October 23rd, 2008

Palin changes tune on 'feminist' label

Palin told Katie Couric last month she considers herself a feminist.
Palin told Katie Couric last month she considers herself a feminist.

BEAVER, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Does Sarah Palin consider herself a feminist? It depends on which network anchor is asking.

In an interview on NBC Nightly News that aired Thursday, host Brian Williams asked Palin: "Governor, are you a feminist?"

"I'm not gonna label myself anything, Brian," she responded. "And I think that's what annoys a lot of Americans, especially in a political campaign, is to start trying to label different parts of America different, different backgrounds, different … I'm not going to put a label on myself. "

The vice presidential nominee said she believes in women's rights and equal rights. Palin went on to say that when she was growing up in Alaska, she "was expected to do the same thing that the guys were doing."

"I'm not going label myself feminist or not," she concluded, "but I do believe that American women can recognize in me an advocate and a friend. And I want to be in the White House for them."

But Palin gave a different answer in September when Katie Couric of CBS News asked her, "Do you consider yourself a feminist?"

"I do," Palin answered. "I'm a feminist who believes in equal rights and I believe that women certainly today have every opportunity that a man has to succeed, and to try to do it all, anyway."

In that sit-down, Palin told Couric she defines a feminist as "someone who believes in equal rights. Someone who would not stand for oppression against women."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Ray

So, let us believe that someone who does not believe in abortion or entirely agree with our views cannot be an advocate of women's rights. I am so impressed with the brain power that flows through this blog.

October 24, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  2. Bill

She flip-flops like a fish out of water.

October 24, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  3. dmg

Does this woman's children go to school? The furture son-n-law dropped out to go to work, her daughter's not in school? maybe she should try becomming a roll model before she get's confused about wether she's a feminist or not

October 24, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  4. Will the Real Maverick Please Stand Up?

Sarah, I can think of some labels for you:
    -Unethical
    -Liar
    -Idiot
    -Hypocrite
    -Imbecile
    -Crook
    -Dishonest
    -Not honorable
    -Dangerous

Obama/Biden '08

October 24, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  5. North Atlanta GA

When McSame decides to do a postmortem after the Obama victory, he will see that his biggest problem is having a consistent theme. McSame we are not stupid. Everyday with you, there is a new drama, a new lie, a new claim, a new makeover, a new stunt, a new anything goes. I'm so tried of your BS. I just want a new president and you are not it. If I could describe your campaign in terms of a movie, I would call it "The Horror Show" unsuitable for anybody to see.

October 24, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  6. MikeH

SHELL 1313, I'm surprised they posted your metaphorical allegory.

They don't post hardly any of my comments, mostly because I allude to CNN's being a covert Republican propaganda mouthpiece.

October 24, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  7. HouseDiva

Sara Palin doesn't even know what an elitist is; when she's sitting next to one in an interview.(john McCain)

why cant she do an interview without her John???

her husband gives me the creeps....there's something shady in his eyes.

October 24, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  8. jm from sc

To: P Brown – Football mom, career woman, etc,

All of that BS is just a way to keep Obama from becoming president. If there were any truth to any of that, it would be used. You can bet your life on that.

Years ago, they used guns, water hoses and all kinds of violent attacks to avoid a person of color gaining equal rights. Now, because there are so many protection laws along with the fact that people aren't afraid to fight back, they use lies to keep the division going.

Obama/Biden 08

October 24, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  9. cmars

So denying women the right to choose isn't denying them rights?

And did she really say people don't like hearing places, people, backgrounds, labeled different? That's what her ENTIRE campaign has been about! Obama, "Pro-America", COME ON!

These two clowns are contradicting themselves left right and centre. And then they have the gall to go and say things like this, and think the American people are stupid enough to fall for it. Prove them wrong, deny them the chance to screw the country for another 4 years!

October 24, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  10. Justin

I can't believe there are people out there that like this women! She is such a fake person! what happens if she were to become president? That is a very scary thought!

October 24, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  11. Magg38

Rose Black; S Palin is sooooooooooo much more qualified that B Hussin Obama. He only has community organization under his belt. SPalin is Governor og Alaska and prior to that, other qualifiying positions which Obbama does not have. You have to be inteligent to do that. I guess that leaves you know who out. If and when he is tested as his runing vp Bidin states he will, perhaps Obama will get us all organized to help him make a decision for We The People of this Great nation. We need Obama's backgrouhnd checked out, what his grads were and ext, My gosh people the presidency is not a Walmart job.

