October 24th, 2008

Joe the Plumber open to 2010 run

Joe Wurzelbacher said he may run for Congress in 2010.
Joe Wurzelbacher said he may run for Congress in 2010.

(CNN) – Could Joe the Plumber become Joe the congressman?

Joe Wurzelbacher, the most famous plumber in America thanks to John McCain and Sarah Palin, told conservative talk radio host Laura Ingraham Friday he's considering a run for Congress in 2010.

That would pit Wurzelbacher against longtime Democratic Rep. Marcy Kaptur for Ohio's 9th district on the state’s northern border, which includes Toledo and Sandusky. "I'll tell you what, we'd definitely be in one heck of a fight, Marcy Kaptur definitely has a following in this area," he said of the possibility. "But, you know, I'd be up for it."

Wurzelbacher's chances would likely be slim. Kaptur has served in the district for 25 years, and remains a popular figure there. She won reelection in 2006 with nearly 75 percent of the vote and is expected to easily sail through another reelection this year.

But Wurzelbacher, who gained fame after he challenged Barack Obama on his tax plan earlier this month, has attained a certain rock-star status in the Republican Party and his entrance into the race would likely be greeted with instant excitement and media coverage.

Ingraham herself said she would immediately volunteer for his campaign and help him with campaign advertising and PR. Meanwhile, the National Republican Congressional Committee said they would welcome Wurzelbacher's candidacy with "open arms.”

"We support Joe the Plumber and people like him everyday with our support for lower taxes and energy independence," NRCC spokesman Ken Spain said.

But a spokesman for Kaptur told CNN Wurzelbacher is already off on the wrong foot.

"We just had another big layoff at the jeep plant, another 800 workers," Kaptur spokesman Steve Fought said. "So embracing Bush-McCain economics is kind of a strange way to launch your campaign. I'd have to question that strategy"

Wurzelbacher's comments come a week after a group of college Republicans launched a Web site with the hope of drafting him for a congressional run.

“Washington, DC is broken and it needs to be fixed. Joe Wurzelbacher has a real-world perspective and the right attitude to clean up the mess on Capitol Hill,” says the group’s Web site, which carries the slogan, “Plunge the crap out of Washington.”

Filed under: Joe the plumber • John McCain
  1. Ken

That's nice.

If he does, then Obama's tax plan will really be helpful to him, as he will be making under $250,000 per year...

October 24, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  2. Shaka

This loser does not even have the proper credentials to fix my toilet, and you imbeciles want to elect him to congress????

I thought after Bush 8 years of Bush folks would know better than to elect a person that they would have a beer with.
    Pathetic!!!

October 24, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  3. Kelly

American Idol, do you realized what you have started? I admire Mr. Wurzelbacker's ambition and desire to run for congress but you have to at least know what you're doing to have a legitimate chance.

October 24, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  4. mike

Can this idiot just go away.His not even a quilified plumber I'm sick and tired of listening about this liar.pay your back taxes and then you can think about running for office.

Obama/ Biden 2008

5. Eagle

He will be unpopular after Nov.4, goodluck in 2010

6. Ron

Republicans have short memories. They forget that he lied and misrepresented himself. He is not who he said he was. In Republican circles he is eligible for the Medal of Honor.

7. brian

He could be mayor of Wasilla!

8. Arthur James

YES! WE NEED MORE "REAL PEOPLE" LIKE SARAH PALIN IN OFFICE AND IN WASHINGTON, LIKE OUR FOREFATHERS ORIGINALLY INTENDED, NOT "CAREER POLITICIANS," WHO WITH RARE EXCEPTION END UP AS DIRTY AS A CLOGGED TOILET!

October 24, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  9. Phil the Engineer (a new demographic)

Well, he has made a good start in politics. He has already started lying.

10. Matt

Uh, Joe, you're a very temporary fad. Your fifteen minutes of fame are going to be up on November 5.

11. wakeupamerica

Let your gal pal Palin put you on her administrative team when she returns as Governor of Alaska. The lies and deceit will fit right in with the way she runs her state.

Obama/Biden '08

12. Jamie

Hey, why not have Joe the Liar run on the GOP ticket? He'll fit right in with the rest of them.

13. Chris

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE ABSOLUTELY 100% COMPLETELY TOTALLY FREAKING KIDDING ME!!! (Yes, meant to shout).

14. S-------n for Congress

That's it, I'm running too...
    I'm S--n E--–z and I approve this message

Did I win any votes yet?????

Obama/Biden
    YEAH

15. Pat - Overland Park, KS

Joe the Plumber is Joe the Plant is Joe the Fake.

He is not even licensed and he has a lein on his taxes.

16. Jeff In Ohio

Yes, run Joe. Tax cheats and liars always get a fair shake at the polls.

17. Eight Is Truly Enough

Not Sleeping At The Swtich thank you! I couldn't agree with you more. And the Obama supporters are the original Kool-Aid drinkers huh? Bawhahahaha. I think "Joe" needs to call up Ashley Todd and take their show on the road since McCain is now on the Joe The Plumber tour and he's all for anything reeking of being morally bankrupt. LOL

18. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

Is this for real? An unlicensed "plumber" for congress? I guess that if you don't pay your taxes, get a license, get your name all over the place, you are qualified? Just like a Republican...What a surprise!
    Vote DEM!!! Remember Nixon's plumbers???

19. GET REAL.

What does this teach our kids... "Well, if I default on my taxes and act like someone I'm not while a TV camera's in range, maybe I'll be the President someday!!! Woo hoo!!!"

October 24, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  20. RDS

Joe is still trying to hold on to those 15 minutes of fame...LOL. He's even shopping around a book. Can't blame Joe if the opportunity arises might as well take advantage. But he may be getting a little too "big for his britches" as they say in MS.

Obama/Biden 08!

October 24, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  21. LJ in MD

He might be the most viable RepubliKKKan candidate running for congress in 2010.
    They are gaining experience promoting vacuous, inexperienced, uneducated candidates that show skill in lying for the party.

October 24, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  22. Larry

It makes sense as I'm sure he's the best and the brightest that the republican party has to offer.

October 24, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  23. Ann - Maryland

You have got to be kidding me. He's not even a licensed plumber! And I know I'm not the only one who's sick and tired of hearing about this guy. November 4th can't come soon enough...

Obama/Biden '08

October 24, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  24. S-------n for Congress

Wait, I forgot, I won't pay taxes either
    YEAH

No, I'm not a PLUMPBER

October 24, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  25. Vincent, Great Lakes, Illinois

Under the Bush administration, I have become BITTER.

That One 2008