October 25th, 2008

Palin warns Obama would create nanny state if elected

Gov. Palin said Saturday that Sen. Obama has a big government agenda.
Gov. Palin said Saturday that Sen. Obama has a big government agenda.

SIOUX CITY, Iowa (CNN) - Campaigning Saturday in Iowa, a state where polls show Barack Obama enjoying a healthy lead just 10 days before the election, Sarah Palin warned that putting Obama in the White House along with Democrats running both chambers of Congress will turn the country into a nanny state.

Palin cautioned Iowans that under Obama’s “big government agenda,” their income, property and investments would be “shared with everybody else.” She labeled Obama’s plan to provide tax credits to lower and middle-income wage-earners “the philosophy of government taking more, which is a misuse of the power to tax.”

“It leads to government moving into the role of taking care of you, and government and politicians and, kind of moving in as the other half of your family to make decisions for you,” she said. “Now they do this in other countries where the people are not free. Government as part of the family, taking care of us, making decisions for us. I don’t know what to think of having in my family Uncle Barney Frank or others to make decisions for me.”

With audience members shouting “socialist!” throughout her speech, the Alaska governor said that time is running out for Americans to realize the danger of a having a Democrat in the White House.

“Are we hearing what he is saying with 10 days to go?,” she asked plaintively. “Are voters hearing what he is saying about his plans for bigger government?”

At the beginning of her remarks, Palin appeared to ad-lib a riff about her much-discussed wardrobe, which has the been the subject of scrutiny since Politico reported last week that the RNC spent $150,000 on clothes for Palin and her family before the Republican National Convention in September.

“Your state is filled with good, hard-working people all loving the outdoors,” she said, “and it was nice and crisp getting off the airplane and coming into the - it reminded me a lot of Alaska, so I put my warm jacket on, and it is my own jacket. It doesn't belong to anybody else."

Palin was introduced by Col. Bud Day, who shared a cell with John McCain in Vietnam and is one of the Arizona senator’s most loyal campaign allies. Day reached back 60 years to invoke the 1948 presidential election, and said that if Harry Truman was able to come back to defeat Thomas Dewey, McCain will be able to do the same against Obama.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • Sarah Palin
  1. A NATION OF WINERS

WAKE UP SARAH !!!

YOU ARE GOING DOWN WITH EL CREEEEEPO !!!

October 25, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  2. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Go back to alaska and take your strong-arming AIP-loving husband with you.

We want OUR states to be free of the likes of YOU, Sara

October 25, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  3. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

(We've already voted for Obama – ha ha ha ha ha)

October 25, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  4. D. Jones

Palin talks loud but says nothing... the loudest person is the weakest link....

October 25, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  5. yesplace

ummm ya is the deal STOP THE LIES STOP THE HATE... WHERE IS THE LOVE ........OBAMA 08

October 25, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  6. JIM HAWK

OH SARAH PLEASE..I CAN TAKE CARE OF MY FAMILY...I DON'T NEED A NANNY.THAT'S ONLY FOR THE RICH PEOPLE LIKE YOU.
    BY THE WAY SARAH WHO IS WATCHING YOUR CHILDREN AND HOW MUCH IS COSTING THE TAXPAYER !!!

October 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  7. Another grumpy old white woman for Obama

Psycho. Egomaniac. Dangerous. Obviously possessed.
    She scares the he!! out of me.

October 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  8. gsmraleigh

Government in our lives?? Well that is what the Republican Thug party wants to do....they want to prevent gay and lesbian couples from having the same rights as heterosexuals and want to take away a woman's right to make her own decisions about her reproductive health.

October 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  9. Gia in Los Angeles

More fear and smear! All the Republicans have left!

Obama/Biden '08/'12

October 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  10. Janice

Hey Sarah can you tell me about TROOPERGATE!

October 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  11. Doug in New Mexico

And just what does this ignorant woman have to say that is meaningful and knowledgeable about anything. She is undereducated lacking in both domestic and foreign political experience and her only claim to fame is she would hunt wolves and bears from airplanes causing untold suffering. My god, I just wish she would go away. The fascist among us is calling the rest socialist. How utterly and totally ignorant.

October 25, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  12. ATL LLL

This woman is a shameful MORON! We've entrusted the "less government" "less regulations" repubs to mind the store to this point, and 99% OF THE CITZENS OF THIS COUNTRY ARE WEAKER for it! The people in charge of wall street, enron, Keating 5 , need nannies to secure all of ours future, as long as they have say over our wealth!

October 25, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  13. s

If Palin is elected, we'll have a ninny state!

October 25, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  14. the snarly old hawk squawks in fellowship square

Hey,you would think she love to create a"nanny state",the way she has been hauling her kids around on the campaign trail,she could probably use someone to help look after them.Send her and the rest of her family back to Alaska on November 5th.

October 25, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  15. Always Blue Maryland

I pray every day that this woman will disappear from the national scene very very soon. She and Tucker Bounds give me a "shiver up my spine."

October 25, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  16. Charlie Bradley

Dear Sweet Delusional Sarah,

Members of your own loop are ticked with you. Need I say more?

Why don't you call Senator McCain and ask if he regerets selecting you as his running mate now

October 25, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  17. Mark

The dangers are with repubs in office...look at the mess our country is in right now. Anybody voting for a republican at this stage is either very rich, or very stupid.

October 25, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  18. barbara

Maybe she should take her own jacket and go home to her own house (if it is indeed her's) in her own state to her own family. I think they need her more than the rest of us do.

October 25, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  19. Rorschach

Guess the best McShame and Failin have left is groundless fear tactics. Johnny, we hardly knew ye.

October 25, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  20. Penny

This comment is "off subject" from the article, but I have to ask how anyone could trust Palin to care for and support college education for our young people when she is has no interest in further education for her own family. Todd....no college.......her oldest son....18 and in the Army .....her daughter....gonna be a mommy and "baby daddy" is not even going to get through high school!!
    Anyone who votes for this ticket and then can't afford to get their kids through college, has only themselves to thank!

October 25, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  21. Republican for Obama

At least he will not use the office of the president to settle personal scores or defraud the government like you have.

October 25, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  22. VON BISMARK,Vienna.

DREAMERS!

October 25, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  23. surprised????????????????????????????

this Bud Day, isn't he the one from the liarboaters?....then, two of the same !!

October 25, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  24. sad

Whats more dangerous is having a woman who cannot complete a full sentence without sounding like a bumbling fool. Also a woman who is constantly enticing fear and anger in her followers is a disgrace to America. I don't know where this lady gets off thinking that she's some fountain of knowledge and wisdom, but she of all people needs to go sit down somewhere and shut up. Everytime she opens her mouth, I cringe. The moronic things she says...I just don't get her.

October 25, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  25. Jennifer

"and it was nice and crisp getting off the airplane and coming into the - it reminded me a lot of Alaska so I put my warm jacket on, and it is my own jacket. It doesn't belong to anybody else. My own jacket, for once, Alaska."

Does that even make sense? Is she talking to Alaska?

Whoever said the other clothes didn't belong to her? That's the point, isn't it? She was bought clothes she didn't need. I'd have had more respect for her had she borrowed something from somebody else.

October 25, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |