October 24th, 2008

Joe the Plumber open to 2010 run

Joe Wurzelbacher said he may run for Congress in 2010.
Joe Wurzelbacher said he may run for Congress in 2010.

(CNN) – Could Joe the Plumber become Joe the congressman?

Joe Wurzelbacher, the most famous plumber in America thanks to John McCain and Sarah Palin, told conservative talk radio host Laura Ingraham Friday he's considering a run for Congress in 2010.

That would pit Wurzelbacher against longtime Democratic Rep. Marcy Kaptur for Ohio's 9th district on the state’s northern border, which includes Toledo and Sandusky. "I'll tell you what, we'd definitely be in one heck of a fight, Marcy Kaptur definitely has a following in this area," he said of the possibility. "But, you know, I'd be up for it."

Wurzelbacher's chances would likely be slim. Kaptur has served in the district for 25 years, and remains a popular figure there. She won reelection in 2006 with nearly 75 percent of the vote and is expected to easily sail through another reelection this year.

But Wurzelbacher, who gained fame after he challenged Barack Obama on his tax plan earlier this month, has attained a certain rock-star status in the Republican Party and his entrance into the race would likely be greeted with instant excitement and media coverage.

Ingraham herself said she would immediately volunteer for his campaign and help him with campaign advertising and PR. Meanwhile, the National Republican Congressional Committee said they would welcome Wurzelbacher's candidacy with "open arms.”

"We support Joe the Plumber and people like him everyday with our support for lower taxes and energy independence," NRCC spokesman Ken Spain said.

But a spokesman for Kaptur told CNN Wurzelbacher is already off on the wrong foot.

"We just had another big layoff at the jeep plant, another 800 workers," Kaptur spokesman Steve Fought said. "So embracing Bush-McCain economics is kind of a strange way to launch your campaign. I'd have to question that strategy"

Wurzelbacher's comments come a week after a group of college Republicans launched a Web site with the hope of drafting him for a congressional run.

“Washington, DC is broken and it needs to be fixed. Joe Wurzelbacher has a real-world perspective and the right attitude to clean up the mess on Capitol Hill,” says the group’s Web site, which carries the slogan, “Plunge the crap out of Washington.”

Filed under: Joe the plumber • John McCain
  1. Shay

People in Ohio. Scrub adub you are in for a real surprise. Joe the Plumber. I am glad I don't like in Ohio where that whacko lives and people please don't even let him on the ballot.

October 24, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  2. Tolu

I guess Palin has proved that ANYONE can be taken seriously by the RNC...actually maybe Bush did that back in '00...

Eitherway, this is getting really annoying. Samuel the not-in-the-relevant-tax-bracket-to-begin-with-non-plumber, go away!

October 24, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  3. brad

I will be sending money to Kaptur. this guy is a joke.

October 24, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. Palin3009

suddenly I feel like I am in Phillipines OR Burma OR one of the Asian countries....

I heard folks over there are full of such election gimmicks and guess what, such characters win public office too there!!!

So we indeed ARE IN A RECESSION ( a recession in intellectual property) and that means we are ready for an acquisition (by you know who)!!!

October 24, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  5. Concerned INDEPENDENT CT voter

nobody likes a LIAR....

What's wrong with the people who like this guy?

answer: they are delusional...

-V

October 24, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  6. valerie

I THINK PEOPLE HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THIS COUNTY. THEY HAVE LOST THEIR MARBLES!!!!!!. THIS IS NOT A GAME. THE REPUBLICAN PARTY HAVE SHOWN AMERICA THAT THEY DO NOT CARE. THEY HAVE ALWAYS PLAYED WITH PEOPLES LIVES. I HOPE THE DEMOCRATS WIN THIS ELECTION. HOPEFULLY, THE COUNTY WILL GET BACK IN ORDER. MC CAIN & PALIN ARE SUCH A DISGRACE TO THIS COUNTY. ESPECIALLY MC CAIN AND THE REPUBLICAN PARTY.

October 24, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  7. Obama/ Biden

Is this some kind of a joke?
    God save us !!

October 24, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  8. Kerri

Uh, right. Asking a question of a presidential candidate sure does sound like good experience to be a congressperson... And so does not paying your taxes and misrepresenting yourself. He'd be a fabulous addition to the GOP.

October 24, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  9. sandee in Portland

OMG, another illiterate person going to run for office. What is our country coming to? I am still a registered republican but have voted democratic this year. All this article does is make me consider changing my registration to democrat or at least independent. I am very ashamed at what the republican party has come to (the more the merrier, the dumb the dumber).

October 24, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  10. Tracy McKeon

Oh, that'd be great. Joe and Sarah have made a mockery of our political system (okay, okay, it was already a joke). In order to contribute to the growth of our nation, it really helps to have a functioning brain. Joe seems like a nice enough guy - heck, I know a thousand guys just like him. And that would be my point.

October 24, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  11. jp

Joe you can't run for office. If you win you won't get that tax break that Obama's about to give you...

I hope he does run. Good to see this is the best the repubs can bring to the table.

October 24, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  12. bern

This dude is only slightly brighter than Palin. Why are most rethugs kind of stupid?

October 24, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  13. Rick

I may travel to Ohio to vote for him since the democrats seem to think that it's ok to do that.

October 24, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  14. Daniel in NY

He's probably as good as the next one. Maybe better since he would be unseating a Dem.

October 24, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  15. Jack

what a jack, this guy is not real.

October 24, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  16. Boomer

I think he would be a good representative.......on the MOON! Or some place further away. If the GOP is going to embrace this kind of nonsense, they will be marginalized.

October 24, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  17. Carl Winslow

I amazed that the media is still allowing this guy to have TV time when his whole relevance is based on lies.

October 24, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  18. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

HEY OBAMA FANS,

GET READY FOR A DEPRESSION AND THE END OF THE WORLD.

THANKS TO YOUR MESSIAH.

October 24, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  19. Missouri

Lying idiotsshould be prevented from voting and running for election.

We shouldn't elect our government like American Idol.

October 24, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  20. nick

god....make this nonsense stop

October 24, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  21. Shari, NY

Soon Joe will be contacted by publishing companies and TV talk show hosts. He will make so much money that he will be in a high tax bracket. Oh, oh!

October 24, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  22. B-REAL

I guess good ole "Joe", has seen the silver lining... I wonder if he will be done with his book by then. I guess you can't blame the guy for cashing in, but can be serious.

Maybe McCain can pay off his back taxes and give him one of his homes. I really don't think being a plumber that lied about his intentions and status his a good prerequisite for being elected.

Haven't the republicans suffered enough, I would recommend they not try and redefine the party around "Joe".

October 24, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  23. Crazy!!

That is just grand.... We need a bubble head who steals from his government and lies to run for an official office.
    But on the other hand we can sell almost anything to stupid americans, who claim to have masters in education. The news media should stop giving Palin and Joe the plumber a free ride. Boycott all media who do so, show the smart people rule.

October 24, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  24. adam, Colorado

Sweet. Who needs experience or education anymore?? This guy isn't a even a real plumber. He has no license. And he would probably be better under Obama's tax plan anyways. Anyone seen the movie Idiocracy?

October 24, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  25. Dj

Joe is smart... He is basically saying to himself... "I'm up for it, especially if i can get that 150,000 clothing allowance that my GOP peeps provide. Heck, I can lose and win at the same time."

October 24, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |