October 23rd, 2008

Palin changes tune on 'feminist' label

Palin told Katie Couric last month she considers herself a feminist.
Palin told Katie Couric last month she considers herself a feminist.

BEAVER, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Does Sarah Palin consider herself a feminist? It depends on which network anchor is asking.

In an interview on NBC Nightly News that aired Thursday, host Brian Williams asked Palin: "Governor, are you a feminist?"

"I'm not gonna label myself anything, Brian," she responded. "And I think that's what annoys a lot of Americans, especially in a political campaign, is to start trying to label different parts of America different, different backgrounds, different … I'm not going to put a label on myself. "

The vice presidential nominee said she believes in women's rights and equal rights. Palin went on to say that when she was growing up in Alaska, she "was expected to do the same thing that the guys were doing."

"I'm not going label myself feminist or not," she concluded, "but I do believe that American women can recognize in me an advocate and a friend. And I want to be in the White House for them."

But Palin gave a different answer in September when Katie Couric of CBS News asked her, "Do you consider yourself a feminist?"

"I do," Palin answered. "I'm a feminist who believes in equal rights and I believe that women certainly today have every opportunity that a man has to succeed, and to try to do it all, anyway."

In that sit-down, Palin told Couric she defines a feminist as "someone who believes in equal rights. Someone who would not stand for oppression against women."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. RACHEL

Does this woman have a straight answer for anything?

October 23, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  2. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Sheesh.

Ms. Palin is VERY GOOD at speaking from BOTH sides of her mouth.

MS. PALIN: YOU ARE PLAYED OUT!

October 23, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  3. Diane Dagenais Turbide

People are not looking up to politicians who changes their definition of who they are depending on where and to whom they are speaking to just to gain votes!

October 23, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  4. Michelle

Says the Hockey Mom, Maverick, and pit bull with lipstick! Come on Sarah be honest! My label for you is GIMMICK!

October 23, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  5. Frank, Dayton, Ohio

Gov. Palin is "not willing to label" herself (at least at this sitting), but she is willing to label Barack Obama a "socialist."

October 23, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  6. Bulldog

She labels herself as everything else so what's the problem now? She says "I'm not gonna label myself anything" but she has labeled herself as "Joe Six Pack", "maverick", "average hockey mom" and on and on. This lady is clearly lost and was thrown into a campaign way over her head. She can cry wolf as much as she wants but it is very clear she was and is not ready to be even close to a Presidential campaign. She needs to spend the next 4 years in Alaska prepping herself for 2012.

October 23, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  7. Ons

If she ever understood how the economy works, she stands for Wall street while people in Main street are loosing homes through foreclosures, people working double shift-nothing wrong with working double shifts but what if that’s all you do without spending time with your family, she’s does not portray her self like though cookie Mum,
    -She could be advocating for equal pays
    -She could be advocating for Main street bail out or just a relieve
    Maybe because Alaska pays for her kids going round even to uninvited function that might be why, Joe Biden understands more the kind of conversation that goes a round the kitchen table than she does
    So Go Obama and Joe

October 23, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  8. kescia

Someone told her what a feminist is.

October 23, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  9. LOOL.

LABEL DIFFERENT PARTS OF AMERICA = "PRO-AMERICA" comment she made.
    LABEL ON HERSELF = "HOCKEY MOM, MAVERICK, REFORMER, FEMENIST"
    OH PLEASE PALIN.

please do post this CNN!

October 23, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  10. former gop

Okay, let me answer this – HELL NO, she's not a feminist. Feminists care about their sisterhood. Feminists don't WORK TO TAKE AWAY THE RIGHTS OF OTHER WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT WOMAN WOULD VOTE FOR THIS WOMAN!?

October 23, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  11. PUMBU

The dumbest she can get, she doesn't remember her answers now. McCAIN is the one who is willing to say and do anything to get elected. I"m tired of this dumb stuff.

October 23, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  12. Brandon in Indiana

Hypocrite.

October 23, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  13. hilirie klinten

Wow thats the last straw. I'm voting for that nice guy thats visiting his grandma. You know, the one all the reporters are voting for.
    Keep up the good work.

October 23, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  14. Joe

Doesn't believe in labels, yeah right. She doesn't seem to have a problem insinuating that certain people are socialists.

October 23, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  15. Kaleena

Then why is Palin trying to oppress women?

She's such a moron, it's unbelievable.

The fact that the Alaskans actually voted her in means I don't ever want to go there.

And if Americans vote her in, I'm moving to Europe.

October 23, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  16. JL

When will this ridiculous display of ignorance end??

A Feminist (yes-I have a clear understanding of such) for Obama-Biden!!

October 23, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  17. LINDA PIERCE

SO WHY CAN'T OBAMA SHOW US HIS REAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE. WHAT ARE YOU HIDING OBAMA? PROVE TO US YOU ARE AN AMERICAN CITIZEN.

October 23, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  18. Sarah- ARIZONA

She does not believe in womens rights.

She charged rape victims for the forensic exams (rape exams). Shame on her.

She will not be an advocate for women in the white house.

oh and if ur raped, ur not allowed to take the morning after pill in her administration and if u get pregnant expect to remain pregnant.

not even in the case of rape/incest does she believe a woman has a right to choose.

Im pro-life but her stance on womens issues go way tooooo far

VOTE OBAMA 08 for WOMENS RIGHTS

October 23, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  19. Blue By You

FLIP-FLOPPER

October 23, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  20. Grep

She doesnt want to label americans different but thats just what she did on the campaign trail

October 23, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  21. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

It's easy to flip-flop when you're impulsive, erratic, and operating without principle, always on your own behalf. America, meet the real Sarah Palin.

October 23, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  22. mitch

she wears baby polar bear mittens.

October 23, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  23. Larry

Of course she changes tune on 'feminist" just like she does on a whole range of things, and just like her political mentor Sen McCain. The McCain-Palin ticket is completely bankrupt of ideas and it would be the most unfortunate thing for America if they were to win the whitehouse.

October 23, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  24. AMERICAN

Wow...her kids must hate to go to school, or anywhere else where it's known that she is their mother...what a pathethic woman.

October 23, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  25. Palin' around in Texas

Somebody please help this lady back across the street to Alaska!!!

October 23, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |