October 23rd, 2008

Republican Jewish group uses Clinton in anti-Obama ad

Sen. Hillary Clinton, who supports Sen. Barack Obama's presidential bid, is featured in an anti-Obama newspaper ad by the Republican Jewish Coalition.

(CNN) – The Republican Jewish Coalition is backing Sen. John McCain for president, but the group’s latest newspaper ad uses Sen. Hillary Clinton’s record on issues of particular concern to Jewish voters (along with that of McCain) to make the case against Sen. Barack Obama, the Democratic nominee.

The latest installment in the group’s series of ads in Jewish newspapers across the country features Clinton’s positions on Jerusalem, meeting with leaders of hostile nations, and labeling Iran’s Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist organization alongside that of the two men still running for the White House. The ad portrays Clinton and McCain as agreeing on all three foreign policy issues with Obama as the outlier.

“Now are you concerned about Barack Obama?,” the ad says. “You should be,” it reads in all capital letters.

The taglines appear frequently in the RJC’s ad campaign and appear to be calculated to raise doubts about the Illinois senator’s commitment to foreign policy positions important to Jewish voters. "One of the most important things in foreign policy is understanding who your friends are and who your enemies are,” Matt Brooks, Executive Director of the RJC said in a statement announcing the new ad. “The three key issues of foreign policy highlighted in our new ad are good indicators of that understanding, and in each instance, Obama failed the test," Brooks added.

The National Jewish Democratic Council, which backs Obama, recently launched its own series of print ads in Jewish newspapers. The Democratic group’s latest ad focuses on Obama’s plan for energy independence and his positions on Middle Eastern foreign policy issues.

Jewish voters favor Obama over McCain by a ratio of more than 3-to-1, according to Gallup poll results released Thursday. Seventy-four percent of registered Jewish voters surveyed by Gallup in October preferred Obama and 22 percent supported McCain; 4 percent were undecided and 1 percent preferred neither nominee. The Gallup survey involved telephone interviews of 564 registered Jewish voters and has a margin of error of plus or minus five percentage points.

Obama’s 74 percent support level is the identical level of support received by the Kerry-Edwards ticket during the 2004 election and slightly less than the 80 percent of the Jewish vote received by the Gore-Lieberman ticket in 2000, according to Gallup.

"More than any year in the past, Republican operatives have crowed about the increasing proportion of the Jewish vote going to Republicans this year," Ira N. Forman, the NJDC's Executive Director said in a statement about the Gallup poll results. "In fact, for every election since at least 1972 we've heard 'sky is falling' predictions concerning the Democratic proportion of the vote. However, it looks like this is going to be one more year when political pundits, some in the media, Jewish Republicans, and other partisans were wrong in their over the top forecasts," Forman added.

1. kayla

DESPERATE TIMES CALLS FOR DESPERATE MEASURES.
    OBAMA 08

October 23, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  2. Anne

Just another group who feel they are owed everything.

October 23, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  3. PROUD AMERICAN FOR OBAMA

I am Jewish and I can tell you that the majority of Jews are VOTING FOR OBAMA......

October 23, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  4. Kate Fergus

More right wing groups who like to take things at face value and out of context. It is easy to take one or two lines spewed during a political campaign and blow them out of proportion.

It is time to really put country first. McCain/Palin will NOT do this. This is evident from the vitriol campaign they have been running. I can't understand how any intelligent person could vote for a man like McCain who has sold his soul to the devil with his vile proclamations.

Obama/Biden '08

October 23, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  5. sandee in Portland

This is great news if all you are worried about is our foreign policy.

Personally, right now, all I'm worried about is the economy, my job, how I'm going to make my mortgage and car payment, and still put food on my family's table.

Our country is not the savior of the world. We have our own problems that need to be addressed first. Without a strong economy, we are not a strong country and neither is our military. I think it's time we took care of ourselves first.

To bad McCain doesn't agree with Clinton on the economy issues.

October 23, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  6. Joman

You have to give the Republicans points for creativity. They continue to come up with one inane thing after another to find the magic potion to change the electoral map. If it weren't so desperate and vile, it would be sad.

Its like the bees coming out of the mouth of prisoner in the movie "The Green Mile" when he was throwing up the disease that he extracted from the Warden's wife.

The death of the Republican party is a tragically ugly thing to behold indeed.

October 23, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  7. No Hillary = No Obama

WIth Obama's ego being what it is – his sense of grandosity has already fantasized a landslide victory; red states turning blue for him; traditional Republician and conservative strongholds collapsing, giving way to the supreme being, sweeping all battleground states. It won't be enough for him just to squeak by – oh no, he wants a national free fall for him. Listen to how he talks to those iffy states – this guy is a piece of work.

October 23, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  8. Listen Up...

Everytime I see the word Republican, my brain instantly turns down the volume. They seem to have an agenda for a select group of people and they have pulled out all the stops to protect their way of life. Just STFU and give back the ill-gotten tax breaks you all have had these 8 years already. Obama-Biden 08

October 23, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  9. David Goldman for OBAMA

ITS NOT LIKE JEWS TO SUPPORT AN INDIVIDUAL

WITH MCBUSH'S AFFILIATIONS. I JUST WONDER

IF THIS GROUP KNOWS & IF THEY DO, HAVE THEY

FORGOTTEN WHAT THEY DID TO US ??

October 23, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  10. Blue By You

These mailers are full of lies. Jewish folks know the difference. Clinton has endorsed Obama. Jewish folks will unite and not vote against their own self interests as the GOP hopes.

October 23, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  11. rachel

These republicans kill me lol. They are so in love with my girl Hillary these days, even though they made her life you know what. Hillary you are one powerful chick, to bad for the republicans Hillary has made it clear who she supports so it wont make a difference. John may share a few of the same views as Hillary but he is no Hillary so saying a couple of things they agree on wont do the trick.

October 23, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  12. Credit Card Republicans

I cant say what I want to say about this AD without being censored, other than it is a total lie.The only Jewish people I know that support McCain are those who make money on wars.

October 23, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  13. Neeraj

Screw these Republicans, even though Hilary is being a little whiner about losing, she's still "got" Obama's back, so they can shove it. I don't mean anything against Jews as a whole (my best buddy is Jewish) but these Republican Jews need to quit bad mouthing Obama just because he doesn't pander to them with false pro-Israel comments.

October 23, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  14. Tracey

What will be next? Out of touch, ideas and TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 23, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  15. E.Frank MD

When I started medical school and by fate was born Jewish, I chose a Jesuit institution because of the discipline I desired: there was an aggressive Jewish fraternity that I would not join. I preferred to choose my friends by other standards than like likes/needs/wants like. The reaction was disappointing: I am equally disappointed that these Jewish organizations have made Jews lumpen. That Jews should vote for the narrow issue of what is good for the Jews, I should vote for. The very poor taste it leaves in my mouth is that these kapos are looking out for their own good...reasoning not based on Torah. Need is the purest form of motivation, these organizations are not pure.

October 23, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  16. MikeH

OK CNN, why are you running a story the police can't substantiate about a woman claiming she was attacked by somone who didn't like her McCain sticker?

If she was at an ATM, where's the camera footage?

Why no comments allowed?

Is this a not-so-subtle anti-Obama propaganda piece?

October 23, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  17. No McCain

STOP THE HATE ADs PLZ!!!!!!!!!

October 23, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  18. Dr. Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

I AM A CATHOLIC & HONESTLY DIDN'T

KNOW ANY PART OF THE JEWISH COMMUNITY

SUPPORTED RACIAL HATE ORGANIZATIONS.

IT SEEMS TO ME, THAT, THAT IN ITSELF WOULD

HURT NO ONE MORE THAN THE JEWISH COMMUNITY.

October 23, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  19. Charlie Bradley

Oy Vey!!!!!!

When will we hear from the Log Cabin REpublicans?

October 23, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  20. Jay N.H.

I would think for this ad to make sense sen. Clinton would have to support McCain but obviously she doesn't. So in that respect this is another red herring.

October 23, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  21. Herman In LA

Republican are a bunch of whiners..

October 23, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  22. geo

Why would a Jew be a Repub I can nevr figure that out My wife is Jewish. She hates the repubs Maybe these Jews are from the South?

October 23, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  23. former gop

You know what's amazing? That Jewish people know more about inciting hatred under false pretenses than any other people in this country. In my opinion, I pity any Jew who would support McCain purely due to his rallies of lies and hate towards Obama.

October 23, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  24. Young Educated Republicans for OBAMA

NOW WE KNOW THAT EVERY

GROUP HAS THEIR FRINGE PEOPLE.

WHO KNEW ?

JEWS PROMOTING HATE ??

October 23, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  25. Gracie

OH... PUH-LEEEEZE.....

What is the McCain-Palin camp doing? I mean, are they just unraveling at every turn? If this wasn't so SAD.... I would be laughing my head off right about now. I just want them to be put out of all this misery. Nov. 4th could NOT come soon enough.

I've HAD ENOUGH OF THESE TWO (McCain-Palin) CLOWNS. It's time to shut down the circus so we can focus on restoring our Country back to it's HONORABLE, RESPECTFUL and CREDIBLE stature, not just here, but around the world.

I'm tired of the US being the laughing stock of the world.

October 23, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |