October 23rd, 2008

Former Bush aide voting for Obama

CNN

Watch McCllellan on D.L. Hughley Breaks the News.

(CNN) - Scott McClellan, the former White House press secretary who sharply criticized President Bush in his memoir last spring, told CNN Thursday he's voting for Barack Obama.

"From the very beginning I have said I am going to support the candidate that has the best chance for changing the way Washington works and getting things done and I will be voting for Barack Obama and clapping," McClellan told new CNN Host D.L. Hughley

McClellan, a onetime Bush loyalist whose scathing critique of the president sent shock waves across Washington last spring, has long hinted he was leaning toward the Illinois senator.

"It's a message that is very similar to the one that Gov. Bush ran on in 2000," McClellan said in May about Obama's campaign.

McClellan isn't the first member of Bush's inner circle to express support for Obama. In 2007, former Bush strategist Matt Dowd also said he had become disillusioned with the president and said Obama was the only candidate that appealed to him.

The full interview will air on D.L. Hugley's new show, D.L. Hughley Breaks the News, Saturday at 10 p.m. ET. Hughley is also a guest of Larry King Live Friday at 9 p.m. ET.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Extra
  1. Phoenix

God watches out for you when you're right. I'm sorry, but I must say this, and I know my comment will be attacked. I have been praying for Senator Obama because I don't want him to be the Democrats president, I want him to be everyone's president in spite of race, political affiliation, etc. I don't mind Obama's policies being attacked, but I have a problem with the level of hatred being thrown at this young man. Even in the last post, yet again, Palin is race baiting trying to make Americans feel that something bad will happen if that "black" man (cause that's what she's really saying) is elected. Honey, God specializes when your enemies think that they have you down. I am praying for this country, and for Senator Obama to be a leader that can be God's tool to heal this land.

October 23, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  2. Scott Schmidt

As a public relations guy, I can usually tell when a fellow PR person is doing the best they can, but understands that the message they are conveying is full of holes. That was how McClellan was as Bush's press secretary. I could tell from the way he answered questions that he knew he was working for the wrong guy. A lot of conservatives now criticize him as a cowardly traitor, and many liberals are wary of him... But I say it's better to once have been full of it and admit you were doing it to pay the bills, than to be so full of it your whole life and never admit you were wrong.

October 23, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  3. Richmond

Nadeem ur stupid. first of all it's not your money nor tax-payers money. its money from the RNC which was donated by private donors. second of all she had no idea how much those clothing were and even if she did so what? I'm sick and tired of you liberal loving Obama supporters out there who know nothing about his policys yet you are on a hunt for Sara Palin. get a break and get over yourself you liberal idiots.

October 23, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  4. Patricia

I never thought I would see a campaign more negative than that of pres. Bush! But McCain / Palin have proved me wrong. What are they going try next.

October 23, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  5. Palin what books do you read? Gosh dang it, another gotcha question.

12 more days and Joe six pack and Joe the Plumber will be out of business.

October 23, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  6. a southern bell for OBAMA

IF BUSH HAS ANY SENSE, HE WILL VOTE FOR OBAMA.

October 23, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  7. Annie, Atlanta

He seemed troubled with what was going on in the White House during interviews after he wrote his book. Good for him.

I am supporting Obama and Biden this year because I don't think our financial health (including mine) can withstand another four years of trickle down economics, which McCain seems to be hanging onto for dear life. Giving to the wealthy in hopes it will trickle down seems absurd at this point. Time for something new. What have we got to lose?

October 23, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  8. Morgan

"I am so mad about Palin using part of the $150,000 dollars that americans gaver her to buy a $4,000 Louis Vutton purse for her sever year old."

She's already been found to have abused her power in Alaska so this is not shocking. She has a pattern of power tripping along with the first dude. It's no wonder Republicans want to vote for Obama.

October 23, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  9. Josh

It aint about GOP!

It aint about DEM's!

It's about putting country first!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember people Obama is the one who turned down a wall st. job to help out a community who just lost their job!

Now that is country first in my book!!!

October 23, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  10. PA Matt

At least these former Bush supporters can man up and and vote for the better man, even it if means alienating yourself from their party. I get the feeling his change to Sen. Obama might have something to do with his choice of running mate Gov. Sarah Failin.

October 23, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  11. Aviate

Great news. At this rate, even Cheney and Rove will be voting Obama! McCain will be lucky if he can hold onto Cindy's vote!

October 23, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  12. America or Bust

Obama/Biden 08

Vote people. Vote for Obama, and vote big.

Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, Ohio, Colorada, New Mexico–don't let us down !!!!!

October 23, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  13. jm from sc

Awesome!!! There will be many more moving over to Obama/Biden.

October 23, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  14. JJ

Powell..McClellan...Dowd....are now openly supporting Obama, and I'm sure there are many many who will vote that way in privacy too.
    Not to worry nadeem,Sarah palin is simply the worst kind of opprtunist who would have joined ranks of anyone who would further her career.

October 23, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  15. jean Greer

Only twelve more days to go and we will have either a Senator McCain
    or Senator Oboma in the drivers seat. Either way we will have a change. Thats what we all want. Right?

October 23, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  16. I Just Said Thanks, but No Thanks to Another 4 Years of g.o.p. corruption, arrogance and incompetence

Louis Vuiton bag for Piper, how cute.
    Yes, Palin speaks for the average "Joe".

Scott McClellan: Better late, than never. Welcome aboard the "O-B" train.

Another moderate Republican who's upset with the negativity of the present "Rushpublican" party.

October 23, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  17. Kate Fergus

This vote is coming from someone who had access to the inside workings of the Bush administration. McCain is part of that administration. Obama clearly reflects the change that is needed.

Obama/Biden '08

October 23, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. Marva

IT HURTS , IT HURTS SO BAD.

OBAMA / BIDEN '08

October 23, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  19. Marcia

And Hillary and Bill vote for McCain.

October 23, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  20. PA Matt

Can you say " Obama Republicans"

October 23, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  21. Natalie

Hooray for Scott McClellan! He must feel good about cleaning out his conscience. I do empathize with conservatives who feel betrayed by the Republican Party. I know quite a few. It's become a party of extremists and zealots who have forgotten the guiding principles of the GOP, lower taxes and small government. There is no place for moderate conservatives any more. It looks like the Democratic party is becoming the "Thinking Man's Party." I just hope Barack Obama and Joe Biden don't squander their political capital. It's been hard to win, but it'll be easy to lose.

Good luck, and vote your conscience. It's not about voting for the winning team. It's about voting for the team with whom we'll all win.

October 23, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  22. Cindy Nelson

Another one coming over~
    Hopefully many more. Maybe even President Bush will vote for Obama.
    Next Karl Rove will be voting for Obama... ha ha ha!

October 23, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  23. Tulsa

the people are going to show this country that we want a change from the last 8 years.........when Bush's own people start supporting Obama, what does that tell McCain? I think McCain is to old, I want someone with a steady hand and MIND..........Go Obama

October 23, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  24. Abu Mboka, Turlock, CA

What a true so of the great soil of America!. Using your vote to better your nation and its people, unit, and to say no to racial discremination etc, is beautiful!

October 23, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  25. It's Time

It's time for a change. Change from the SOS.

1. We are not following for the lies anymore.
    2. We have to start looking to the future to fix what has happened in the past.
    3. It's time out for dirty politics and division in this country.
    4. We are the hard working Americans that need a break – need a piece of America.
    5. We are the waitresses, janitors, secretaries, bank tellers, security guards, grocery store clerks that work twice has hard as the big "CEOs" that sit behind a desk and make decisions. Yet we get paid less and less as taxes go up.

It's time America! It's our time!

Vote for the right change: Obama/Biden 08'

October 23, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |