October 25th, 2008

Obama ad: Will you be better off four years from now?

The Obama-Biden campaign will roll out a new ad in key states Sunday.
The Obama-Biden campaign will roll out a new ad in key states Sunday.

(CNN) - Just a day after John McCain's campaign launched a TV ad attacking Barack Obama's readiness to lead in an international crisis, the Illinois senator unveiled a new ad Saturday that puts a new spin on the age old question: Are you better off today than you were four years ago?

The two-minute ad, "Defining Moment," will begin airing in key states on Sunday, according to the Obama campaign.

"At this defining moment in our history, the question is not, 'Are you better off than you were four years ago?' We all know the answer to that," Obama narrates. "The real question is will our country be better off four years from now? How will we lift our economy and restore America's place in the world?"

In order to "build the economy of the future," Obama says there has to be a focus on "urgent national priorities: reducing the cost of health care ... breaking our dependence on foreign oil ... and making sure that every child gets the education they (sic) need to compete."

The McCain campaign has fired back at Obama's new ad. “If Barack Obama is elected President, this may be considered the first in a series of 'defining moments' more commonly called job-killing tax increases," McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said in a statement.

At a rally in Norfolk, Virginia, Saturday, Obama's No.2 discussed the ad and blasted the McCain campaign's tactics.

"You know how we’re finishing out the campaign? Barack is going up, instead of anything negative, we’re going up and laying out our plan to fix the economy. That’s what we’re running on," Sen. Joe Biden said. "What is the McCain campaign continue to do? They want to do anything but talk about the economy."

Updated 1:05 p.m. with McCain campaign's response

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. Bring America Back!

Believe, see and hear what you want, but, Obama IS a true born American. Get past the color man.

October 25, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  2. Voter Fatigue Dee from NC

I can't believe John McCain tried to say Obama would be more like Bush...more garbage from the McCain campaign. It is so bad that my 6 y/o son calls him Bush-McCain.

I have one other issue to take up with the McCain-Palin ticket also. How is it that John McCain condemned Obama for wanting to put more money in education during the debates? All throughout the debate he kept saying the system just needed "reform" and we didn't need to throw more money at the problem. THEN YESTERDAY... Sarah Palin gives a speech yesterday about how they are going to pump billions of dollars into special education. I am a teacher and I feel like the entire system needs more funding, not just special education. All the other teachers I've talked to so far feel the same way. We need to take care of the entire school system. I work with special education children and the main thing holding back progress is funding in education in general, not for just one segment of the population of children. I feel like Sarah Palin just wants to implement things that will benefit her own family. We need to have better funding in the entire system, not just the area that is of a particular interest to the personal motivations of the VP pick for the GOP!

October 25, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  3. ml - California

With Obama leading, hopefully we will see change in January.

October 25, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  4. Olivia

Obama can put out as much spin on as many ads as he wants......fact is I see nothing, hear nothing, to make me think we'll be better of in four years. This one is a "catchy' ad that plays on words.....so what's new.
    We will not be better off until the uncontrollable spending in Washington stops, and this doesn't seem to be a part of the Obama plan. Quite the contrary. Let's face it people.....everything he does is over the top and it all cost money. We can't keep borrowing to fund our programs and we can't keep sending money overseas.
    So......while plans are in the works for another stadium celebration, and champagne, lobster and caviar are on the menu for a special banquet for special people( sniff hard enough and some of you might get a wiff of it)......think carefully and use your common sense before you choose the president.

October 25, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. Independent for Obama

to tainopower

Are you and Palin from the same planet? Where do you guys get your info. Thank gawd I'm an ex- McCain supporter.

October 25, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  6. Sidney

I just figured out that some of these Macain folks must be on crack, they are just coming up with all kind of crazy mess............Go Obama!!!!

October 25, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  7. The Analyst

Ya know, the truth is that it is time to stop arguing for whose better. The battle lines are clearly crossed. Maybe you haven't seen the campaign signs on all your neighbors lawns. So you can stop arguing now, cause everyone has already made up their mind.

October 25, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  8. bk

Obama surrounds himself with the same ole people that have been in there forever and you are expecting the world to change. Obama has no experince, he is unqualified. If you want to see what Obama is all about look at Chicago he did not do anything. High taxes and slums. He is a Chicago thug politition. He voted 130 times 'present' He can't make a decision. He is a fraud.

October 25, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  9. Stuart the railroader

The last time we had a democratic president it seems to me things went well, the economy was good, military was funded, the world respected us. Barack has not said he is raising anyones taxes, just letting the bush tax cuts expire, so that it was the way it was when Clinton was president. Which if I recall were pretty good times.

We need to balance the budget, I am against another " stimulous " package, it would just be more debt for us, the last 8 years have almost destroyed this countrys economy, destroyed our credibility, hammered our labor force, and dampened our moral incredibly. I allready voted here in UTAH, the reddest of the red states, I have only seen 1 McCain yard sign and 3 McCain bumper stickers. I have seen countless Obama stickers and yard signs here. Will Utah turn Blue ???? Not a chance, But the democrats our excited here, and the republicans have no enthusiasm for their canidate.

The ad is great, positive and uplifting, full of hope, he reminds me a lot of how people felt listening to J F Kennedy. looking forward, and not backwards

October 25, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  10. Hugh Carpenter from California

TAINOPOWER–
    "He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." — Thomas Jefferson

October 25, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  11. Proud Citizen

It is so funny to see how all these rumors of being born elsewhere and how a democratic senate and house under a democratic president would be bad (we had a republican senate and house and a republican president for some time, did we not?), considering that the election is coming to a close. It is just to interesting to see why this happens, only when the final days are coming. Long ago, we never would have seen such comments.

October 25, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  12. Sick Person on Board!!!

Jason October 25th, 2008 1:13 pm ET
    The Obama "Birth Flap" Obama: Where is your TRUE birth certificate?
    WHERE IS YOUR MOTHER ?

October 25, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  13. Dave

If you can't see the leadership in Obama from that ad, I'm afraid your head is somewhere the sun doesn't shine. What a contrast between his and Biden's attitude and that of McCain and Palin.

October 25, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  14. Rex

Tainopower
    Please stop with this stupidity. Where are you getting this information from?

October 25, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  15. A moderate independent in Illinois

GOPers, stop whining... the media is NOT against you. There's no conspiracy. You're just losing....NATIONWIDE. Your ideas are morally and LITERALLY bankrupt. Your campaign is in disrepute.
    McCain/Palin have run a truly dishonorable campaign. Can anybody believe it?? To even be able to link the word "dishonorable" with a true American war hero. It's pitiful
    The last straw was the McCain campaign pushing an incendiary version of the hoax about an Obama supporter - a big menacing black man- attacking a poor innocent white woman just because she displayed a McCain bumper sticker. The problem?? IT WAS ALL A LIE. MORE LIES FROM McCAIN!! The McCain camp should immediately fire the communications director who pushed that story as fact.
    Where is McCain's honor??? He is not qualified by any stretch of the imagination (and laughably, neither is Palin) to win the White House.

October 25, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  16. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Senator Obama WAS born in Hawaii.
    OBAMA was born in the USA – he is an AMERICAN!
    The Berg lawsuit was thrown out of court. Berg is a nut.

What is wrong with the American people that they believe so many untruths.

Obama-Biden '08

October 25, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  17. iv64

Why do people keep asking after the birth certificate? The law is that if either of your parents is an American citizen you are an American citizen no matter where you are born. We know McCain wasn't born in the US.

October 25, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  18. Anonymous

I CAN GO INTO ANY CONVIENIENCE STORE OWNED AND OPERATED BY MUSLIMS AND SEE NOTHING BUT SUPPORT FOR OBAMA WITH T-SHIRTS AND HATS FOR SALE AS THEY FEEL THAT OBAMA WILL STAND ON THE SIDE OF MUSLIMS WHEN THE TIME COMES.....THAT AND ILLITERATE BLACKS THAT HAVE NO CLUE OF WHAT IS GOING ON IN POLITICS.OTHER THAN THEY WANT A MAN OF THEIR COLOR IN THE WHITEHOUSE. HOW SAD THIS COUNTRY HAS BECOME

October 25, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  19. Ted van Tol

America, my flag will hang out if you elect the only candidate who is
    ready to lead your country and will be respected and loved all over the world.

I am living in The Netherlands and I love this man already

He will be your greates President in history.

October 25, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  20. Sean

I think that must of the Republicians fear that there time is coming slowly to an end. It's true that the color of his skin is a problem and if Sen. Obama should win they are asking themselves whats next. A Mexican-American, Jewis-American, Italian-American and so on.

Hopefully, one day we all will be called Americans of the United States the great country in world.

Who ever wins it will be diffulcult and we know he cannot do everything. But just a little light is better then no light at all.

October 25, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  21. Palin 2012

jefferson values, you should read it, you will never under stand it... And can you please tell me what McCain is going to do ?? other then follow Bush doctrines...

October 25, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  22. Turnabout is fair play

Igor October 25th, 2008 1:14 pm ET

I guess what Colin Powell said will prove to be absolutely right. Electing Mr. Obama will not only eletrify America but it will sure electrify the world.

I think that the very fact that America is ready to elect a black guy to be the preisdent is such an achievement that can be compare to invention of a phone or antibitics only to the society as a whole. It really gives people more freedom when they don't bother about the race and do think about real issues. I would love to make a donation to Mr. Obama campaing. Alas I am russian and live in Moscow.

Igor
    ------------------------------–

I am very sorry you cannot make a contribution to Obama, Igor but I will tell you what, tell me how much you would have donated to Obama and I will donate it on your behalf. I have not reached my $2300 donation limit yet so I can donate up to $1000 more before I reach it. Let me know how much you want to donate and I'll do it as a symbolic gesture for a new friend who wants to reach across the Pacific and unite with us here in the U.S. :-)

October 25, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  23. Jeff, Seattle

Will I be better off four years from now?

Not if we look up on November 5th and find that the country was stupid
    enough to have elected Sarah Palin to the White House.

Democrats 08.

October 25, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  24. Craig Nazor

This is exactly what was planned – fight the smears, etc., but in the last week, have enough money to flood the media with a straightforward, positive message about why Barack Obama is the right choice. If how Obama has run his campaign is any sign of how he will run the country, Obama is a good choice. This is one of the most organized and disciplined politicians I have ever seen. I think he learned a lot of this from "community organizing"!

Aside from these rediculous right wing/left wing ideological issues – neither of these candidates is very "radical"), the main reason someone would have to not support Obama is if one believes that he is lying (this is what the majority of McCain's most recent attacks are really all about). For that, Obama has a record that can be researched. Will most people research this? No, probably not. Many of them will listen to the lies and distortions.

Then how will voters truly decide? The Founding Fathers had an ultimate faith in our ability to make a rational choice, based on the issues, the facts, and each person's ability to judge the basic nature of another. The internet has helped to re-leveled the playing field this time around.

I hope the Founding Fathers have not misplaced their faith!

October 25, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  25. a canuck

A vote for Barack Obama will overcome the pockets of "ignorance" that prevail in the USA. He is exactly what the world needs at this time in history. Vote early and make it count. Obama/Biden08/12

October 25, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |