October 22nd, 2008

Obama shows off dance moves after Michelle talks 'smack'

CNN

Watch Obama on Ellen.

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) – Barack Obama lauded his wife Michelle at his evening event for being a better speaker than he is. Apparently she is also a better dancer.

The Democratic presidential nominee taped an appearance for the "Ellen DeGeneres Show" after his rally on a makeshift set behind the press filing tent. DeGeneres told Obama that when Michelle appeared on her show "she was talking some smack" about his dance "moves."

Standing in front of a few rows of supporters, Obama danced to James Brown's "Get Up Offa That Thing" much to the delight of the talk show host.

"Let me tell you that Michelle may be a better dancer. But I'm convinced I'm a better dancer than John McCain," Obama said.

Watch: Obama says he's a better dancer than McCain

Obama told DeGeneres that his daughters were opting for scary Halloween costumes this year. He said Sasha, the younger daughter, is planning to be a "corpse bride" and Malia will be an "evil fairy."

"I've got to admit they both look too cute. They're not scary enough for my taste," he said.

The segment will air on Wednesday.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. MG

The Obama's are so, well, regular. They truly are middle america. I can't wait to see the show.

October 22, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  2. Don

I would agree 100 percent just watch him dance around a question.

October 22, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  3. Still for Hill, but voting McCain

Mortgage Bankers President today has announced we are in a recession. Unemployment is up, while manuafacturing and housing sales are down.

Obama's plan to raise taxes at this time is CRAZY.

You Obama supporters are more concerned with making history than the welfare of this country.

If Obama is elected, at least I can say 'I told you so'.

McCain/Palin 08

October 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  4. CJ

Talk Smack? First Bump? God help where this country is headed. Unbelievable that the future of America is going to be in this man's hands. Doesn't have one firm policy to stand on but he can dance? I guarantee that in a few months of his first term, we'll all be asking what happened to the "change we can believe in".

Anyone but Obama in 2012, if we make it that far!

October 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  5. FED UP!

Good for him! Glad to see that he's a human with a lively spirit – and not just a politician engrossed in winning for his own sake.

That says a lot about Obama's character and humility!!

OBAMA ALL THE WAY!!!

October 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  6. paksa

Obama certainly is the best dancer – he has danced around any truths or questions regarding his past, his mentoring circle and experience record. His resume' falls very short of presidential material. When one looks at past successful and brilliant leaders, the ability to have sleek moves, dance well, and 'talk the talk' are certainly not characteristics that made the difference in true leadership. How sad that this 'great reporting' took up so much space on this web-site. How regrettable for our country that these criteria are so important to some people!!

October 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  7. Stephen

Someone asks if this is political news,and the answer is YES. It is hard to understand how the GOP has crushed the spirit of this nation. You just have to be old enough to remember that the "Reagan Revolution" launched an alliance between serious conservatives and the moralizing, sexually repressed religious right. Then over the next 20 years, the religionists (as they are wont to do) took more and more control, and finally elected their very own GW Bush. What will happen on November 4th is not just a change in the White House. It will be a generational sea change as millions of Americans cry ENOUGH ! We want our country back. And Hannity, Coulter, Limbough and Cheny will be looking for work. I do not hate these death-loving, apocalyptic nut-jobs. I just want them back in the margins of society where they belong. I want a president who can dance. GOBAMA

October 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  8. Dan

Wow, is this Dancing With the Stars or a presidential election? I'd hate to think we're choosing the leader of the free world based on dance moves or even personality. I'm not a huge McCain fan, but come people, stop drinking the koolaid. You all are a bunch of Obama drones.

October 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  9. Andy J, NY

Seriously?!?!

More media fawning over Obama.

The media is disgusting.

October 22, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  10. To Scott

Barack wrote about his cocaine use in his book, before he even ran for President. Did Cindy write about her drug use? If so, let me know the title of the book so that I can pick it up. Thanks.

October 22, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  11. Bonnie in Colorado

So Obama is a better dancer than McCain. That is an insult to McCain who is limited by his handicaps as a result of being a POW. Let's ask Obama if his basketball stunts are helping hide his smoking addiction? ALSO, Bill Clinton took Hillary and Chelsea all over the world as president at tax payer expense. I can just guess how much that cost us and no one blinked and now the DEMS and the media are making a big deal out of airfare for Palin's kids and campaign clothes. I bet Obama and Bidens suits cost several thousand each!!!! Obama is a big spender and wasting dollars that came from who knows where? I bet we find out just how he got all that money down the road.

October 22, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  12. Penny

Mike;
    Powell spoke on behalf of the Iran war based on the lies of Bush!! The fact that he has talked openly about it and regrets listening to one of the biggest failures in politics says a great deal about his character. Colin Powel is a military leader, which the war mongering Republicans have mistakenly interpreted to mean that he likes to kill. He does not. He agrees that diplomacy and sanctions are the better way to handle international issues.

October 22, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  13. Lauren

Latina...
    No friends of terrorists? How about a friend of a group that wants the state it runs to be it's own country separate from the US.
    No abortion extremists? How about someone who wants to take away abortion rights in all cases including incest and rape?

Obama is neither a "friend of terrorists" or an "abortion extremist". Do your homework.

Obama/Biden 08

October 22, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  14. November 5

I'm done with the fear that the GOP hucksters have to offer.
    I'm tired of the hate.

Let's get back to freedom.

October 22, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  15. bunny

I don't care if the leader of my beloved country is a good dancer. My concern is that he preserve the ideals that have made this country the greatest nation on earth. Does he have courage to fight for what he believes in? Will he stand and see a crisis through, or will he vote "Present" and say that the question is "above my pay grade"?

October 22, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  16. Palin Power

"They're not scary enough for my taste."

Obama does have really scary taste! Barack Hussein Obama IS scary! Rev. Wright, Bill Ayers . . . now THAT's some scary taste!

October 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  17. would ya look at that?

how is this news?

and how did all the liberals manage to turn this into a "bash mccain" party again?

for gods sake guys grow up.

McCains old as hell.. of course obama is a better dancer than him. McCain wouldn't know what to do anymore...

October 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  18. Dan

And I guarantee Romney would have taken him to the mat – politically, that is. I could care less about dance moves.

October 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  19. Pat, Westminster, Maryland

Saying that Obama is a terrorist or an abortion extremist is really way out there. If you don't like him, you don't like him. But if you are so "frustrated and bitter" that you cling to these blatant falsehoods about Obama, then there is no reason to expect you to be a reasoned thinker.

Of course you could do research, you could investigate t.v. shows and web sites OTHER than just FOX and other conservative blogs, thus enabling yourself to develop a well rounded view.

Or you could continue to do what you're doing, believing the dirt and the smear and the lies of Pied McPiper and Palin.

October 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  20. Commonwealth of Virginia

I love that Sen. Obama and his wife can bring happiness to people while we're in this economic crisis. Dance on!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

October 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  21. bon

This is called the dumbing down of America!

October 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  22. Noah

This is absolutely pathetic and insulting. The media prefers to focus on the Obama family's dancing abilities while at the same time publishing the most ridiculous stories about Sarah Palin in an attempt to paint her as evil. This story goes to the heart of the media's obsession with Obama and gettign him elected by any means necessary. Maybe the luny Liberals, who are so consumed with racism, should question if this story is racist as it depicts Obama and his wife, both African Americans, as good dancers. Isn't that a racially tinged comment to make? The media has lost any shred of credibility it had left

October 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  23. To Scott

Barack wrote about his drug use in a book before he ran for President. Did Cindy write about her drug use? If so, let me know the title of the book so that I can pick it up. I like to learn a little about people before they move into the White House. Thanks.

October 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  24. mitch

im so proud to have voted for barack. GO! REDNECK'S FOR OBAMA MEMBERS! WOOOHOOO! WE VOTE FOR THE BEST PRESIDENT! NOT THE ONE WHO 'LOOKS' MORE LIKE US!! WOOOHOOO!

October 22, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  25. Lauren

And by the way...I'm very prObama. And I don't drink kool aid.

October 22, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |