October 25th, 2008

'Finish the race before starting the victory lap,' McCain says

Sen. McCain warned Sen. Obama not to get too far ahead of himself during a campaign event Saturday.

(CNN) - Senator John McCain attacked Sen. Barack Obama for having his inaugural address ready to go and said that Obama’s presidential preparations will be proven premature at a rally in Mesilla, Arizona on Saturday.

“We just learned from a newspaper today that Senator Obama’s inaugural address is already written.”

“You know? I’m not making it up. I’m not making it up. I’m not making it up. An awful lot of voters are still undecided, but he’s decided for them that well, why wait? It’s time to move forward with his first inaugural address,” McCain said.

“My friends, when I pull this thing, I have a request for my opponent. I want him to save that manuscript of his inaugural address, and donate it to the Smithsonian. And they can put it right next to the Chicago paper that said Dewey Defeats Truman,” he said in reference to the 1948 Chicago Tribune headline incorrectly proclaiming Dewey the winner of that presidential election.

“There’s 10 days left in this election, maybe Barack Obama will have his first state of the union address ready before you head to the polls. You know, I guess I’m just a little old fashioned about these things. I prefer to let the voters weigh in before presuming the outcome. What America needs now is someone who will finish the race before starting the victory lap.”

McCain was referring to a New York Times article published Saturday that said John Podesta (who leads Senator Obama's transition team) "has been mapping out the transition so systematically that he has already written a draft Inaugural Address for Mr. Obama, which he published this summer in a book called ‘The Power of Progress’.”

Minutes after the Republican presidential candidate finished his speech, an Obama aide clarified that the address was in a book John Podesta wrote before Obama was the nominee and was written for a generic Democratic president.

In another response, Obama-Biden spokesman Bill Burton denied McCain's claim and linked him to a very unpopular Republican president.

“While this charge is completely false and there is no draft of an inaugural address for Senator Obama, the last thing we need is a candidate like John McCain who just plans on re-reading George Bush’s,” Burton said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Gracie

McCAIN, McCAIN, McCAIN..... why don't you catch up with the rest of us and get a "CLUE" and then we can call it a race. OKAY? Okaaaay.

Sen. Obama is NOT the one behind in the polls, even if he slowed down, I doubt you can catch up with all your "negative" Ads and attacks are dragging you down.

October 25, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  2. Peter (CA)

Desperation gets uglier and uglier, doesn't it?

October 25, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  3. Tristan

I think it is responsible to be prepared for anything, That's what Obama has don. Why hasn't McCain written one himself?

October 25, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  4. Reality

McCain is such a frickin' LOSER !!!! BIG TIME LOSER !!! I used to think he was cool !!!

October 25, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  5. Misty

Hey! CryBaby McCain,
    You and the Repub's always talk about Obama's readiness. Obama is ready for everything– even his inaugaral speech– The Patriotic and Caring Americans do not have a shred of doubt that Mr. Barack Obama is going to be our Next Preisdent– Do you??? I think you do.

Obama Obama Obama

October 25, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  6. KJL

This is from a guy who isn't planning a victory party? He also was quoted as saying not to feel sorry for him because he'll go home to Arizona and keep leading a great life. If John McCain thinks he's losing, why shouldn't Barack Obama?

October 25, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  7. Erik

Another McCain lie. How sad this once-honorable man has become.

October 25, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  8. Griff

You have only one choice Amarica. And that is for Barack Obama to stand down. Get out of Politics all togetther... Obama is not wanted on the World stage today... Your trying fo force him on ythe World....
    They He a Good Guy... ADOLF WAS A gOOD gUY IN 1937...

October 25, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  9. Vote for That One and Joe the Vice President!!!

As is we needed more proof that Palin is off the reservation and McCain is off his meds.

October 25, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  10. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Burton's comeback-- I'm still laughing! ! !

October 25, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  11. My Friends, let me tell you,

Dewey and I have a lot in common,were both losers.

October 25, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  12. Jeff

McSame and lies go perfectly together. I used to like him when he knew what the truth was... now he is so old he doesn't know the truth from reality. AND Palin would be one 72 year old heartbeat away from the button... that is scary!

Go Obama!!!

October 25, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  13. Willy Brown

Nothing would be better than Barry looking so dumb founded on the evening of 4 November when McCain beats the Chicago liberal. Hey Barry did you get your sick granny to say you was borned in the USA?

October 25, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  14. sue calgary

It's over McCain! The ham writing is on the wall. Face it!!!!!!!!!!

October 25, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  15. Brian Rich

Wow, this sounded a little bad at first, but then when I realized McCain was lying, AGAIN, it made me that much happier that I already voted for Obama last week.

Lying isn't going to get you anywhere, John.

October 25, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  16. CR

McCain is a loser...

October 25, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  17. S. Boatman

Mccain, . . . You Are Going To Loose! Im Not Making This Up! . . . Im Not Making This Up! . . Im Not Making This Up! You Are Going To Loose!

October 25, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  18. Independent Voter

Does anyone think this race would come out any different if these four blow hards just SHUT UP starting tonight and waited until November 4?

What's a few more million dollars spent on stupid, repetitive ads while Americans are losing their homes?

The amount of money and HOT AIR wasted in this election is a crime. Talk about greed and ambition and lust for power..........

October 25, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  19. J Williamson

Oh, Sen McCain; don't go away mad, just go away. And take Sarah with you!

October 25, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  20. GrogInOhio

Pitiful old man.

October 25, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  21. John

Jesus, you'll just say anything. You are pathetic, McCain.

October 25, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  22. JS ...... santee

John Grow up

October 25, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  23. Anonymous

I hope you have your "Congratulations President Obama" speech polished up SENATOR MCCAIN!

October 25, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  24. Tracy-Oakley

That's what he will be doing this week...bringing the campaign to an end while you still search for your message Gramps.

October 25, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  25. Send Palin home

Thank you for the reminder McGimmick. We will make SURE we hit the polls the remove all doubt you will lose.

Yep! You got us right where you want us, afraid of you and your BushEconomic Policies.

Thanks!