October 22nd, 2008

Palin: God will do the right thing on election day

Gov. Palin told James Dobson that God will do 'the right thing' on election day.

FINDLAY, Ohio (CNN) –- In an interview posted online Wednesday, Sarah Palin told Dr. James Dobson of “Focus on the Family” that she is confident God will do “the right thing for America” on Nov. 4.

Dobson asked the vice presidential hopeful if she is concerned about John McCain’s sagging poll numbers, but Palin stressed that she was “not discouraged at all.”

“To me, it motivates us, makes us work that much harder,” she told the influential Christian leader, whose radio show reaches millions of listeners daily. “And it also strengthens my faith because I know at the end of the day putting this in God’s hands, the right thing for America will be done, at the end of the day on Nov. 4.”

Dobson praised Palin's opposition to abortion rights, to which the governor affirmed that she is “hardcore pro-life.”

She said giving birth to her son Trig, who has Down syndrome, has given her the opportunity “to be walking the walk and not just talking the talk” in her long-standing opposition to abortion.

Dobson - who has never been warm to McCain - asked Palin if her “private conversations” with the GOP nominee had revealed a true commitment to the Republican party’s pro-life platform, which calls for a constitutional amendment banning abortions.

"I do, from the bottom of my heart," Palin assured Dobson. “John McCain is solidly there on those solid planks in our platform that build the right agenda for America.”

She also thanked her supporters - including Dobson, who said he and his wife were asking “for God’s intervention” on election day - for their prayers of support.

“It is that intercession that is so needed,” she said. “And so greatly appreciated. And I can feel it too, Dr. Dobson. I can feel the power of prayer, and that strength that is provided through our prayer warriors across this nation. And I so appreciate it.”

The interview was taped on Monday by phone while Palin was campaigning in Colorado Springs, where “Focus on the Family” is headquartered.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Mike in Columbus

this lady has never once impressed me.

October 22, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  2. andrea

Shes a selfrightous hipocrite!! what is she going to think If Obama wins on nov 4th, that God didnt do the right thing! Or will she repent for all the lies and evil things she has claimed againts Obama? she needs to get real! they claim they dont want Obama to spred the wealth to hardworking tax payers!! thats bacause she wants to pocket the wealth and use it on her clothes and hair products!!!

October 22, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  3. Art A

"God" told George W to run for office and look what happened. Do you think you "God" can make mistakes? If all else fails, rely on fiction.

October 22, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  4. sal

Dont test God

God is not to be tempted

Lust for power is not what he is about

He is about people comming together to meet the common needs of Country and the world.

Obama Biden will be the best tool for this type of change
    From a metaphysical stand point, they already have the victory.

The old style politics is old, and death to ears of many everyday Americans.

Powered by the people

Change is happening, Embrace it! LOL

October 22, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  5. NB

I can't agree more with Palin. I believe in God and I know he will do the right thing by blessing Obama to be a Wonderful President and bring back prosperity to our great country.

You Go Sarah. Go back home.

October 22, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  6. God is Republican

So let me get this straight... Not only is god an American, but he is also a republican too...?

Now I see why anyone who shares a different view point from theirs is labeled as evil, anti-american, and un-patriotic.
    Talk about self-righteous...

7. Cynda P.

No, dear, God will not do the right thing for America, the voters will.

8. Pier Giacalone

You betcha he will. And so will millions of voters sending you back to the deep freeze from whence you came.

9. Jason

Wow! This lady is nuts. God has nothing to say about who we elect as President.

10. Concerned Voter

Does anyone not notice that this woman keeps using "her" infant child as a political pawn in this election? Honestly, I wonder if that' s even her child...or perhaps it's the first child of her daughter Bristol. Maybe not, but until she releases her medical records, we'll never know.

11. eric

"Prayer Warriors"!!! This woman has gone off the deep end, but she is right, she will need God to intervene if her and McCain want to even have a chance at winning this election.

12. TwoByTwo

Maybe someone needs to educate Palin on the separation of church and state. If she were to take office, she needs to be able to set aside her personal religious views and make decisions for the good of the entire populous, not just those who follow her religous beliefs. This country was founded on that tenet and the catalyst for breaking away from England, so why is it that religion has played such a divisive role in this election. Stop telling me what god will do and start telling me what you will do, because last time I checked, God wasn't on the ticket.

13. Florence, SC

Now she wants God to help her after she put out such a negative campaign. I'm sure God would be so please to see you she has lied and mislead this country in order to gain political success. Do us REAL Christians a favor and leave God out of your mudslinging negative campaign.

14. Coherent1

Palin, I'm a believer too. But if you believe for one minute, by stealing the election in favor of McCain and you, that it's Godly intervention, you my dear are sadly twisted and mistaken. You can't utter lies and deceit out of one side of your mouth and ask God to intervene on your behalf out of the other side of your mouth. But yes, I agree, may our creator expose those who attempt to wrong the people of their voice for their own selfish political gain, whichever side it may impact. Right back atcha!

15. Howard Hewlett

Does that mean if McCain and Palin lose God will strike us down?

When Obama wins this election he needs to send a thank-you card to Sarah Palin. I have been door knocking all over Des Moines on behalf of Barack Obama and all those Repulicans that are voting for Obama have said that Palin is one of the primary reasons why they have made the switch.

Thank you Sarah for I am sure you don't realize but you gave the election to the Dems!!!

16. Bill from Walla Walla

I would love for religion not to be a dividing issue in just one election. In every branch of main-stream Christendom to which I am familiar, the doctrine teaches us to love our fellow brothers, not to use our faith as a means of self-elevation or an apparatus of social distinction – -

17. OBAMA SUPPORTER IN IOWA

I hope she'll accept God's will when Obama wins the election. Who is she to believe she knows God's will and others don't? I'm a Christian and she doesn't speak for me.

18. Jeff, OR

"Sarah Palin told Dr. James Dobson of “Focus on the Family” that she is confident God will do “the right thing for America” on Nov. 4."

I whole-heartedly agree, Sarah. It's the first honest thing you've said all week.

Barack Obama is honest and faithful, a good Christian family man, and the right thing will happen when he gets elected to the office of President of the United States.

Though I agree that God loves all of mankind regardless of denomination, you may have to answer for some of the dishonesty that you've been responsible of spreading in the last several weeks....

October 22, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  19. A Christian?

I am sorry Ms. Palin. I am a Christian too but using God as a means to make you look righteous and that He favors you over Sen Obama is hyprocritical. You remind me of those Pharisees that Jesus rebuked. They all want to show their being holy and closer to God but their hearts were full of evil and malice. God can see through you so don't "betcha" that He will be on your side after all the devisive and false testimonies you did just to gain the votes.

October 22, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  20. er74

Sarah, enough! I can't stand you anymore. Can't wait until the election is over and you pack and leave to Alaska so you can abuse all the power you want.

You are desperate and last resource is to play the God card. Democratic people are not the enemy, we are not evil.I am a Christian. I hate so much how something as beautiful as Jesus and Christianity is transformed by people like you into weapons of deep manipulation, brainwashing and forces to push your personal agendas. Keep God away from your speech, show some respect for him and stick to politics and issues. You are just a disgrace to the republican party. Get the hell back to wherever you came from.

October 22, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  21. chris24

God?

give me a break.

October 22, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  22. andno

Maybe God is the reason Obama is up 9 points.

Ever think of that, Sarah?

October 22, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  23. arthur

Aren't there Democrats, supporters of Obama, who are also praying to the same God that He intervenes on their behalf too? Or are prayer warriors only among Republicans

October 22, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  24. Jackie

GOD DOESNOT CHEAT AND IS IMPARTIAL. HE WON'T GIVE OBAMA'S HARDWORK AND VICTOTY TO MCCAIN.
    MAY GOD CROWN YOUR EFFORT SEN. OBAMA, AND GIVE YOU THE VICTORY YOU DESERVE. I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU.

October 22, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  25. George

We can take some consolation in the fact that God is far more just than Palin and Dobson realize.

October 22, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |