October 23rd, 2008

Palin changes tune on 'feminist' label

Palin told Katie Couric last month she considers herself a feminist.
Palin told Katie Couric last month she considers herself a feminist.

BEAVER, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Does Sarah Palin consider herself a feminist? It depends on which network anchor is asking.

In an interview on NBC Nightly News that aired Thursday, host Brian Williams asked Palin: "Governor, are you a feminist?"

"I'm not gonna label myself anything, Brian," she responded. "And I think that's what annoys a lot of Americans, especially in a political campaign, is to start trying to label different parts of America different, different backgrounds, different … I'm not going to put a label on myself. "

The vice presidential nominee said she believes in women's rights and equal rights. Palin went on to say that when she was growing up in Alaska, she "was expected to do the same thing that the guys were doing."

"I'm not going label myself feminist or not," she concluded, "but I do believe that American women can recognize in me an advocate and a friend. And I want to be in the White House for them."

But Palin gave a different answer in September when Katie Couric of CBS News asked her, "Do you consider yourself a feminist?"

"I do," Palin answered. "I'm a feminist who believes in equal rights and I believe that women certainly today have every opportunity that a man has to succeed, and to try to do it all, anyway."

In that sit-down, Palin told Couric she defines a feminist as "someone who believes in equal rights. Someone who would not stand for oppression against women."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. James

She doesn't know what she is, unless somebody tells her.

October 23, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  2. Curtis - Marietta, GA

I'm so sick of this woman. One day she's this, another day she is this. How many days now until this is over, 12? Is it possible to sleep for 12 days and avoid what other crap she comes up with until then?

October 23, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  3. Will the real OBAMA STAND UP

Why do instances such as this make headlines CNN??? You are so in the bag for OBAMA it isn't funny.

This is a much bigger issue, but hardly covered..

Did Obama change his tax plan just days before the election?
    The Verdict: True.

That is an issue.. not about weather someone thinks she's a feminist.
    CNN- you should be ashamed..

October 23, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  4. (Former) Lifelong Republican for Obama, Columbia, TN

Palin is a pseduo-feminist. She is a woman who, in a leadership role, attempts to set female progression in America back several decades. With Palin in power, women should expect progress to halt and remain static or, worse yet, devolve.

October 23, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  5. Chaco

HAHAHAHAH – really, seriously...Palin said she doesn't like to label people, parts of the country?
    So, calling Obama a terrorist pal and Greensboro NC 'real America, pro-American', calling the East Coast 'elitists'....She is a regular Dymo Label Maker!! I'm still laughing at this

October 23, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  6. Dan

Here we go again. This is like a BAD soap opera that we have been forced to watch till Nov-4. I had to get it over with today and voted for the folks who will move our country forward. Vote OBAMA-BIDEN.

Palin has not bought forth any NEW or BRILLIANT or even positive ideas. All she blabs from her moving lipstick are ugly,divisive and untrue statements. Attack dog- yes she is. Smart – She is not.

We have seen what happens when we are governed by people who are not Smart. BE WISE!

October 23, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  7. Perla

Ms. Palin's extremist views on abortion make her anything but a friend to women. The last thing we need is a theocrat reversing Roe v. Wade and ruling over our reproductive lives. Abortion is a complicated issue in so many ways, and each woman should be able to make her own decisions with her doctor.

October 23, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  8. Jizzcannon

She doesn't really have any position on this, she just says what she thinks poeple want to hear or what her handlers coach her to say. Cardboard cutout...not a true candidate by any stretch of the imagination.

October 23, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  9. what?

lady you certainly don't represent me.

October 23, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  10. mik

palin doesn't want to be labeled, but she sure does a good job labeling others.

if palin doesn't get elected, she should join fox. they love her there.

October 23, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  11. Cathy

Sarah Palin believes what she is told to believe.

October 23, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  12. Obama is for UNITING of the PEOPLE

And I want to be in the White House........if that mean flip flopping and ditch McCain on the curb!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 23, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  13. Dixie

As Bugs Bunny says: "What a maroon (moron)"

October 23, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  14. Sandy

Hmmmmm...well which one is it Palin, you make me wonder why you accepted to be the McCain choice for VP, a skirt and a smile will not get you in.

October 23, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  15. Frank from Peterborough

She should just describe herself as an air head since that something everyone can believe and she won't get caught in a lie.

Imagine this could be your President. You betcha.

October 23, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  16. Lee

What was it that McCain said today? Oh yeah...

"Obama will say anything to get elected".

This is vintage Karl Rove; blame your opponent for everything you do wrong.

I am still waiting on CNN to call Sarah Palin out on her ties with the Alaskan Independence Party!

October 23, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  17. republicans hate america

so Joe Six Pack and Maverick label was all just a gimmick too?

October 23, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  18. yeah right

150,00 worth of clothes and make-up, lady you certainly don't represent me.

October 23, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  19. Lee

She probably doesn't have any idea what a feminist is.

October 23, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  20. yielee

Sarah your a idot!

October 23, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  21. davit

Nice to know that she doesn't believe in labels. This coming from a woman who has painted her opponents with every label under the sun. I cannot wait until the clock runs out on this vile hypocrite and her fifteen minutes of fame.

October 23, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  22. New Day

You gotta hand it to Palin. She's got some gall!!!!! SHE SPENT THE ENTIRE CAMPAIGN LABELING AMERICA!!! This Northeast Liberal "Anti-American" elite (as she likes to call us) is amazed at how two-faced this woman can be.

October 23, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  23. independent

Stupid

October 23, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  24. New Zealand

Are people blind and stupid? This woman is incredibly laughable..

Quote:

Go back a week or so..

Quote:
    "We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard-working, very patriotic, very pro-America areas of this great nation,"

October 23, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  25. Jen, California

--------------–
    ME, TOO, SARAH! EQUAL RIGHTS! YOU GO, GIRL! YOU'RE LIVING IT! I ADMIRE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The old "feminists" - and the "drive-by media" entrenched in their PUTRID "Obama Mania" - are nothing more than a bunch of dried-up old hags, holding onto their particular version of "feminism" of the 60s and 70s.

GO McCain/Palin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - for restored sanity and honor in our great U.S.A.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 23, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |