October 25th, 2008

Palin warns Obama would create nanny state if elected

Gov. Palin said Saturday that Sen. Obama has a big government agenda.
Gov. Palin said Saturday that Sen. Obama has a big government agenda.

SIOUX CITY, Iowa (CNN) - Campaigning Saturday in Iowa, a state where polls show Barack Obama enjoying a healthy lead just 10 days before the election, Sarah Palin warned that putting Obama in the White House along with Democrats running both chambers of Congress will turn the country into a nanny state.

Palin cautioned Iowans that under Obama’s “big government agenda,” their income, property and investments would be “shared with everybody else.” She labeled Obama’s plan to provide tax credits to lower and middle-income wage-earners “the philosophy of government taking more, which is a misuse of the power to tax.”

“It leads to government moving into the role of taking care of you, and government and politicians and, kind of moving in as the other half of your family to make decisions for you,” she said. “Now they do this in other countries where the people are not free. Government as part of the family, taking care of us, making decisions for us. I don’t know what to think of having in my family Uncle Barney Frank or others to make decisions for me.”

With audience members shouting “socialist!” throughout her speech, the Alaska governor said that time is running out for Americans to realize the danger of a having a Democrat in the White House.

“Are we hearing what he is saying with 10 days to go?,” she asked plaintively. “Are voters hearing what he is saying about his plans for bigger government?”

At the beginning of her remarks, Palin appeared to ad-lib a riff about her much-discussed wardrobe, which has the been the subject of scrutiny since Politico reported last week that the RNC spent $150,000 on clothes for Palin and her family before the Republican National Convention in September.

“Your state is filled with good, hard-working people all loving the outdoors,” she said, “and it was nice and crisp getting off the airplane and coming into the - it reminded me a lot of Alaska, so I put my warm jacket on, and it is my own jacket. It doesn't belong to anybody else."

Palin was introduced by Col. Bud Day, who shared a cell with John McCain in Vietnam and is one of the Arizona senator’s most loyal campaign allies. Day reached back 60 years to invoke the 1948 presidential election, and said that if Harry Truman was able to come back to defeat Thomas Dewey, McCain will be able to do the same against Obama.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • Sarah Palin
  1. Leftist Avenger

Sarah Palin is a liar. To say that Barack Obama wants people's "income, property and investments shared with everybody else" is a bald-faced outright and outrageous lie. Her comment is particularly offensive after the Republicans have spent the last eight years sharing MY wealth with the richest people and corporations in America. She should be ashamed of herself - if she had any shame at all that is. Disgusting.

October 25, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  2. Denise Walters

Dont forget your parting gifts when you head back to moose country!!

October 25, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  3. pastthis

What are you saying Palin? Democrats are not Americans? And this from a woman who supports succession of Alaska from America, friends with a person who hates America and it's constitution. GIVE ME A BREAK! Unlike you, my brain is not stuck on stupid.

Look you fake christian, when asked what you read, you couldn't even say you read the bible. If you did, you would realize that you have broken the two supreme commandments along with others. You are a thief and you lie,lie,lie. You have no shame. You are the supreme self rightous B. By the way you were the one to say you were a bulldog with lipstick. Now my question to you is what is a female dog? In case you don't know it is a B and don't forget to add the itch.

How dare insult my integrity.

October 25, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  4. June W

If "spreading the wealth" is such a bad idea why did you let the RNC spend $150.000 on a wardrobe to make you look more like a "hockey Mom"? You certainly didn't mind their wealth being spread. If being a "nanny state" means that children will be covered by health care, what's wrong with that? As the mother of a special needs child of my own I uderstand the need for more govenment intervention to ensure that all children are given RIGHTS not PRIVILEDGES. Funny how every election season the Republicans suddenly care about our children. Mrs Palin, YOU only care for OUR children UNTIL they are born.

October 25, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  5. Olivia

This gal is SPOT ON!
    She has a way of simply telling it the way it is.

October 25, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  6. Larry

NO I don't think people ARE listening–they are to busy running around with their hands out-they all want something for nothing–like freedom.

We are gonna be in deep dodo !!!

October 25, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  7. pawstiv1

The Republican tactic of telling outrageous lies with no worry of consequence is full blown with this story. They know this is not the truth, but don't care.....if one person in the crowd believes it, then they figure the lie is worth it....more will hear the lie than will hear the retraction if it ever comes. How sad

October 25, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  8. Joe

Yeah, 10 days left and all we hear from you is more fearmongering, still no good ideas. Greed and self-interest got this country into the mess it's in and you scoff at ideas that will require sacrifice from everyone. Aren't conservatives supposed to be about restraint? Moral restraint, fiscal restraint? Nope, I guess it's about gimme, gimme, gimme mine and screw everyone else.

Go buy a few more new outfits on the GOP's dime before they cut off your wardrobe allowance. And then go back to your $500,000 dreamhome that you used your position of power to build on what used to be a pristine lake.

Yeah, we want a phony "regular hockey mom" like you in charge instead. Sure we do.

October 25, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  9. Maddie, Hartford, Ct.

Sara Palin is out for Sara Palin. Her children don't even appear to be a priority...sad, little neglected faces sitting behind a mother who has evidently put her own needs and wishes above anyone elses. Should we believe she really cares right now how John McCain fares through this whole process?

October 25, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  10. Tom Brown

A Nanny-State? I think the last few weeks have shown that the banks/financial institutions/international corporations need a nanny to hold the greed down a notch. Obama isn't saying that the PEOPLE need a nanny, it's the CORPORATION that needs the regulation. The Founding Fathers had a healthy disrespect for the formation of corporations. They had wisdom that maybe we should respect. The corporation has been made into an entity that has all the rights and benefits of an individual, but none of the responsibility.

THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE. (Change we must as surely time does, changes call the course. YES! (We Can!))

October 25, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. Trysh in Los Angeles

I suppose a woman who doesn't raise her children would have a lot of experience in knowing Nannies. Of course, not very good ones – her 17 year old IS pregnant.

October 25, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  12. Lorenzo

GIRL PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

October 25, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. Eric ( Minnesota)

I cant believe anybody would take anything she says seriously. She is saying its dangerous to put a Democrat in the WH. This coming from a person who cant describe what the Bush Doctrine is, or couldnt describe what a precondition was. Also, she keeps calling Obama a socialist. Well, didnt she tax the oil companies in Alaska so she could cut a check to all the citizens of Alaska. Isnt that socialism. I doubt she even knows what socialism is. I mean if its dangerous to put Obama in the WH, then it is down right criminal to put Palin in the WH.

October 25, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  14. John Smith

The rule here is simple– Go and vote early, if your state allows it. I now confess that I voted proudly for the Obama/Biden ticket this afternoon. It comes with such great feeling to vote, it also helps make up for my last vote for Bush/Chaney. I continue to beg God's forgiveness for contributing to the failure of our nation by voting for Bush/Chaney; never will I vote on moral issues again. That is between the individual and his/her God. As a christian, my command from God is simple: "to love my neighbor as myself." God, and only God alone will fight issues of abortion, morality and so on. I know full well that God always chose leaders with Intelligence, such as King Solomon.

October 25, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. Texas Trail Kitty

Govenor Palin would do better by returning to Alaska and attending to the people there as well as her own family. She would not know a nanny state if it rose up and bite her. Senator Obama only seeks to help the people abandoned by the Republican party and George Bush, he does not want to run anyone's life, or RUIN anyone's life like the present President (think the Hurricane Katrina mess). Is it nanny state to help Americans who are hurting? If so, bring it on! I prefer a so-called nanny state to a government who takes my money and ignores my needs!

October 25, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  16. VT Middleton

Why haven't we heard or read more about the $150,000. spent on Gov. Palin? Is she going to be held accountabe for the clothes, the hotels, meals. and the travel expenses for her family ? What a bunch of crap this election is spreading. I have lost all respect for McCain and Palin.

October 25, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  17. Dealt, Lisbon

Isn't a minimum IQ required for VPs?

October 25, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  18. FrankSmith

October 25, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  19. SW,OHIO

Republican or Democrat, doesn't matter as long as the American people are at heart. I have noticed, the Republicans only care about the control of the Whitehouse. This is about so much more. Get in the real world, we have a crisis. I think the Republicans have damaged themselves by being selfish and our current President has left a longlasting BAD impression of Republicans that will not be forgotten for many years to come.

October 25, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  20. mattie

how true, he wants to send people checks that don't pay taxes. Why do my husband and I pay taxes all year, and than have to pay again at the end, i guess it's so people who don't pay their share already can get a bigger free ride. No thanks Mr Obama, keep your welfare state

October 25, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  21. mms

well all their offering is 4 more years of bush and the people are not going to let that happen,we are going to fight for our country with all we have!!!! VOTE NOV. 4. OR VOTE EARLY!

October 25, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. laurel

I heard about the fee the McCain campaign paid for Palin's makeup consultant. It sounds a bit, now what is that word the McCain camp is always throwing around?–oh yeah–Hollywood elite!

October 25, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  23. DenverGirl

What is she talking about??? Please make her GO AWAY!!!

October 25, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  24. MG Nashville

Sarah talking about Obama misusing power! That's rich.

Please go back to Alaska and keep an eye on those pesky Russians for us. Come back when they're defeated.

Obama/Biden NOW