October 22nd, 2008

New McCain ad focuses on taxes, voters' 'sweat equity'

Sen. McCain's new tv ad focuses on taxes and Sen. Obama's conservation with Joe Wurzelbacher.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama’s campaign trail encounter with Ohio plumber Joe Wurzelbacher continues to play a prominent role in Sen. John McCain’s economic message during the final weeks of the race for the White House.

McCain’s new television ad, “Sweat Equity,” begins with footage of Obama’s exchange with Wurzelbacher, now known simply as “Joe the plumber,” followed by images of would-be voters declaring “I’m Joe the plumber.”

“I'm supposed to work harder... Just to pay more taxes. Obama wants my sweat to pay for his trillion dollars in new spending?,” the ad’s script also says.

The McCain campaign says the 30-second spot will air in “key states.” The ad follows up on a Web video launched last week that also features the Wurzelbacher exchange with Obama .

(full script of “Sweat Equity” after the jump)

Script For "Sweat Equity" (TV :30)

BARACK OBAMA: I think when you spread the wealth around it's good for everybody.

WOMAN: I'm Joe the plumber.

WOMAN: I'm Joe the plumber.

WOMAN: I'm Joe the plumber.

ANNCR: Spread the wealth?

MAN: I'm supposed to work harder...

MAN: Just to pay more taxes.

MAN: Obama wants my sweat to pay for his trillion dollars in new spending?

WOMAN: I'm Joe the plumber.

ANNCR: Barack Obama. Higher Taxes. More Spending. Not Ready.

JOHN MCCAIN: I'm John McCain and I approve this message.

1. B

Just like the rest of McCain's campaign, "Joe" (actual name Sam) the plumber is a lie. He makes 45K/yr and would actually benefit from Obama's tax plan. This so called independent also donated to McCain's campaign. Of course, Joe, like many others, may still vote GOP because he's been brainwashed by multimillionaires like Rush Limbaugh that he'll one day make $250k/yr or more too, despite the fact that his chance of that is less than 5%. I am amazed at the ignorance (or racism?) of so many GOP voters who keep voting against their own interests. Even McCain (in 2000) said that Bush's tax cuts for the rich were "irresponsible" and voted AGAINST the very tax cuts he now proposes and that Obama is trying to reverse. What changed?

October 22, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  2. JL

For those of you who are making remarks, socialism and communism are two different things. Look it up before repeating meaningless fear-mongering rhetoric. It is possible to have a socialist element of a capitalist society without the entire country going down the toilet.

Furthermore, Obama is neither.

McCain's policies are the same policies the republicans have proposed since the Reagan years, to include the ones used by the Bush administration.

...and you would know both of these things if you bothered to read rather than just believing and then repeating everything you hear.

October 22, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  3. FAYE, NV

250,000 Joe or myself making that kind of money. John what is wrong with helping americans. If someone makes over 250,000 a year they will be taxed, simple. Why is this hard. Read the B-tiudes – it's in the bible.

October 22, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. Craig in Washington

Give it up, McCain. Your plumber scam didn't work then and it's not working now. And your constant telling of lies isn't helping either. Instead of criticizing Obama, why don't to try something REALLY maverick? Tell us what YOUR plan is. Now that would be radical!

October 22, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  5. Amy

One more reason I'm thankful for my DVR!

October 22, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  6. Michelle, PA

I have to laugh every time I see one of these commercials!

McCain/Palin has no coherent plan of their own on just about any issue, so they have nothing to say other than tell us the other guy is lying and has a completely different plan he will unveil after November 4th.

This made-up second plan will, of course, not only raise everybody's taxes to unbearable levels but also turns the country into the USSA and, by the way, is apparently opposed by none other than God Himself.

It's pure comedic genius, "My Friends". You betcha.

October 22, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  7. SONGBIRD MCCAIN

The McCain campaign and ad strategy is as erratic as he is!!

This doesn't even make sense.

I think McCain has Alzheimers. Check out the YouTube video (shown on Daily Show) of McCain in 2000 saying why his proposal to have increased taxes on the rich and lower taxes on the poor was not socialism.

That old confused man doesn't know what way is up. Pathetic.

October 22, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  8. Spartacus

John McCain's in the midst of his campaign's deaththrows. May his campaign rest in peace on November 4th. Though I doubt he'll be that grateful.

Go out and vote!

We don't need to be ruled by these Good ol' Boy, public fund-stealing, accountability-dodging, lipstick-wearing pigs any longer.

Go out and vote!!!