October 26th, 2008

Obama says McCain 'finally giving us a little straight talk'

Sen. Obama said Sunday McCain is 'finally giving us a little straight talk'.
Sen. Obama said Sunday McCain is 'finally giving us a little straight talk'.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama said Sunday that Sen. John McCain was now "owning up to the fact that he and George Bush actually have a whole lot in common."

"Just this morning, Sen. McCain said that, actually, he and President Bush - 'share a common philosophy.' That's right, Colorado. I guess that was John McCain finally giving us a little straight talk," Obama said at a rally in Denver.

Obama was referring to McCain's Sunday interview on NBC's "Meet the Press." NBC's Tom Brokaw pointed to a review of McCain's record, which showed he voted with Bush 92 percent of the time.
"So it's a little hard for the public to separate you from this administration, isn't it?" Brokaw said.
McCain highlighted times he has broken with the current administration, saying, "So do we share a common philosophy of the Republican Party? Of course.

"But I've stood up against my party, not just President Bush, but others; and I've got the scars to prove it," he said. "Do I respect President Bush? Of course I respect him. But I pointed out we were on the wrong track in a whole lot of ways."

Obama said Sunday that in the final days of campaigning, voters can expect from the McCain campaign "the same kind of politics that we've seen over the last eight years. It's a politics that is more about tearing your opponent down than lifting your country up."

"We're not going to let George Bush pass the torch to John McCain," Obama said.

Update: McCain-Palin campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds released the following statement in response:

“Barack Obama can’t name a single issue or philosophy on which he’s opposed the Democratic-controlled Congress – not one. John McCain opposed President Bush’s wasteful spending policy, his Big Oil energy policy and his efforts to grow the federal government by 40% – Obama supported Bush on all three," Bounds said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. ghost

I can't wait for this nightmare to be over and see McCain retire to one of his many homes. Remember to get out and VOTE!

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  2. Georgia for Obama

The straight talk is I voted for Obama/Biden Oct 22, 2008

Early vote for Obama/Biden 08

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. ET from OMAHA

I don't need to look at the polls. I just need to look at the clouds for McCain compare to OBAMA in the same Area.
    That is the real poll.

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. David

I don't like Socialism. I don't like Bush. I don't like McCain. Palin is a freak-o!

Go Obabma!!!!!!

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. Go OBAMA

does mccain & palin realize the world is watching

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  6. Frank from Peterborough

I haven't ever in recent memory seen such a disorganized campaign where they irratically jump from one issue to another then back again with being for something before they were against or suspend a campaign to rescue the world like a little child might dream about.

McCain has just realized the videos showing him telling the world he supported George Bush 90% of the time was contradicting what he was trying to lie to the people about being a Maverick.

He's just a pathetic loser and has disgraced himself beyond ever being able to restore any respectability to his image.

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. teri

Remember everyone, don't be complacent, vote early and then offer rides to the elderly or the first time voters. Make sure the first time voters bring all necessary ID with them, and understand how to properly fill out ballots, e.g. can't mark straight party ticket and then mark Obama. I am a registered Independent and I have never been this excited about an election. Go Obama/Biden 08

October 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  8. Pitchfork Grover

if Palin hates socialism so much i hope she refunds all the state of alaska checks she and her family received in the past and in the future.

-------
    Dan quayle won't even campaign with her??

October 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  9. JACKED-UP-POLITICS, FLORIDA

Anyone still looking to vote for McCain/Palin ticket needs to see a psychiatrist. And I will offer free visits. I don't believe that some are really listening to what that ticket is saying or better yet what they are not saying.

FOLKS WAKE UP AND NOT BE STUCK ON STUPID!!!

October 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. Juan Grain

A little but not enough to trust him with the Presidency!

October 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  11. Lucy

McLoser giving some straight talk? He doesn't even know what color his socks are. Wouldn't you think McMossie could give us some straight talk? No, she's still having a tantrum about Katie Couric. Let's get rid of these two McLosers asap and get on to some real stuff, I don't have time for McSameLosers. Isn't there a McVillage idiot missing in AZ and a McMammalBushMeatKiller missing in AK??

Obama/Biden '08/12

October 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  12. Bob in Baltimore

Some scars.....5 houses, 7 luxury cars, 30 years of BS in the Senate, and now he surrounds himself with Barbie Doll Cindy and Caraboo-boo Palin.....Yea, some scars!

John, you were a war hero but that does not translate to good economic policy. Get some gonads and fire all your venom spewing liars you seem to be so endeared to! Do that if you want to impress me!

October 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  13. Brian, Quad Cities

As Obama closes the deal, I'll bet Bush & Cheney have a warehouse of paper shredders working overtime at this point

October 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  14. Gary in OK

During the Meet The Press interview, McCain stated that he had no respect for the numerous polls showing him behind. I guess he feels that he should have his own personal poll with only his family being polled.

Does everyone notice that McCain has to hold a pen during the interviews? If you watch closely, you will notice how much his hands shake. I feel this is from 20 % anger and 80 % old timers disease.

And again, no direct answers to any of the direct questions. Why would Meet The Press even give him any air time ?

October 26, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  15. michael

i think she meant hopeful democratsmaybe she makes over a quarter millon dollars per year

October 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  16. X-Republican in Texas for Obama

Obama might not be running against President Bush, but he sure is running against he's policies. McCain admitted voting with Bush 90% of the time well I'm not willing to take a 10% chance that he'll be any different than what we've had for the last eight year.

October 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  17. independent voting

I voted for Obama 26 times. Thanks ACORN.

October 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  18. ah_heck

Anyone beleiving anything Obama says are fools.

Mr Obama works on the power of suggestion and persuasion, he has exploited the minds of American People.

His vast Advertising barraging the minds of Americans 24/7, using his reinforcement cue words to keep his mind conditioning working.

His speeches and statements planting the seeds, and his advertising ran on the people to feed those seeds in peoples minds.

He is exploiting you and using you, abusing your minds Intentional and on purpose.

He is not running an adverting campaign, he is running a brainwashing campaign.

When all is said and done, he is a man with a speech full of promises, The Greatest is to change your government, who came from now where, with nothing. Who has made promises to good to be true, and will not deliver what you want or need. he will Change your government though. That is all he is.

Would he have needed a billion dollars to make you beleive him if he was more?

Wake up People, He has played you and tricked you, with your own mind. It has been done in the past to people, and is being done now.

Right now he is into Over Stimulation of your mind. hopefully he will not crash your minds.

Step back, get control of your senses and do not let him, make you do something you will regret for the rest of your lives.

October 26, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  19. hometowndemocrat

Joe the Plumber....you're either joking or you're dumb as a fence post!

I hope you were joking. If you weren't, then I hope you live nowhere near me and my family!

October 26, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  20. Steve in CA

I like how all of these republicans accuse Obama of being a socialist when they must not understand what that really means.. socialism means that the government owns the means of production, which by nationalizing banks, is kind of exactly what the current republican administration is now doing. Too bad the republican party is comprised of and caters to the lowest common denominator in this country.

October 26, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  21. Bob in Baltimore

Hey Vote for McCain Palin,

If GW is so great, where is Bin Laden????

Get educated instead of spewing some else's rhetoric and stupid statements....Makes you look dumber than a 1st grader!

October 26, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |