October 23rd, 2008

Palin changes tune on 'feminist' label

Palin told Katie Couric last month she considers herself a feminist.
Palin told Katie Couric last month she considers herself a feminist.

BEAVER, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Does Sarah Palin consider herself a feminist? It depends on which network anchor is asking.

In an interview on NBC Nightly News that aired Thursday, host Brian Williams asked Palin: "Governor, are you a feminist?"

"I'm not gonna label myself anything, Brian," she responded. "And I think that's what annoys a lot of Americans, especially in a political campaign, is to start trying to label different parts of America different, different backgrounds, different … I'm not going to put a label on myself. "

The vice presidential nominee said she believes in women's rights and equal rights. Palin went on to say that when she was growing up in Alaska, she "was expected to do the same thing that the guys were doing."

"I'm not going label myself feminist or not," she concluded, "but I do believe that American women can recognize in me an advocate and a friend. And I want to be in the White House for them."

But Palin gave a different answer in September when Katie Couric of CBS News asked her, "Do you consider yourself a feminist?"

"I do," Palin answered. "I'm a feminist who believes in equal rights and I believe that women certainly today have every opportunity that a man has to succeed, and to try to do it all, anyway."

In that sit-down, Palin told Couric she defines a feminist as "someone who believes in equal rights. Someone who would not stand for oppression against women."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. hl

sarah palin acts like a buffoon during interviews. give it up!

OBAMA 08

October 23, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  2. BOOTSTOMPER

What a pandering sleaze.

October 23, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  3. No Way, No How, No Mccain

Does Gov. Palin ever remember what she says at times? May be Katie Curric had her under pressure as McPalin claimed from past interviews. Or may be she was prompted to say anything to get women votes for Senator McCain presidency.

October 23, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  4. Tiff of lithia springs

To bad she doesn't believe in a women and that womens family's right to choose.

GOP doesn't believe in big govt but all of a sudden they want the govt to get in a very personal decision.

That is a decision between the woman her family and GOD. Government but the heck OUT!!!!

That is probably the most backward platform the GOP has.

October 23, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  5. KJL

She is against reproductive rights, including access to information, so she is no friend of women. Palin will say she is whatever you want her to be to get your vote. Manipulative, not feminist.

October 23, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  6. what do you expect

What do you expect. She has had 2 months of indoctrination in the Carl Rove school of politics.

October 23, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  7. Chris

When she does decide to answer a question she can never get her facts straight or give the same answer twice. One day she a feminist the next day she isn't. Which is it? After all these months campaigning she still doesn't know what teh roll of the VP is. Why can't she get it right, even a group of third grader got it right. This women is involed in two different investigation, and there is no telling what else has yet to be discovered about her.

October 23, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  8. Willy Brown

Sarah Palin one of the new faces. Obama could have closed the deal 2 month ago BUT he stuck with the OLD crowd, Biden. Barry's is th eone who makes this election close like McCain did with Palin.

October 23, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  9. Retired Army in San Antonio

Yes I am......no I'm not.......well.....maybe I am......then again......

And they expect us to make this lady Vice-President? PLEASE!!

October 23, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  10. DJ in TX

Already flip flopping – LMAO

October 23, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  11. Bama for Obama

Labels??? I'm confused.If Palin has an affinity for placing labels on herself, why does she do it to others? It is hard for voters to know what she stands for when she does even know herself. She should have plenty of time to firguring it out after the election when she's back in Alaska. Bama, go Obama'08!!

October 23, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  12. drink the kool aid

More like feminot. Palin is a joke

October 23, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  13. Winnie Hussein.... in Montana

It's hard to keep all the lies straight, folks. Geez. It's hard to remember who you are pandering to. Geez. It's even harder to remember who you are supposed to be when you're whole existence is a sham!

October 23, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  14. joe six pack

Who' Sarah Palin? That's the real question. We know she's an extremist and an abuser, but I am sure there is much more we dont know

October 23, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  15. Teresa, Georgia

Palin...go back to Alaska and fininsh growing up.

October 23, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  16. Papasan in Arizona

Please make her stop! She is quite possibly the dumbest person to run for public office, EVER! Racists and Stupid are no way to go through life Sarah darling, Bless your heart!

October 23, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  17. Elizabeth

Sarah Palin is not a feminist. She does't repersent anyone but herself. she want to throw away every rights women worked so hard for.

October 23, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  18. Debbie

WHAT!!
    She did this with the whole 'real America' crap!
    Its okay to dish it but not to take it?

Please. Just go away!

October 23, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  19. Sian

Sarah Palin seems to have a problem keeping everything straight. Whether its an answer to a simple question, reason for toting her girls cross country, at the expense of Alaska, or her reasons for targeting her brother-in-law.

October 23, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  20. lets talk about GORDON LIDDY and CHARLES KEATING

So sarah so there you go again lying

Sarah the nieman marcus shopper/ McCain the $500 shoe owner

sarah the feminist / non-feminist – McCain the eratic 2016

October 23, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  21. Bob Stephens

She's gonna say that she isn't a feminist now, as opposed to a few weeks ago when she said she was one of them there fema-nazis. That is the Maverick in her.

October 23, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  22. Looking ahead

Must think it would be a liability for 2012.

October 23, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  23. Smart1

Palins definition of a feminist is a women who knows how to shoot and gut a "Moose", abuse their powers and go on a shopping spree.

I guess the Repubs forgot to tell her if she's a feminist or not.

Obama/Biden 08' Please!

October 23, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  24. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Of course what Palin really is is a LIAR.....

October 23, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  25. erica

and the story is? what is the point of this story?

October 23, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |