October 25th, 2008

Palin warns Obama would create nanny state if elected

Gov. Palin said Saturday that Sen. Obama has a big government agenda.
Gov. Palin said Saturday that Sen. Obama has a big government agenda.

SIOUX CITY, Iowa (CNN) - Campaigning Saturday in Iowa, a state where polls show Barack Obama enjoying a healthy lead just 10 days before the election, Sarah Palin warned that putting Obama in the White House along with Democrats running both chambers of Congress will turn the country into a nanny state.

Palin cautioned Iowans that under Obama’s “big government agenda,” their income, property and investments would be “shared with everybody else.” She labeled Obama’s plan to provide tax credits to lower and middle-income wage-earners “the philosophy of government taking more, which is a misuse of the power to tax.”

“It leads to government moving into the role of taking care of you, and government and politicians and, kind of moving in as the other half of your family to make decisions for you,” she said. “Now they do this in other countries where the people are not free. Government as part of the family, taking care of us, making decisions for us. I don’t know what to think of having in my family Uncle Barney Frank or others to make decisions for me.”

With audience members shouting “socialist!” throughout her speech, the Alaska governor said that time is running out for Americans to realize the danger of a having a Democrat in the White House.

“Are we hearing what he is saying with 10 days to go?,” she asked plaintively. “Are voters hearing what he is saying about his plans for bigger government?”

At the beginning of her remarks, Palin appeared to ad-lib a riff about her much-discussed wardrobe, which has the been the subject of scrutiny since Politico reported last week that the RNC spent $150,000 on clothes for Palin and her family before the Republican National Convention in September.

“Your state is filled with good, hard-working people all loving the outdoors,” she said, “and it was nice and crisp getting off the airplane and coming into the - it reminded me a lot of Alaska, so I put my warm jacket on, and it is my own jacket. It doesn't belong to anybody else."

Palin was introduced by Col. Bud Day, who shared a cell with John McCain in Vietnam and is one of the Arizona senator’s most loyal campaign allies. Day reached back 60 years to invoke the 1948 presidential election, and said that if Harry Truman was able to come back to defeat Thomas Dewey, McCain will be able to do the same against Obama.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • Sarah Palin
  1. Cate

So I guess everyone in the UK, or other countries where the government provides healthcare, are not free? This is ridiculous. She is now stopping just short of calling Obama a communist. Also interesting that she chose to use "Uncle Barney Frank"; smacks of homophobia.

October 25, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  2. Thebe

Hypocrite. Hypocrite. Hypocrite.

October 25, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. Anne in Amish Country

That darn Obama with his facts and his rational arguments and his planning for the future. Who would vote for a guy like that when you could have ready-fire-aim McCain and liar liar $150K pants on fire Palin.

October 25, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  4. A real woman for change

Leave your clothes at the door and go home put on a warm jacket and curlup with a book, may I suggest large print nursery rhyme.

October 25, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  5. lou

Any one who listens to anything this person says is as ignorant as she. She is the reason that Mccain will lose. Any other v.p. choice would have made this a squeaker.

October 25, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  6. abraxis

Hey, Knuckle Head! Before you go accusing someone of socialistic tendencies, find out what it is first.

By the way, nanny state is what you are doing with your daughter who is pregnant out of wedlock, taking her to wherever you are espousing your empty rhetoric to flat earth people, and spending money on them illegally instead of hiring a nanny to take care of them because you have political aspiration to occupy a position beyond your intellectual pay-grade. No wait, in the republican party you could become president, W did! Never-mind keep doing what you are doing, you are doing the rest of the people a huge favor by keeping out your ilk for the next 20 years.

By the way, please tell us again the role of the vice-president again. I need reinforcement of how intellectually grounded you are NOT!

October 25, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  7. Will

Somebody get these people a dictionary so they can look up the meaning of the word "socialist." This junk is getting really tiresome.

By the way, isn't our government SUPPOSED to take care of us? I mean, consider what the opposite of "taking care of us" is . . . since Palin seems to think in black-and-white, if it's not one it must be the other, right?

October 25, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  8. Jill-IN

I can't wait until Swiftboat Sarah heads back home with her devisive hateful messages.

October 25, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  9. A ROSE FROM IOWA

McCain/Palin/Bush deregulation and favoring big CEOs have all but ruined so many Main Streets and town square areas in Iowa. Get real here. What they have done is immoral and should be illegal. Now that it's time to vote the McCain/Palin/Bush candidates are back sniffing around to get votes. They have taken away so much from us. NO MORE!

Obama is NOT a Socialist. His ideas are great for small town America and big city America. I live 3 blocks from Main Street and relieved that Obama's economic plans are so good for me. Everyone I know will benefit by Obama's presidency.

October 25, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  10. JP

Does she even know what she's saying or was that spoon fed to her as well. Her own jacket for once, right and what next should we not believe? Go back to Alaska and take your clan with you.

October 25, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  11. m.e.

Better Uncle Barney Frank than Dick Cheney or the oil company execs dictating policy with government by and for the rich.

October 25, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  12. s.positive

We are not going to get a nanny state, just a government that works for all and not the few very rich. Pity that your party have run down the party that we now have to put up with $700b bailout...

October 25, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  13. My Friends, let me tell you,

she is nothing and will never amount to a hill of beans.

October 25, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  14. Johnny B. Goode

I would have liked to have Sarah as my nanny.

October 25, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  15. Raul in California

The republican party and the american people deserve better.
    It's is time to turn the page and begin a complete overhaul of the party. A party of the people and for the people. With a deep sense of public service. Country first an not politics. the future of our country is too important and we need both parties (republicans and democrats) to work together, be competent. work and find solutions to our needs : economy,jobs,energy,health care,education,restoring our international image,Irak, Afghanistan, just to mention some....
    New leadership,new message,new identity,new approach,new platform....... for the sake of the United States of America.-

Obama/Biden 08

October 25, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  16. Ohio for Obama

Dear Mrs. It's All About Me,

I would rather have Obama giving me a tax break, than you and John giving more tax breaks to your welthy friends. I am a single mom with 4 kids that I raised alone. I kept them in shoes cloths and a roof over thier heads and food on the table. I struggled all my life and tried to do the right thing. And after all of that before I could get the last one out the door. Your nafta took my job of 30 yrs. and sent it over seas. You sent my back to school to be retrained with just enough education that I can't get a job in this line of work..........because I am either too old.....or I have no experience. So I have a job that is half the amount of what i use to make..........and living with my best friend because I can not afford to live on my own.......Thanks but NO Thanks to more of the same.

October 25, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  17. Tim, Laurel MD

We are all know too well what the dangers are of having a Republican in the White House!!! 2-wars – Trillion dollar deficit – Ecnomic meltdown – Thanks Bush you've been such a great Republican President – NOT!!!!

October 25, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  18. Bill Charlotte,NC

Geeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! The diva loves to sow the hate and division!

October 25, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  19. weneedstrongleadership

Tainopower and Gary are just crying babbies because there Daddy McCain is being beaten so badly. You two just go away and suck your thumbs like good boys.

If Obama didn't have a birth certificate then why is he senator, are you all saying that the government is wrong. Don't you all think for yourselves or do you just listen to that idiot Limbaugh the Bimbaugh.

October 25, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  20. jdm

In Palin/Mcain ticket. That's rigth I said it! Goverment need to stay out of your life. That would be a good thing 8 years ago. The lack of goverment control has led us to war, a city under water, a house bubble and this gobal banking problem. I don't know about you, but we need somebody in chagre again.

October 25, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  21. Jack

It was fine for the Republicans when they had the trifecta for 6 years from 2001 to 2006..............get over yourselves!!!

It is time for a change....big time....Hop on the Obama Express!!!!

VOTE DEMOCRATIC IN 2008 ACROSS THE BOARD......SWEEP THE NEOCONS OUT!!!

October 25, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  22. Roland

What we need is a state where the governement sends checks to all citizens annually. They can accumulate this money through shrewd negotiation (read: extortion) from some of the largest companies. Oh, wait, THAT'S ALASKA!

October 25, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  23. Kingslough

Does this woman even grasp the meaning of taxation? Oh lord bless the US of A if the rethugs win again

October 25, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. MAVERICKY

Sarah -

You can't win by downing the other guy. You've got to talk up your plans and be able to defend them when questioned. Neither you or John McCain can do that.

I've seen two "interviews" with you recently , Brian Williams on NBC and on on CNN. In both cases, they went soft on you.

They didn't press you when you evaded the questions. Maybe they did this so that you'd continue to talk to them throughout the campaign, I'm not sure.

But what is clear is that your answers were SO WEAK. When you finish answering these journalists, you may think that you've accomplished something but you really haven't and any serious voter that is listening knows that. This election is lost for you and John McCain. Give it up.

Go out with some dignity. It's time to rally Americans behind the next president. You can do that without appearing to totally throw the towel in for Barack Obama ... talk about it in general terms.

One Nation ... One America ... no more divisive rhetoric ...

October 25, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  25. Mike Sutton

Again, I admit she can read. Now, when does she start taking courses in 'thinking'?

The only thing missing from GOP speeches is Cindy McCain going on tour by herself – the GOP has tried everything else, haven't they?

October 25, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |