October 23rd, 2008

Palin changes tune on 'feminist' label

Palin told Katie Couric last month she considers herself a feminist.
Palin told Katie Couric last month she considers herself a feminist.

BEAVER, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Does Sarah Palin consider herself a feminist? It depends on which network anchor is asking.

In an interview on NBC Nightly News that aired Thursday, host Brian Williams asked Palin: "Governor, are you a feminist?"

"I'm not gonna label myself anything, Brian," she responded. "And I think that's what annoys a lot of Americans, especially in a political campaign, is to start trying to label different parts of America different, different backgrounds, different … I'm not going to put a label on myself. "

The vice presidential nominee said she believes in women's rights and equal rights. Palin went on to say that when she was growing up in Alaska, she "was expected to do the same thing that the guys were doing."

"I'm not going label myself feminist or not," she concluded, "but I do believe that American women can recognize in me an advocate and a friend. And I want to be in the White House for them."

But Palin gave a different answer in September when Katie Couric of CBS News asked her, "Do you consider yourself a feminist?"

"I do," Palin answered. "I'm a feminist who believes in equal rights and I believe that women certainly today have every opportunity that a man has to succeed, and to try to do it all, anyway."

In that sit-down, Palin told Couric she defines a feminist as "someone who believes in equal rights. Someone who would not stand for oppression against women."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Anonymous

IF YOU WALK LIKE MOOSE, SOUND LIKE MOOSE,PLAY LIKE MOOSE THEN YOU ARE A MOOSE. SO PALIN IS A MOOSE

October 24, 2008 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  2. Luke Brown

It's amazing. The same GOP crowd that did McCain in 2000, convinced him he needed Palin on his ticket in 2008. Wow! They did him in twice.

October 24, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  3. quinton

She's right. She just uses stereotypes that's all.

October 24, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  4. dejavu

if you talk like a moose, walk like moose, eat like moose, sound like moose, stay with the moose then you are a moose.paylin is a moose

October 24, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  5. Steve

If this winking flirt with troglodyte politics ever wins national office, it'll set feminism back fifty years.

October 24, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  6. Tamara/ Arizona

To Charlie Bradley, We can only hope. I'm amazed that she has made it this far without getting caught up. I for one will move my family to Canada if that woman is elected.

October 24, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  7. Arizonan for Obama/Biden

I'm not a socialists I'm just anti-facism.

Obama/Biden 08

October 24, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  8. dejavu

i dont believe this story of a woman attacked is genuine, it is a smoke screen. shaun Hanity wants wants to turn the page!!!!!!!! he is loosing

October 24, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  9. Glb

Mc Cain/Palin rules

October 24, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  10. An actual thinker

She doesn't believe in labeling things? You mean like the Real America and Anti-America? Oh wait...

October 24, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  11. George the writer

Feminist or not, she is going to be a loser come November 4th.

October 24, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  12. Roy

John McCain & Sarah Palin are not trustworthy just like President Bush & Vice President Cheney.

Sarsh Palin used campaign contributions - part of it government campaign funding - to buy $150,000 of designer fashions and baby clothes at New York's fanciest department stores - Neiman Marcus ($75,062.63 in one shopping spree), Saks Fifth Avenue ($49,425.74), and Bloomingdales (a mere $5,102.71). That doesn't count the $4,716.49 she spent on hair and makeup in September alone. Baby Trig got a mere $295.00 at Pacifier and Steiniauf and Stroller, Inc.

We DON'T want her as VP otherwise she would continue to have wild shopping spree with out taxpayers money. She is NUTS.

October 24, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  13. dejavu

i doubt even whether palin went to any school, she cant even answer a very straight question of any nature without attacking obama. how pathetic is that?

October 24, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  14. Proud to be a feminist

Palin doesn't believe in labels? I was under the impresson that she got a lot of labels for $150,000. Maybe the problem is that she covets the wrong labels.

October 24, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  15. Roy

Sarsh Palin used campaign contributions — part of it government campaign funding — to buy $150,000 of designer fashions and baby clothes at New York's fanciest department stores — Neiman Marcus ($75,062.63 in one shopping spree), Saks Fifth Avenue ($49,425.74), and Bloomingdales (a mere $5,102.71). That doesn't count the $4,716.49 she spent on hair and makeup in September alone. Baby Trig got a mere $295.00 at Pacifier and Steiniauf and Stroller, Inc.

We DON'T want her as VP otherwise she would continue to have wild shopping spree with OUR taxpayers money. She is NUTS.

October 24, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  16. obamas gonna win

She is such a joke!

October 24, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  17. Renee

This woman don't make sense when she speaks No Mcain No Palin

October 24, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  18. obamas gonna win

all she does is tap dance and she isn't a very good dancer.

October 24, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  19. F K

Palin should be rocking the cradle not trying to rock the world. Go home and be a mother. I think your kids need you, not us. And I'm not even American, yet you scare a lot of us here in Canada.

October 24, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  20. dejavu

this sara palin has a very limited vocablary and she is naturaly dumb. even if the question is Governor ! which is your favorite snack? she will be quick to say that i have enough excutive experience than BRACK OBAMA.AND I AM AN ENERGY EXPERT, I ALWAYS EAT SNACKS THAT CAN GIVE ME ENERGY INDEPENDENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 24, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  21. Vik

All McCain and Palin do is bring out the worst qualities in people.

October 24, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  22. J. Boucher

We will not be watching CN any longer it is clear you have became one sided and Drew owes Governor Palin more than excuses! This is sorry behavier and this is the behavier that comes from MSNBC!

October 24, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  23. Todd Palin

The vice president has nothing to do with the Whitehouse. This woman is power drunk. Or drunk.

October 24, 2008 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  24. Real Mavericks are Independent

Palin can't decide who she is her handlers keep getting her to change and when they are done, she may not even be consider a woman anymore!

October 24, 2008 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  25. hanna

Someone please ask Governor Palin to stop wearing the polar bear pin! She is the last person who should wear anything do to with the polar bear. She couldn't care less about these beautiful animals – only oil and filling her pockets! Sarah Palin, stop wearing the polar bear pin!

October 24, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |