If I had a gun I'd cling to it. And guess what I'm voting OBAMA!!!!!!!

October 21, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  6. Soccer Mom

To the one who wrote about underestimating Sarah Palin....
    More people watched her because the dems look at all possibilities and the repubs see things one way. Paris Hilton gets huge viewings also. It doesn't mean they like her.

As for Palin and her pro-American anti-American views.... I don't think she actually paid attention to the elections until she was asked to run. She didn't seem to know what was going on at all and seemed very surprised about the Ayers fiasco. After all her husband was in the separatist and she was /is very pro-Alaskan. That is her motivation.

October 21, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  7. Clinton Democrat for Obama

Gov. Rendell is baiting Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin to spend their money and time in the state when it's probably not necessary...

October 21, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  8. Lexie

It looks like Ohio, Florida and possibly Colorado will be deciding this election. It will be interesting to see if the people suffering in those states stick with what got them there or will they step out in a new direction.
    GO OBAMA!

October 21, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  9. Independent but Leaning

No need. Penns is for Obama.

October 21, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  10. Rich In PA

Sorry, but this Pennsylvanian is voting for McCain.

October 21, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  11. Republican who VOTED ALREADY for OBAMA

Oh yeah! I sure heck did the unthinkable! Early voting for OBAMA ..This Repub is no longer a Repub..thanks to MCain and Palin. I saw the light!! I'm as pro as an american can be!

If Obama sees it fit to return, then he can return to PA. I trust HIS judgement on what needs to be done when he gathers all the information for that state. I see Obama being a thoughtful person when it comes to decisions in critical times. He knows what is best. I don't think he will be swayed by a Rendell's request if he does not need to be in PA-yet!

October 21, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  12. Ronda

Well PA, it might be all up to you. Who will turn out & vote in your state? The REAL Americans that Palin likes to chum up to, or the FAKE Americans?

Well, I have news for you Palin. I am an AMERICAN. PERIOD. I certainly do not need you to mislabel me or question my patriotism.

Also, Ms. Palin, quit calling me a socialist. I am a DEMOCRAT and proud of it! Jefferson founded our party. Are you calling the writer of the constitution a socialist? Do you even know what a socialist is? Look to the top of your own ticket for a true socialist. He wants to socialize the bank losses and privatize profits.

October 21, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  13. ZANE

McCain and Palin have tried about everything....fear, terrorist, and now socialist. Both McCain and Palin hope these ploys sway the voters away from the economy issues. Let's see if Americans fall for this when their pensions, retirement and savings accounts are dwinkling away rapidly.

October 21, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  14. Vegas Barbie for Obama

Gov.. Rendell looks as if he's been spending time in the tanning booth...that image hurts my brain, but he is pretty tan for late Oct. in PA.

October 21, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  15. Georgia Gal

You have all underestimated Sarah Palin ...

We watched her debate and SNL with her to see her make a fool out of herself. And in the case of the debate to see Biden win ... which he did.

October 21, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  16. No Hillary = No Obama

Still nervous about Pennsylvania? I wonder why – Obama called them bitter, gun-toting, religious fanatics and Murta called them racists, oh, excuse me, rednecks. WHen Hillary won Pennsylvania she didn't call people names. That's why she won. Obama and his cohorts think they can call people names, pander to the professional sport teams and get away with it. No wonder Pennyslvania is dubious.

October 21, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  17. Hank

Who is John Galt?

October 21, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  18. Donald, Toronto

I find it ironic that many of the people who are criticizing Senator Obama for not being experience and thus not ready to be president are the same ones that cannot run an organization to be elected. Look at all of the various individuals that were (losers in the primaries/caucuses) and are (Senator Obama and Senator McCain)contending to be president, only Senator Obama has so far maintained an effective organization that has gotten the job done and have been able to raise the money necessary for an effective campaign.

October 21, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  19. Ronda

My bad...I meant that Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence (oops, my bad)!

October 21, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  20. Georgia Gal

Whoever is put into office (and I hope and pray its Obama-Biden) will be tested. Geez ... I really do wish it was November 5th already and all this stuff was over. I am so sick of all the negative campaigning and mudslinging.

October 21, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  21. Andrew

I'm a viet vet. I supported McCain right up until he chose Palin as his V.P. Between John and Sarah spouting off about who are qualified to be his Americans and who aren't I have lost all respect for John McCain. I will never stand by him again.

October 21, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  22. Rudy H.

Viva Obama!!

October 21, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  23. Regina

Question--- How can a business with 16 million, be a small business.?

October 21, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  24. Janine

Good for you Barbara – 65 yr old white female in NC. You vote for who you want to.

October 21, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  25. judy in PA

I'm a SWPA person and am voting straight Dem this year. We need change. I'm Pro-American.

October 21, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |