October 24th, 2008

Poll Update: Obama up by 9

Obama is up 9 points over McCain.
Obama is up 9 points over McCain.

(CNN) - Barack Obama appears to be widening his lead over John McCain as Election Day inches closer.

According to the latest CNN poll of polls, the Illinois senator now holds a 9-point advantage over McCain nationwide, 51 percent to 42 percent.

That's an increase of two points over the last two days for Obama and a reflection of several national polls that suggest the race seems to be headed in the wrong way for the Arizona senator with only a week and a half remaining.

Included in the latest CNN poll of polls are new surveys from ABC/Washington Post (October 19-22), CBS/NYT (October 19-22), Fox/Opinion Dynamics (October 20-21), Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby (October 20-22), Gallup (October 20-22) and Diageo/Hotline (October 20-22).

1. lisa

Just because Obama is ahead for right now do not mean he will win the election. We still have to get out there and vote Nov 4. Every vote counts. L ike Obama said " Don't get too cocky". Lets see Obama in office now!!!

October 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  2. MD

I'm with Senator Obama. We can't get cocky. My thinking is those 6 to 7% undecided folks are likely going to vote for McCain. That will make the race extremely close...

October 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  3. lucy

Sorry for a few typos in my previous post. Even for someone as ignorant as me, Obama/Biden is clearly the better choice. If you do not like both teams. Please vote for the team that you dislike less; I hope your choice would be Obama/Biden.
    Both teams will change the country. Only Obama's team can bring about the necessary changes to rebuild this great country!

October 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  4. dan

vote early. I wouldn't put it past republicans to make votes disappear in Ohio again.

October 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  5. Will the real OBAMA STAND UP

Let's get out in the streets and celebrate today! Let's party, Let's put down the republicans! Let's name call, Lets disrespect a war hero. It's OVER!!!

The only thing I miss today is Barbara the 65 yr old white woman from NC.. Where are you today with your hate?

October 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  6. rob

I don't believe these polls–nobody is polling cell phone users-These pollsters are going to be in for a huge shock when they see whats going on. These polls are irrelevant

October 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  7. John Starnes Tampa Florida

It's not too late for Bush/Cheney/NeoCons to give McCain a new 9-11, or at the very least, a "new" Bin Laden video, to stampede Americans with fear into voting for him. The NeoCons have a great gravy train going and are capable of the unthinkable to keep it going.

October 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  8. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

According to the AMBROSE POLL Obama is up by 100 percent.

CNN please factor in the Ambrose Poll.

Obama 08

October 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  9. lisa

I will still work hard to see Obama elected. The stock market is down 400 pts. already. Today is going to be the worst day we have seen yet. And you want to continue with another Republican administration? I truly think that some of you are trying to deny what is going on. Come join Obama and let us try somehting new. We cannot continue the course we are on.

October 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  10. Penny

I have cast my vote for Obama....which puts me in some very interesting company......namely, many Republicans who care about this country

October 24, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  11. Amy from MIchigan

Voters are hearing Republicans talk-the-talk, but they don't see them walk the walk!

People are losing their jobs. GOP response? Drop $150,000 on clothes for Palin at Neiman Marcus.

People are losing their homes. GOP response? Joke about Joe the Plumber finding work with a family (McCain) that owns at least 7 homes.

People can't afford gas. GOP? Cut taxes for companies like Exxon, giving them another 4 billion dollars in tax breaks.

We know whose side the Republicans are on, and it's not ours.

Obama/Biden for the rest of us!

October 24, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  12. RHairston

Please do not get complacent...We still need to get out there and encourage more people to vote and remember there is a margin of error with the polls.

If you can take advantage of early voting...please do so...from what has been going on in Ohio and a few other places, it looks like there may be a repeat of 2004 and lord knows we don't need that!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

October 24, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  13. No. VA for McCain/Palin!

Please, it's not over until next Tuesday guys! go John and Sarah!

October 24, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  14. Independent but Leaning

LOL at these "Elderly white person for Obama" posts.

Like nobody can tell you're really a 19 year old liberal posting from some Obama campaign office in San Fran or Chicago, getting paid $10/hr to monitor these blogs. Suckle at the Obama teat you fools.

October 24, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  15. wasteoftime

Is Obama eligible to be president? He has refused to produce an original long form birth certifcate to show he is a natural born US citizen as the constitution states. If he doesn't produce it, he can't be elected; it goes against our constitution.

October 24, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  16. Julie-Washington State

This is great. I think this shows McCain/Palin that all that negative ads, lies and mistruth really is not being accepted by Americans.
    I did notice that John McCain is using a lot of "main Street men" in his speeches he even had a few on stage with him....what about the women? I work hard, my 401K is dwindling. I know he doesn't believe in equal pay but you would think he would add a women in the mix.

October 24, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  17. Tiff of lithia springs

Shame on you Josh of NC and others who think like you. That's why our country is in the mess it's in to this day.

What a 2 year old. My candidate didn't win so Im not going vote. Even if Barack would not have won I would have given Hillery( reluctantly because of her behavior) my vote.

October 24, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  18. Mothernature Houston,Tx

I 'm glad that the past cheating scandles have been looked at more than any other year remember Bush cheated and stoled the election. Cast your vote I VOTED FOR OBAMA!!!!

October 24, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  19. rodondo

I am from Pittsburgh. The woman attacked with the B scratched on her face is a dicey story. The B is backwards (as if someone did it while looking in a mirror). That part of town is our "Little Italy". Crimes like that don't happen on that main street at 9 at night (organized crime- maybe). The cops did not see a McCain sticker on her car. The Surveillance camera at the bank didn't record a robbery as was claimed.

October 24, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  20. Richie

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE. Get out and VOTE. I voted yesterday. Join me!

October 24, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  21. Adam

I guess stupid people believe most of what the soured liberal media says in their news and polls. Other polls say he only has a 1% lead. Where is the coverage for that? Where is the outrage at the Osama supporter who cut a B in the McCain supporters face. Freak'in aninal.
    We will see what your coverage says November 5th.
    I am prepared for the fall out. Hope they liberal press faces the majority of it by Barracks supporters. PS I try not to defend one of you scum but I probably will. Being an American and a former Marine.

October 24, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  22. Gifty

Obama is just a superstar that will soon fade away.

wait for Nov 4 – Palin 08

October 24, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  23. ANGIE

Obama supporters do not pay attention to the polls GET OUT AND VOTE!! carefully the Republicans are at it again trying to steal the Election!

October 24, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  24. Richie NYC

These nationwide polls don't mean ANYTHING. Please VOTE, it's gonna come down to winning in the blue states and winning a few of the swing states. VOTE, no matter how long the lines, vote people and shut these loonie repUGS DOWN.

October 24, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  25. Angel

Polls are great and everything, but we must remember: GO OUT AND VOTE! VOTE EARLY! DO NOT RELAX! DO NOT GET COMFORTABLE!

VOTE! VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!