October 24, 2008 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  12. Yessenia Rivera

I wonder why the media no longer make fun of her.... she is giving more interviews, but she is still mumbling around the answers, not really making a clear point, and in broken English. It looks that because she overcame expectations in the VP debate, she was cleared to go on record talking non-sense.... really, the only thing she knows how to do really well is to attack Obama, and she seems to enjoy it as well, but when the question is geared to subjects of substance, she is an empty suit. I am no longer amused by her stupidity... really. I now change the channel whenever I see her on the news. I really want Nov 4th to be over so we can move on with our lives, and hopefully Obama and his team will start working on putting our country back on the right path.

October 24, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  13. Tired of blams

It amazes me to see what people blame McCain for. He must be a big strong figure or els people would not continue to attack him verbally.

October 24, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  14. Enough

hurriCAIN Palin
    You really need to seek professional help

October 24, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  15. Citizen

How can a woman who can't even organise her family , become a VP. This is where we can see the decisions of McSame. Palin is just scary. How can American present itself to the World when McCain wins.
    God forbid.

October 24, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  16. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

As a woman who fought hard during the 1960's and 1970's to give the likes of Sarah Palin the opportunities she enjoys today, this woman is writhing in the bottom of the snake pit, in my opinion.

She is NOT a feminist, she has no idea what a "feminist" is, she has reaped all the benefits that those women like me have worked so hard for, and she dare not compare herself to us.

October 24, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  17. Robin

Palin doesn't want to use labels? Then what was all this talk about her being a Maverick, a Reformer, a Hockey Mom, and a Pit bull in Lipstick?

Oh that's right it was just a clever facade, she squanders money, and abuses power. In FACT! She is the poster child politician of who McCain campaign wanted to reform.

The irony of it all...

October 24, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  18. m c

Sarah Palin resonates with most American women, because she IS like most American women-hard-working, and family-oriented. She manages a career AND a family. Isn't that what the feminist movement was REALLY about. People-stop this ridiculous business that she is not smart. Listen to her speak, for God's sake, then listen to Joe Biden. Biden does not make sense, he rants. Obama goes on and on and says NOTHING. My husband and I both hold master degrees, so we are fairly intelligent and we see McCain/Palin as genuine and intelligent and Obama/Biden as the exact opposite.

October 24, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  19. Paradise

John McCain has gone Nickelodeon on the campaign trail. Featuring characters like:
    1. Sam Wurzelbacher as Joe the plumber
    2. Sarah Palin as Dora the Explorer
    3. Joe Lieberman as Bob the builder
    4. RNC as Wonderpets

Whats gonna work, Team work

October 24, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  20. DK(@)AZ

Never met a 150,000 dollar feminist who fires people for no apparent reason and lies about it. A feminist who hides the FACT that her daughter had a child and she is pawing it off as her own. A feminist who cannot control her own kids, but loves to hunt animals from aircraft. She may not be afeminist, but there are alot of things wrong with Sarah.Palin!

October 24, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  21. djak

So typical. Change your opinion depending on whom you're speaking with. How's about standing up for your beliefs chickie?

October 24, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  22. Kim

She'll say whatever she has to. That much is clear.

October 24, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  23. Darryl

This lady career is over after this campaign. She will be the laughing stock of all Govenors in america. the People of Alaska will IMPEACH her seeing her for the fool she really is.

Senator John McCain need to tell all of those who contributed to his Campaign that he mess up by selecting Gov. Sarah Palin..

You know how you feel if you took a women on a date and bought her nice things and dated for long time and thought you was getting something once you get her home. Once home you find out she is really a he and you got nothing...... Well here's Sarah.. She the nothing and guess what she cost you the election Johnny boy..

October 24, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  24. PDX Gal

No Way.
    No How.
    No Palin.

Women for Obama/Biden

October 24, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  25. Rob

Let me get this straight, the 'Maverick', 'Hockey Mom', 'Joe-Six-Pack' candidate doesn't want to label herself. Does anybody else see a problem here?

October 24, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |