October 26th, 2008

Palin and Hasselbeck blast 'ridiculous' wardrobe story

, ,
Palin blasted the media for focusing on the $150,000 wardrobe story.
Palin blasted the media for focusing on the $150,000 wardrobe story.

TAMPA, Florida (CNN) – Ensuring that news of the Republican National Committee's sartorial spending spree will remain in the headlines for at least one more news cycle, Sarah Palin on Sunday sounded off on the $150,000 wardrobe that was purchased for her in September, denouncing the report as "ridiculous" and declaring emphatically: "Those clothes, they are not my property."

A senior adviser to John McCain told CNN's Dana Bash that the comments about her wardrobe "were not the remarks we sent to her plane this morning." Palin did not discuss the wardrobe story at her rally in Kissimmee later in the day.

But in Tampa, Palin happily broached the clothing issue after being introduced by "The View" co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck, who accused Palin's opponents of being "fixated on her wardrobe" and "deliberately sexist."

That opened the door for Palin to weigh in on a topic that has frustrated the candidate and her advisers since the story first broke five days ago.

"This whole thing with the wardrobe, you know I have tried to just ignore it because it is so ridiculous, but I am glad now that Elisabeth brought it up, cause it gives me an opportunity without the filter of the media to get to tell you the whole clothes thing," she said.

"Those clothes, they are not my property. Just like the lighting and the staging and everything else that the RNC purchased, I'm not taking them with me. I am back to wearing my own clothes from my favorite consignment shop in Anchorage, Alaska. You'd think - not that I would even have to address the issue because, as Elisabeth is suggesting, the double standard here it's - gosh, we don't even want to waste our time."

Palin, however, forged on.

"I am glad, though, that she brought up accessories also. Let me tell you a little bit about a couple of accessories, didn't think that we would be talking about it, but my earrings - I see a Native Americans for Palin poster," she said. "These are beaded earrings from Todd's mom who is a Yupik Eskimo up in Alaska, Native American, Native Alaskan.

"And my wedding ring, it's in Todd's pocket, 'cause it hurts sometimes when I shake hands and it gets squished," she continued. "A $35 wedding ring from Hawaii that I bought myself and 'cause I always thought with my ring it's not what it's made of, it's what it represents, and 20 years later, happy to wear it. And then finally the other accessory, you bet I'm a gold - I'm a blue star mom. I'm wearing this in honor of my son who is fighting over in Iraq right now defending all of you."

After spending four minutes on the shopping escapade, Palin switched gears and trained her sights on Barack Obama, who, she said, is prematurely measuring the White House drapes.

"Barack Obama and I, we both have spent quite some time on the basketball court," she said. "But where I come from, you have to win the game before you start cutting down the nets."

Palin accused the Democrat of renting a stadium for a victory party on November 4.

That's actually not the case - Obama's rally on election night will be held outdoors in Grant Park in downtown Chicago.

"They've overlooked though the minor detail of earning your confidence and your trust and winning your votes," she said.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. barbara miller

RNC Purchases: No one would have cared if they had purchased 'regular' clothes instead of designer clothes. THAT is the point that seems to be overlooked. It was ill-advised to go to Neimen Marcus and
    Saks to purchase expensive items and to pay $22,000 in two weeks for makeup for Ms. Palin. Is there no one in the McCain campaign who thinks clearly? They knew they'd have to put these line items in their reports. Like everything else with McCain's campaign – very poor judgment! They should have just owned up to their mistake and this whole thing would be LONG OVER!

October 26, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. Gail AL.

The wardrobe Story would be funny if this wasn't so serious. The media has picked Palin apart, and so has Obama, then Biden gets asked a question they don't like , or wasn't expecting, and they stop all interviews. well BOO-HOO iT'S TIME SOMEBODY STARTED ASKING SOME QUESTIONS. Katie Couric is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and Joy Bahar is an idiot, Barbara Walters is not far behind her.
    I know Americians are not stupid enough to elect Obama. They know better

The polls can not be trusted. The dems are always ahead in every election. People will tell you one thing and do another, they won't tell you they won't vote for a black man, nor the media,but election results will
    MCCAIN -PALIN 08

October 26, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  3. Lyle

The sexist attacks and biased media coverage launched against Sarah Palin is the same as that launched against Hillary Clinton. Not only did the media give up all objectivity when Mr. Obama announced his bid for the Presidency, they have also made it clear that women are not welcome in the White House.

October 26, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  4. Keith in VA Beach

The McCain-Babbling jesus freak campaign is an absolute joke. If McCain wins it will no doubt be yet another stolen election. This time however, many Americans like myself simply won't let it slide. There will be a huge backlash against the government if Barack Obama is not elected. It will be the begining of the end for America as we know it.

October 26, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  5. Amy

CNN you are so in the tank for Obama it's just sad and pathetic you won't even post my positive comments about Sarah Palin-typical. What else should anyone expect from the liberal media trying to help Obama win the election. Too bad it won't work and will fall apart for you. So keep on with all the hype for Obama your network will suffer for it. Great business decision. GO fox news!!!

October 26, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  6. Jennifer

lol. Palin..hockey mom? or one of those airheads in sex and the city. I think she loves to spend and live big. If she is claiming to be a hocky mom like me, then she should see my wardrope and try and put on my clothes which i get from target and sales.
    Palin is very hypocritical.she should start a talk show like her buddy Mike Huckabee on FixNews lol.

October 26, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  7. KG

If obama wins and is then proven a non citizen ,which is being tested in court ,then what. Obama talked about his birth certificate in his book but can't seem to produce it. Hmmmm

October 26, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  8. True Reformer

Whether or not the clothes are yours, you are suppose to be the true reformer and outsider who will shake up Washington.

Flying your kids around with you to events and shopping for expensive clothes tell independents that you are just another hypocritical politician.

October 26, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  9. funjoekers

Talk about the real issues and gives us a plan instead of telling us about your wardrobe and ring.

October 26, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. Abe

Palin will not go down quietly.. just watch. She'll blame the lose on McCain and the Republicans for making her look like incompetent and not ready by making her look fragile.

She'll be denouncing John McCain and will be the front runner for President in 2012.

October 26, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  11. McCain=the draft

***VOTE***VOTE***VOTE***VOTE**

October 26, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  12. independent voting

Sarah looks great. Take care of herself even after having 5 kids. Most women who go after her are fat and ugly. Michelle Obama is hiding something..she's got some junk in her trunk. Plus Elisabeth on The View is the hottest one. Whoopi is butt ugly.

October 26, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. The Cosmos & McCain Rocks!

»Interesting news.Sarah Palin=So GREAT!

October 26, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  14. Ben

sarah palin will now become the maverick of the mccain campaign...bucking the campaign's good ole boys in their last strategic move to raise her positives.

October 26, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  15. Olivia Rios

A new high-ed wodrobe $150K

Make-up for the elitist $26K

Sending Palin the fraud back to Alaska PRICELESS

October 26, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  16. Ashley for THE TRUE AMERICAN... MCCAIN!

I just don't see how anyone who is a TRUE AMERICAN can vote for someone who won't even salute the AMERICAN FLAG or say the PLEDGE! You have to be an idiot not to see who the right person is for the job... Obama shouldn't even be a candidate. He doesn't deserve the title. How can you lead the country when you don't respect it? I just don't understand the stupidity you Obama supports have.. I don't understand it at all...

October 26, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. jm from sc

Who cares, Palin need to go back to Alaska. She will probably lose the election the next time she runs for governor since the people of Alaska got to really know her.

October 26, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  18. Susie

They spend just about as much as the far left liberals spend. Who cares? Someone very high up wants Obama elected and is buying the media to not tell the truth. We should all be very afraid of our free speech rights if Obama gets elected as this election has been cencored by the far left from the beginning.

Well all you blood sucking liberals...when the far right stops paying taxes caused by Obama and his nuts and there is no more money to suck from the hard working conservatives becuase you have taxed us to death...hope your savior is there to provide you food, clothing and shelter...oh yes and lets not forget medical care and social security.

October 26, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  19. Texas Teacher

Dan in Tx. Watch, "my friend".. you may be surprised at what happens before this election is over! I put nothing past the Republicans... they will do anything to get McCain elected..... trust me, Bush will create a situation just like the Russia/Georgia thing. I think they actually believe that it will point up how much better McCain could handle these situations. It's pathetic! Obama will handle any crisis better than the Republicans! He has the intelligence and the wisdom to do so. And he has History on his side..... He KNOWS it as a college professor knows his subject matter.... inside out! Obama is the man for the job in temperment and intellect!

October 26, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  20. AA

Keep talking, SPal.

The more you talk, the more that the RNC sinks.

The more you talk, the more Dem voters go out an make sure that you are 4,000 miles away from making ANY decisions for OUR country.

I wish the media gave her MORE airtime. There are not enough imbeciles left in the country that would actually vote for her to make a positive difference in their chances.

Peace.

October 26, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  21. Gia in Los Angeles

It's NOT Palin's opponents who are saying ANYthing about her clothes. It's the media and the pundits. Don't go blaming Obama and Biden for things they have no involvement in!

Obama/Biden '08/'12 for ALL of America!

October 26, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  22. Griff

Away to go, Sarah. I finally have the Democrats figured.
    Barack Obama is just a Pupet, for Joe Bided... That's why he is making all theses comments about Obama, not being ready anfd going to be tried. Joe Biden Is running for Joe Biden, and the rest of the Dem's... Barack Obama is just the Dummy!

October 26, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  23. Al

I bet all of that cost less than Barack's faux-temple to himself or using an NFL stadium for his acceptance speech...

October 26, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  24. X Republican

Dear Diary,
    What a mess Mc Cain has made of this party, Oh no he didn't he invited the most goofy, retarded, and imbecilit clown he could bine. She's like a Goergia Bush.

October 26, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |