October 25th, 2008

'Finish the race before starting the victory lap,' McCain says

Sen. McCain warned Sen. Obama not to get too far ahead of himself during a campaign event Saturday.

(CNN) - Senator John McCain attacked Sen. Barack Obama for having his inaugural address ready to go and said that Obama’s presidential preparations will be proven premature at a rally in Mesilla, Arizona on Saturday.

“We just learned from a newspaper today that Senator Obama’s inaugural address is already written.”

“You know? I’m not making it up. I’m not making it up. I’m not making it up. An awful lot of voters are still undecided, but he’s decided for them that well, why wait? It’s time to move forward with his first inaugural address,” McCain said.

“My friends, when I pull this thing, I have a request for my opponent. I want him to save that manuscript of his inaugural address, and donate it to the Smithsonian. And they can put it right next to the Chicago paper that said Dewey Defeats Truman,” he said in reference to the 1948 Chicago Tribune headline incorrectly proclaiming Dewey the winner of that presidential election.

“There’s 10 days left in this election, maybe Barack Obama will have his first state of the union address ready before you head to the polls. You know, I guess I’m just a little old fashioned about these things. I prefer to let the voters weigh in before presuming the outcome. What America needs now is someone who will finish the race before starting the victory lap.”

McCain was referring to a New York Times article published Saturday that said John Podesta (who leads Senator Obama's transition team) "has been mapping out the transition so systematically that he has already written a draft Inaugural Address for Mr. Obama, which he published this summer in a book called ‘The Power of Progress’.”

Minutes after the Republican presidential candidate finished his speech, an Obama aide clarified that the address was in a book John Podesta wrote before Obama was the nominee and was written for a generic Democratic president.

In another response, Obama-Biden spokesman Bill Burton denied McCain's claim and linked him to a very unpopular Republican president.

“While this charge is completely false and there is no draft of an inaugural address for Senator Obama, the last thing we need is a candidate like John McCain who just plans on re-reading George Bush’s,” Burton said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Go McCain

dont be fooled by the one that talks the talk but does not have actions to prove it. he will socialize our America and make it worse in every aspect. we need McCain and Palin to bring America back to the peole not the inexperienced obama.

October 25, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  2. ruty

John McCain is green with envy.

October 25, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  3. CNN is BIAS

Why is it that only negative comments about McCain and Sarah Palin are being posted.
    Is this CNN Comment policy? Too only allow these types of comments.
    Talk about favouritism and Bias

October 25, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  4. Rory

Why is Obama writing his inauguration speech already?

It's not as if he's won...lol

October 25, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  5. ra372tes

You Obama lovers don't get it, you tune into CNN because you can always be right. CNN and TIME are one and the same, affiliated along with ABC, so you are only getting biased information. Polls, especially the electronic ones, are people pushing the same button over and over so the count will go higher in their favor.
    CNN's reporters keep hawking Obama dropping just enough positive goo about the McCain campaign to make themselves look unbiased. When
    the McCain camp says something negative about Obama, according to CNN negative campaigning just doesn't work. Then they turn around and do all the negative nasty reporting and stories they can on Palin and McCain. This behavior represents Obama loudly..... slimy and nasty.

October 25, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  6. Tiff of lithia springs

I'm with you SUE!

October 25, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  7. Trasa, Texas

This is from a post from another ticker

New Yorker
    October 25th, 2008 8:21 pm ET

His paternal grandmother and other family members said he was born in Kenya. you can find some info on Newsmax if you really want some facts. I wouldn't just take Factcheck.org's word. Why won't Obama's lawyers answer the lawsuit that's been filed in regard to this issue. Check out the facts from Newsmax. Looks like the only birth cert. that's been displayed was not valid, but who cares? Rah Rah for Obama anyway as far as the liberals are concerned.

IDIOT! Let me enlighten you on something that obviously you don't know. First and for most, if there was something wrong with his birth, the fact that he's an elected official and government does a background check on you and including McCain before they even get this far to make sure your a natural born citizen should be an indicator, but then again you didn't know that. Also, it doesn't matter if Obama was born in space, the simple fact that his mother was a citizen of the U.S. automatically makes him a citizen.

Gee, no wonder we need to invest in our education system, if we keep this up, America will always be behind the rest of the world.

October 25, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  8. lol

why doesn't obama produce a vault version of his birth certificate. he has 9 pending lawsuits, one going to the supreme court. when will obama release his occidental college and harvard records, and why doesn't the main stream media ask him this?

October 25, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  9. Dorian in NC

AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!!

CAN WE MOVE THE ELECTION UP TO MONDAY!!! LETS GET THIS THING OVER WITH!!!

PLEASE!!!

October 25, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  10. CNN is BIAS

CNN IS ALL FOR MCCAIN WHY NOT ADMIT IT

October 25, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  11. D. Rivera

Can't find the proper place for commenting about D.L. Hughley's show. It is garbage. Hughley is not funniy and is a sell out. I am a college educated, African American woman and do not find anything he said or did on his show in any way relevant to my experieour culture, humor or experiences but was instead insulted (and might I say as usual for him) and found his wise cracks in poor taste and not at all funny. Why is he on CNN? No place for his brand of comedy (if that is what you call it). Get rid of him.

I am almost exclusive to MSNBC but watch you guys from time to time. I hope not to have to make my choice exclusive. Thank you.

October 25, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  12. Stephen L. Johnson Sr.

Just a quick question? Why won't CNN show this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEtZlR3zp4c . It shows the real McClain in his own words. And shouldn't there be a law against Presidential Canidates telling a deliberate LIE during their campaign. Since they will be President of this country if elected, they couldn't lie to the people then.

October 25, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  13. Tiff of lithia springs

John I just saw on CNN where your Pit Bull is off her leash and turning into a ROGUE on the trail. That's what you need to be worried about.

Not some doggone speech unless as Sue T said it's you concession speech.

October 25, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  14. CNN is BIAS

NO BULL NO BIAS

THATS BULL

There is Bias

October 25, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  15. kay p Tempe AZ

Do we know if Obama ACTUALLY has his inaugeral speech done - which I kind of doubt – or is this just another thing McCain is making up.
    McCain should feel great. FAUX News had their Ayers/Rezko smear show on for a couple hours tonight. Better than 30 second ads, right, just hour after hour of innuendo and nastiness. gotta love that Honorable McCain, right?

October 25, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  16. TheRealThing

John McCain, referring to the October 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, said: "I was on board of the USS Enterprise, I sat in the cockpit, on the flight deck of the USS Enterprise, off Cuba. I had a target. My friends, you know how close we came to a nuclear war." Then, he went on and said "America will not have a president who needs to be tested. I've been tested, my friends." You have been tested? Hummm! Let’s see! You, Sir, were in the Oval Office at that time presiding over the negotiation with the Russians. Right! In other words, you were the Commander in Chief with the authority to call all the shots. Right! But I would say that President John F. Kennedy was the one who was tested. Not the other John. Not you either, John McCain. Sir, in this case, you have not been tested yet. Therefore, you have no scars to prove that you have been tested! Do you? I think the “Straight Talk Express”, John McCain, has some explanations to do to the American people. It’s RIDICULOUS.

October 25, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  17. Polly

Man, you Barack supporters are angry people. I like Bruce Springsteen and John McCain. Too bad they couldn't have teamed up. That would be a cool, rockin, superbowl.

October 25, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  18. anon

Big Mac sold his (previously admirable) soul, and all it bought him was a new wardrobe for Sarah Palin.

October 25, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  19. Judy

See that is the problem with McCain, he has no game plan. Who goes to the Superbowl to loose? This is the Superbowl of the political game! If McCain isn't think as winner than he's thinking about losing either way he's not playing to win. We want the next President to have a game plan to get us going in the economy, in the War and for the future. It sounds like McCain hasn't thought one day past tomorrow and that "my friends." is careless.

October 25, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  20. Wanda an Obama Supporter

Willy Brown, save your sick comments for someone else. Leave Obama's beloved Toot out of this. Toot is proud of her grandson. We are not proud of you or your choice in a president. Your choice in the presidency tells it all of your character. At least Obama has the integrity and character to be a loving grandson who loves his family. What has McShame done? He left his devoted 1st wife to fool around with his elitist second wife Cindy. Obama is more presidential than McCain will ever be. Chew on that Mr. Willy.

October 25, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  21. Vonnie

McCain-Palin are reaping the seeds sown over the past several months & weeks just like we, the US citizens are reaping the seeds sown over the past eight years by this administration. There was no investments made in America for Americans. We basically destroyed our childrens future and our parents means of income for Iraq's oil.
    McCain thinks if he says "it" enough whatever he saids will turn into the truth. The handwriting is on the wall: NO MORE LIES. It time for change to restore America. I pray that God will restore the years of the past eight years and progress US forward through new leadership in Obama-Biden 2008.

October 25, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  22. Independentandlovingit

I wonder where Inaugural speeches fall in issues that affect the economy or world policy. Oh yeah, right next to I'm not Bush, or na.na.na, your a Socialist, your a Terrorist, your not patriotic, you anti american you! Yeah, and your policies are Bush policies, not mine, even if I did vote with Him 90% of the time, and said I was proud of that fact, before..I didn't really mean it..please..I want my Presidency, i want my mamma, "That One" Is not playing fair, why do all the popular kids like him........

October 25, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  23. Anonymous

Wow, it's like he's run out of better attacks.

October 25, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  24. Judy

If McCain isn't planning to win than he is planning to lose. It's just that simple!

October 25, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  25. Who Truly Is OBama-

Barack Obama is about Black history, Ist black American for President.
    If he wins see if he is comes true to his wrod.
    So much for the average person.
    It is all about Black pride, in this election.
    Black Democratic registrations. Fraud or No fraud that is the question.
    What ever happened to fair and honest elections
    Obama uses money to buy votes.

October 25, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |