October 25th, 2008

Obama ad: Will you be better off four years from now?

The Obama-Biden campaign will roll out a new ad in key states Sunday.
The Obama-Biden campaign will roll out a new ad in key states Sunday.

(CNN) - Just a day after John McCain's campaign launched a TV ad attacking Barack Obama's readiness to lead in an international crisis, the Illinois senator unveiled a new ad Saturday that puts a new spin on the age old question: Are you better off today than you were four years ago?

The two-minute ad, "Defining Moment," will begin airing in key states on Sunday, according to the Obama campaign.

"At this defining moment in our history, the question is not, 'Are you better off than you were four years ago?' We all know the answer to that," Obama narrates. "The real question is will our country be better off four years from now? How will we lift our economy and restore America's place in the world?"

In order to "build the economy of the future," Obama says there has to be a focus on "urgent national priorities: reducing the cost of health care ... breaking our dependence on foreign oil ... and making sure that every child gets the education they (sic) need to compete."

The McCain campaign has fired back at Obama's new ad. “If Barack Obama is elected President, this may be considered the first in a series of 'defining moments' more commonly called job-killing tax increases," McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said in a statement.

At a rally in Norfolk, Virginia, Saturday, Obama's No.2 discussed the ad and blasted the McCain campaign's tactics.

"You know how we’re finishing out the campaign? Barack is going up, instead of anything negative, we’re going up and laying out our plan to fix the economy. That’s what we’re running on," Sen. Joe Biden said. "What is the McCain campaign continue to do? They want to do anything but talk about the economy."

Updated 1:05 p.m. with McCain campaign's response

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. Fitzpatrick

Ashley TOD is runing for senate next year just like joe the plumber. Shame on republicans

October 25, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  2. ibextati

This seals the deal.

October 25, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  3. fredrick amukonyi

I have always been proud of Obama. He's great unifying figure in the world. He never thinks in terms of white and black people, but God's people. American's) I'm sure after his four years term we will be seing him elected by a landslide next general election. Less go Obama.We pray for God's wisdom as you lead His people.

October 25, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  4. Bill in Ct.

To all you Republicans out here, " WELCOME ABOARD ", you people have finally open your eyes. The republicans have run this country into the ground, Time for a change, BYE BYE you NEO-CONS

October 25, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  5. bluephilly

The reason Obama was smiling whenever McCain spoke at the last debate was because McCain told the America people to their face that he supports Bush over 90% of the time. He made sure we heard him. He sat there at the debate table and said he was not George Bush. But even if he doesn't side completely with Bush now, even 70% or 75% is way too much. He is trying to make us believe that he has accomplished a complete turn around in his views and doesn't agree with Bush anymore. I'm not buying it and I am not giving McCain vote to find out just how much he still agrees with George W. Bush. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. And you will not find an older dog than John McCain!

October 25, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. Another White Guy Not an Obama Supporter

No Shame Shame Shame on you. To think that the only reason people will not vote for Obama is because he is black. How racist is that statement? I will not vote for Obama because he is the biggest liberal I know and then when you add Joe Biden to the equation (who by the way is white) then you really lose me. I have no problem with race, I voted for Allen Keys many years ago, I'd vote for alot of black conservatives. I thought the democrats were the great uniters, so far all I've heard is race, race, race. Is it so you have something to fall back on if Obama loses, because you simply can't believe that Americans like capitalism and freedom to choose more than socialism? Or that Americans do not want a radical liberal agenda shoved down their throats? Shame on you for even making race an issue, that is lower than low. You should not judge a man on the color of his skin, but the content of his character. That is why I'm not voting for Obama!

October 25, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  7. Turnabout is fair play

GARY October 25th, 2008 1:13 pm ET

How is it that Obama can run illegally. He is deffently not a born U.S. citizen.That is the main thing running for President. I believe this race has been illegal from the begining ,vote frauds and all.I have read the federal laws and you deffently have to be born a U.S. citizen to run. Obama was born in Kenya and adopted Indoniesia.Does this country change the contitution and federal laws for this certain canidate. This is illegal as hell.iF this is the case a terroist could come over here in run.Thats an example. I think Obama should be suspened and HRC should be legally the nominee.This is all wrong.
    ------------------------------
    Wondered when you would show up and start your bs again. I see you've learned to turn off your CAPS LOCK when you type your rants, good boy. Now, you need to go to Factcheck.org and do some actual research instead of regurgitating the crap you are reading from Tainopower Tool and Jason there.

October 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  8. Tomi

thanks mike and bob – great response to jimmy.

Just like republicans to have to use sensationalism (like Palin) as their only hope to win an election. I stand by Obama/Biden – who can clearly inspire not only a nation but the best in us. Unlike the "other one" that has to resort to fear tactics and mud slinging as the platform for his campaign.

Obama/Biden, for a truly UNITED States.

October 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  9. annie - never again a dem.

To obama supporter – can't obama or any of his supporters do anything but play the race card? I know he has no qualifications and not experience except for his time as community organizer with acorn or his time with ayers learning basic fundamentals of domestic terrorism but quite honestly the race card thing is getting terribly old and over used!!!

October 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  10. David Stalker

I dont know what everyone's problem with Socialism is, I can name ten countries, where socialist concepts actually work. And none of those said countries are fascist, in the whole finanacially, or all about greed, and looking out for number one!! If anything resembles fascism, it's the last 3 republican administrations that we've had. talk about BIG BROTHER!!

October 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  11. OFFWALLST

I WILL BE MUCH WORSE OFF SO WILL 250 MILLION PEOPLE...ALTHOUGH 50 MILLION WE BE BETTER OFF LIVING ON SOMEELSE'S SWEAT

October 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  12. Alex

Re: Parker San Fran
    "Four years from now? Not if Obama is elected… I'm pretty sure I'll be worse off financially and since we'll be a Communist country at that time, my human rights will be violated daily."

Give me a break. That sort of X-Files conspiracy garbage went out with, well, X-Files. And "anti-Commie" rhetoric like that has been out of style since Dallas was the No. 1 show on TV.

October 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  13. joshua

Cnn, you need to remove that first comment about a judge ordering obama off the ballots. It is a direct fabrication. The judge dismissed the plaintifs claim as "ridiculous" and "not worthy of discussion". Do your part in illiminating lies from the news.

Obama 08

October 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  14. TAINOPOWER

Update: obama not citizen 10/25/2008 11:40am

Wile searching true the web sites .I have found different sites that have different information about the law sue against obama and some say the judge rule for and others say the judge rule against obama ? At this time I will like to correct what I have posted and wait and see what is the real ruling on the case. .I apologize for any inconvenience.

October 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  15. bluephilly

Tainopower you are an idiot.

October 25, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  16. tncbg

Obama is 1/2 black and 1/2 white so race should not be an issue. He does appear more black than white so I suppose most people consider him to be black. I am not a Republican or Democrat and find Obama far more impressive than McCain. I don't want to vote for either and have not yet decided which way to go. Obama has been treated with kid gloves by the press so there is likely a lot we do not know about the guy. Regardless, I believe he will win and I will be anxious to see the impact on the black community. Will this finally allow the black community to stand with real, heart felt pride and declare that anything is possible no matter the color of your skin? Can white people stop feeling guilty about the past and treat black people as true equals? Can everyone accept the fact that we all have cultural and social differences that should be appreciated instead of feared? As a pro-life Christian and will be praying for whoever inherits the mess left by the current incompetent and hope we can pull together as Americans to get back on track.

October 25, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  17. Rotimi DaCosta Chicago IL

Introducing the President Of The United States Of America, President Barack Obama, well spoken President, Yayyyyyy
    God Bless America :)

October 25, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  18. hometowndemocrat

Gary...and all the other paranoid conspiracy theorists out there.....

Do you really suppose that this issue of Obamas place of birth hasn't been checked out by the Federal Election Commission?

I mean, my goodness, it's not as though John McCain was in charge of vetting him!

October 25, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  19. Republican Supporters in the Dark

NOVEMBER 5, 2008: It's morning time in America. The beginning of a new chapter in America. We will all (those who are willing) work together for a better America. The voices of hatred and intolerance will have been significantly silenced.

President Barack Obama; VP Joseph Biden – has a nice ring to it. God bless America. It's morning time in America – Nov 5. Be part of the change. Go out and VOTE!

October 25, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  20. sondyinohio

Obamanomics: Trickle Up Poverty for all! I am a registered Dem. voting Republican this year. My party has been taken over by the liberal Daley Chicago machine. What a crime. And we have Harvard grads & Stanford law school students who apparently don't know the meaning of "resident"of ohio qualification to vote! Terrific. I'm a retired school principal. While a math teacher, I always taught my students that if I took all their test scores and divided up the points among them, so each was "equal to the other", and socialist, they would pretty nearly all quit studying for a better score! Why can't people see the demise of other socialist empires and their "common" inability to afford all the programs AND keep a good nat'l. defense afloat? UN needs US because we are the only ones not burdened w/socialist programs who can still afford a military! No Handouts, no Obama!

October 25, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  21. Pat

obama supporter October 25th, 2008 1:16 pm ET
    to all those people that afraid , , ,
    THE ONLY REASON IS THAT OBAMA IS BLACK.
    if obama was white,i am sure that the majourity of the people will vote for him.
    SHAME ,SHAME,SHAME ON YOU.
    ---------------------------
    Save your "SHAME" sermon! In fact, if Obama were white, he wouldn't even be in the running - because there's nothing distinguising or accomplished about him that would create any interest!

October 25, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  22. CA Indie for Obama

Regina, you have OD'd on kool-aid yourself...McCain has had no substance in any of his policy stances, unless you consider his buying up mortgages so the banks stay fat on the backs of taxpayers...or his health plan that would cover only 5 million out of the 47 mill without healthcare (Obama's would cover nearly 30 mill), just as an example.
    jefferson values, how do you tell if someone is an idiot? They repeat lies from the McCain campaign implying Obama is a socialist or communist. If you had a grasp on history, the US tax system has always been progressive (i.e., the more you make, the more you pay as a % of income). That in and of itself implies socialism using a strict definition. What do you call wealth transfer from the poor to the rich? Trickle down theory, which has shown NOT to work for the long run by both Reagan (raised taxes 2nd term; left daddy Bush holding the bag vs. Clinton & Perot) and by W (unless you call today's economy vibrant)

October 25, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  23. Stefan

More than 90% of Europeans would like to see Obama as president.
    This is your chance, Americans, to make America a serious country again. America has lost a lot of its credibility in Europe, due to the Iraq war, and the financial crisis as a result of 8 years of disastrous management due to the Bush government. Please, don't let it happen again.
    Vote Obama!

Greets from Belgium

October 25, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  24. Bob in Pa.

Substance + Leadership + Integrity = turning this country around in the right direction.

Obama gives me confidence he can do the job well. He's got my vote.

October 25, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  25. Sheila43302

I just had to weigh in with the rest of the bloggers about Tainopower. This guy has no concept of reality.

October 25, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |