October 26th, 2008

CNN confirms: Bill Clinton to campaign with Obama

ALT TEXT

Sen. Obama and former President Clinton greet supporters in Harlem after their September meeting. (Photo Credit: Getty Images/File)

(CNN) – In yet another sign that Democrats are putting the contentious and hard-fought primary season behind them, former President Bill Clinton will campaign with Sen. Barack Obama for the first time in Florida on Wednesday, according to Matt McKenna of the Clinton Foundation.

Sen. Hillary Clinton will not attend the event but did recently campaign with Obama in Florida, a crucial battleground state that CNN currently considers a toss-up.

The Clintons also recently campaigned together with Sen. Joe Biden and Biden’s wife, Jill, in Scranton, Pennsylvania, where both Joe Biden and Sen. Clinton have roots.

Obama met personally with former President Clinton in September at Clinton’s Harlem offices. Then, Clinton predicted that Obama would win in November “pretty handily.”

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Candidate Barack Obama • Florida • Popular Posts
  1. v.ananthan

I think Obama will win in 2008 .
    But in 2012 , Sarah Palin will be Obama¨s opponent and debates will be spectacular...

October 25, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Let's Bring America Back to the good ole' days of the SURPLUS we had under Clinton. So, he made a bad moral decision. Who shall throw the first stone??? At least he didn't send our troops into harms way with a "fake' pretentious battle...

October 25, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  3. Juan Grain

Come on down!

October 25, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  4. Chris

Let us analyze this very carefully.

It is very easy to predict who will win Florida.

In '00, Bush won Florida by 0.5 points.

In '04, as an incumbent, who always has an advantage, Bush won in Fl by 5 points.

With the economy hitting Florida so hard, it is impossible for Florida to pledge allegiance to a republican again.

Obama will win Florida, and therefore win the election.

This is because a republican cannot win the election without all the southern states.

October 25, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  5. positive-people

The world would have been so perfect with this 2 people ruling the whole Universe.i love yah

October 25, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  6. Peachbird

Where is everyone? Am I the only one that still feels like chattin' up the blogs? Let me think.... where are they? Of COURSE.... they're out there voting for Barack Obama!

October 25, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  7. CL

Ready to lead.

October 25, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  8. jim7ny

Obama will win 'pretty handily' says Uncle Bill.

Where was he when it was not so handy a month ago?

Like most self-serving pols, Clinton's hopping on the coattails he and his wife worked so hard to fill up with mud. He just doesn't want to be left behind.

October 25, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  9. BM

Yeah Bubba! I have a renewed respect for you and Hillary.Tongue and teeth fall out sometimes, but you need both to live happily ever after.I just bit my tongue(lol)
    Obama/Biden08

October 25, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  10. Sue in Florida

Welcome President Clinton to Florida. Looking forward to you both
    visiting our state.

Floridians for Obama/Biden ( although a former Hillary supporter)

October 25, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  11. Hopeful

Glad Bill's letting bygones be...

October 25, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  12. prayingforshalom

Of course, Clinton waited until Obama was well ahead in the polls.

He is at a point where he needs to save any political capital he has left.

How noble of you, Mr. President.

October 25, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  13. Engan Natarajan

I came to this country 40 yrs ago with an engineering degree. In india USA means Kenneday. When I became US citizen I signed up with Demo party. I voted for President Carter. Later as demos did not choose a vaible candidate and I felt President Regan was a good choice. Later I voted for senior Bush. Then came our favorite President Clinton. Mr. Bush was elected by Supremcourt and by FEAR tactic. I thought Senator Clinton would be a good choice. I was little petrubed on Obama when he did not elect Senator Clinton as his VP. Based on Obama 's inexperince I was NOT decided until I heard the debates! I am voting for President OBAMA and I, along with many retirees, HOPE he keeps his promises made during his debates. We are hurting with high taxes on Social Security. That should be eliminated soon.
    Thanks for listening. Engan Natarajan

October 25, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  14. arlene, CA

Clinton & Obama both looking good. It's almost over, i will be glad. Obama will win I do believe it. Obama /Biden 08 – 12 Change We Need.

October 25, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  15. Sarge in Florida

About time...We love Bill in Florida and Obama needs his help in this State/ I would love to see Bill side by side with Obama and Biden in all the battle ground states. That would sure rap up votes.

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 25, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  16. right source

NOVEMBER 4TH!!!

DEMS RULE!!!!!

October 25, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  17. linda from prescott

NOW THAT'S GOING TO BE SOMETHING GOOD TO WATCH.
    CLINTON AND OBAMA TOGETHER, I WISH I COULD SEE IT, THEY WILL BE AWESOME.

October 25, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  18. Louise in CA

It's about time.

October 25, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  19. MEP

Bill Clinton is a strong presence with a great economic track record. But his comments have not always been what his endorsees would wish for. Clinton is an iconic figure when the argument is the economy. He understands the concerns of the Florida audience– Hillary will be a hard act to follow: jobs, baby ,jobs!

October 25, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  20. Frank G

Don't you mean pulls it out of Obama's back?

October 25, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  21. Wayne H. Wagie

Positive people create positive results, I'm looking forward to positive results and I believe the world will be a better place to live in with Obama as President.

October 25, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  22. Mighty Joe Young

It is good that Democrats are closing ranks against America's old enemy: Conservatism. It is urgently important that Conservatism be crushed this election and eliminated as a force in national politics. The nation cannot survive another Conservative administration.

October 25, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  23. Gambi

You go Guys !
    Vote early ! Vote Nov 4th !
    Just Vote ! ..........Obama/ Biden

October 25, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  24. Butch Dillon

When Barack Obama wins the presidency, it will be because he carried the load by himself, all the way and without the help of Bill Clinton. In reality, a joint appearance works more in Clinton's favor than Barack's. He's looking for redemption and a new place in the party, two wishes he does not deserve coming true. I just hope Obama has enough soap to wash away the stain of being near Clinton.

October 25, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |