October 25th, 2008

Obama ad: Will you be better off four years from now?

The Obama-Biden campaign will roll out a new ad in key states Sunday.
The Obama-Biden campaign will roll out a new ad in key states Sunday.

(CNN) - Just a day after John McCain's campaign launched a TV ad attacking Barack Obama's readiness to lead in an international crisis, the Illinois senator unveiled a new ad Saturday that puts a new spin on the age old question: Are you better off today than you were four years ago?

The two-minute ad, "Defining Moment," will begin airing in key states on Sunday, according to the Obama campaign.

"At this defining moment in our history, the question is not, 'Are you better off than you were four years ago?' We all know the answer to that," Obama narrates. "The real question is will our country be better off four years from now? How will we lift our economy and restore America's place in the world?"

In order to "build the economy of the future," Obama says there has to be a focus on "urgent national priorities: reducing the cost of health care ... breaking our dependence on foreign oil ... and making sure that every child gets the education they (sic) need to compete."

The McCain campaign has fired back at Obama's new ad. “If Barack Obama is elected President, this may be considered the first in a series of 'defining moments' more commonly called job-killing tax increases," McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said in a statement.

At a rally in Norfolk, Virginia, Saturday, Obama's No.2 discussed the ad and blasted the McCain campaign's tactics.

"You know how we’re finishing out the campaign? Barack is going up, instead of anything negative, we’re going up and laying out our plan to fix the economy. That’s what we’re running on," Sen. Joe Biden said. "What is the McCain campaign continue to do? They want to do anything but talk about the economy."

Updated 1:05 p.m. with McCain campaign's response

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. John

I don't believe I will be better off in four years, regardless of who becomes President. I do believe the nation will be better off if Barack Obama becomes our President, I believe he will restore the influence, and respect America has lost internationally through GW Bush's presidency. I'm on long-term disability from an SCI, so I expect my standard of living to drop, I hold no delusions, I live on charity. I just hope Obama can restore the respect the U.S. once held from nations, and people across the globe. When America succeeds, I get the luxury of living through their successes, and it's (almost) like I am a part of it. Even if the feeling lasts only minutes a day, that's not bad, it could be a lot worse.

October 25, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. Andrew from Canada

I just finished watching a McCain rally on TV. I do not know how anyone can think McCain is better suited to take on the multiple challenges facing the USA. He offers know specifics, he jumbles his words numerous times throughout his speach and he simply tries to yell out as many "patriotic" lines as possible. "I won't let us lose in Iraq, we'll come home victorious !", "Get up and fight, stand up in fight, stand up in fight, let's fight for the USA", etc. It sounds pathetic if you ask me!

He also continues to call Obama a socialist, but now he wants to buy a considerable amount of bad mortgages to prevent foreclosures, I'm not saying its a terrible idea, but it kills his argument agains Mr. Obama. McCain is simply confused and doesn't know what the hell to do next. I don't know how anyone could believe he would be a better choice than Obama.

Andrew

October 25, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  3. Shannon

His ad should say, will you be better off four years from now, once I have turned my back on everything Democrats stand for. I've already voted for the Cheney Energy Bill and FISA, I've praised the overturning of hand gun ban laws, I've called a war criminal a hero and accepted his endorsement, by the time my four years are up, I'm sure you won't recognize your country or the Democratic Party. No thanks Mr Obama, please keep your version of hope and change.

October 25, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  4. Adam

Powerful message, this guy who says that we will not have the balance of power, well, we give bush and his congress 6 long years why not give the democrat the same chance, double standards !

October 25, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  5. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Jimmy – you mean like we had with Bush and the republicans until two years ago?

October 25, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  6. David

Jimmy – The Constitution doesn't say we have to have separate parties in Congress and the White House. The three co-equal branches of government are the balance of power in itself. Learn some basic civics.

October 25, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  7. Chuck

What a magnificent ad. This ad is totally focused on the issues of the day and does not even mentioned McCain.

The McCain/Palin ads cannot come even close. All their ads focus on are attacks on Obama without offering an iota's worh of solutions.

McCain has become a dishonorable presidential candidate and will end his campaign without any dignity.

October 25, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  8. Margo - TEXAS

Wow, I cant wait until Nov. 5th when we can call Barack Obama, Mr. President. He is an inspriation to all.

I live in TEXAS which is a RED state, but I am praying that some how it will turn BLUE. Oh it would be a happy day.

October 25, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  9. BUck in NC

That's the way a president should speak. Compare Senator Obama's coherent inspiration to Senator McCain's fearful sneering and Joe the Plumber.

October 25, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  10. John, Tampa, FL

I voted for Obama. While I stood in that 2 Hour long line Thursday, I was thinking about the future. I want a President that people like, I want a President that is smart, I want a President that will fight for working people, I want a President that will engauge the American People, and I want a President that will use the American Milltary as designed.

I voted for all Dem this year, it is time to throw the Republican Party out of our Nations Capital-They caused this mess.

October 25, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  11. Ex-Republican For Obama

Take 'NO PRISONERS", that means do not take McCain.

The only hope we have is Obama. McCain has proven over 26 years as a senator, in his first marriage, and as a serviceman that he is an utter and total failure in all he touches. We can not afford to have a man with a track record of failure to be the next POTUS.

We need someone that will protect us in these tough times.....the only man capable of doing that is the one who has not failed his first wife, has not failed his fellow country men by making propoganda films and has not failed his fellow veterans by voting against their benefits time after time after time. We need a man that has honor, integrity and wisdom. We need Obama!

Do not take this election for granted....in ANY state: GET OUT AND VOTE YOUR BUTTS OFF!

October 25, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  12. dude

tainopower,
    Point is, even if he really wasn't a 'natural born’ or ‘naturalized’ citizen, I would not care. He still cares as much about the United States as anyone, and I think he is the perfectly right candidate. This non-sense about having to be strictly born in the United States is redundant, it doesn't say anything about anyone's patriotism. You feel what you feel, and you do what you feel. Obama feels he is the perfect next president of the United States, and he should have all the rights to be were he to not be an "official" american. Or tell all the people that have lived here all their lives and feel proud of being "americans" (an incorrect term) and feel and know they have all the rights as anyone who was born here should have.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is: I would still vote for him.

October 25, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  13. surprise

Palin is a back stabber...he did it to the mayor who introduced her in politics, to the governor who introduce her to the oil industry, now to mc cain...i don't trust her...

October 25, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  14. To the moon

IF McCain were to be elected, and IF the dems were to control congress, he would not be able to do much while in power. SO John's statement of because of the congressional races, they should vote for him is a bit out of touch with reality.

October 25, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  15. FLORIDA for Obama

PLEASE, PLEASE PEOPLE WE ALL KNOW that the PALIN/MCCAIN campaign has been so filled with hypocracies it's no longer funny.

These people, as well as THEIR 'KOOLAIDE DRINKING' FOLLOWERS, are spewing HATE, RASCISM, NATZI-ISM, DIVISION,ETC. Just look at this woman that, LIKE SUSAN SMITH, tried to blame her self-inflicted injuries on a BLACK OBAMA SUPORTER.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IS INSITING TO HAPPEN.

THEY are the one's at VOTING STATIONS with the HATEFUL, RACIST SIGNS. THEY are the one's slinging ALL the dirt and inuendos. THEY are the one's BRINGING DIVISION to this country. THEY are the RIGHT WING CHRISTIAN HYPOCRITS who CLAIM to LOVE ALL but really HATE EVERYONE NOT LIKE THEM.

VOTE OBAMBA/BIDEN
    VOTE FOR PEACE AND UNITY
    VOTE DEMOCRAT
    VOTE VOTE VOTE

SHOW THE REPUBLICANS THEY NO LONGER CONTROL ANYTHING.

October 25, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  16. jefferson values

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
    Ronald Reagan

October 25, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  17. DJ

Impressive ad. It's hard to comprehend the obstinate position of McCain/Palin supporters. "Kool-ade" "Obamanots" etc. it seems as if they have degenerated the argument to name calling in a last ditch effort to avoid using logic and reason, because using logic and reason would require a change of position (Voting Obama/Biden), and they can't do that. Either that or racism really does still exist in the U.S. and is rearing its ugly head in our politics.

This ad is about unification and tackling the problems we all face, very impressive. A message everyone should be able to get behind.

October 25, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  18. Scott L

Not if obama wins. 1-1-2011 Bush Tax cuts expire (if not sooner under Democrat controlled everything).

On that day ALL Americans taxes automatically go up.

Make Bush Tax Cuts permanent and add more on top.

Child tax credit is now $1000 per child. 1-1-2011 it goes to $700.

You do the math and remember Barney Frank already wants to repeal Bush's tax cuts....same thing with Pelosi.

October 25, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  19. j

People are silly to worry about the Democrats controlling Congress with Obama in the Whtie House. First, I don't believe the Senate will get 60 Democrats, a fillibuster proof majoritey. 2nd, we hold elections every 2 years and if the party in charge abuses their power, they can always get voted out. Finally, it's not like this has never happened before.. Change will be good for America. Vote Democrat! Vote for OBAMA!

October 25, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  20. Bring America Back!

The Democrats NEED to be in control! They HAVE to clean up the mess left by the Re'lic' party and it is going to take not only ALL of them, but, us too! It's not going to be easy and if ANY Re'lic party member is left in Washington, they will just filibuster, drag their feet and cry. We need to elect the people of the people! Not the people of the CEOS! No more dragging your feet and ripping off the American taxpayers! I, for one, would like to be better off 4 years from now and NOT worse off than I currently am. How about you? Really, think about that!

October 25, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  21. Tiff of Lithia Springs

JIMMY THE REPUBLICAN PARTY SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT BEFORE THEY RAN THIS COUNTRY IN THE DOGGONE GROUND.

October 25, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  22. surprise

We need to show the world that we have intelligent people in US to elect for president.

October 25, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  23. Joe

What a great AD, keep talking to the American people and just leave Mcpalin with their fear mongering, hate and divisive campaign. We have had enough of the last eight years and we need something new for the future.
    Go Obama/Biden

October 25, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  24. pam White Woman for Obama Eugene OR

CNN
    Why do you allow taiopower to post lies? He always posts first and it is always a lie or a smear that has been proven to be false.
    I don't care that he supports McCain. I enjoy an opposing view. But, he posts out and out lies!
    Please CNN MODERATE TAINOPOWER

October 25, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  25. Shelley

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting tired of the constant political tv ads. This campaign has gone on forever. Isn't the election over yet??

October 25, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |